• Total voters

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My Verizon contract is up in May.

I'm debating whether to go to ATT and get an iPhone or staying with Verizon and getting the Blackberry Storm.

If you had your druthers, which would you choose? I know a couple people here who have iPhones and was wondering how much they love them.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
I have Verizon, also, and am satisfied with the service and range, though all I use it for is just as a telephone and have never Internetted with it, so I chose 'eggplant' since they both connect me to the Internet equally.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I want to be connected to AW at ALL TIMES! So thus my question. I want an embilical cord to this place so I can chat no matter where. In the car. At my son's basketball games. At the in-laws instead of socializing.

I want to be connected!

So I was just curious how the touchscreens and other features compared.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help with the phone, but AT&T took over my old service provider last year and so far I've had no problems with them whatsoever.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I want to be connected to AW at ALL TIMES! So thus my question. I want an embilical cord to this place so I can chat no matter where. In the car. At my son's basketball games. At the in-laws instead of socializing.

I want to be connected!

So I was just curious how the touchscreens and other features compared.

Seriously??!! I prefer RL socializing. Real beer tastes so much better than virtual beer.

Um...I want whatever the free phones are. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We had AT&T two years ago, prior to switching. The service was fine, except--and maybe this was because we had the cheap free phone--I couldn't make a call in our own basement.

I have no issue with either company, neither gave us any trouble. Now Sprint, on the other hand, well... :rolleyes:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
My old phone finally did bite the dust not long after its camera died, so I just got a new one about three weeks ago. I got the next phone up from the free one, because I really didn't like the free one. I'm weird, I like flip phones.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone I know who uses a blackberry (I honestly only know of one person who uses an iphone and he's in college) keeps it in a case. You have to or movement will cause the buttons to get pushed and it makes calls. I have a friend who doesn't keep her blackberry in a case and she calls me all the time. I get to hear the sounds of her pants swishing.

ETA: You also need to consider the added monthly expense for internet service.

ETAA: Blackberry's seemed to be used by more professionals, IMHO.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We were going to drop our landline phone and just go with cellphones, so the added internet expense will be offset by that. And my oldest is starting to text :rolleyes: so we'll probably be adding that feature to our phones, too.

Don't these phones have locks? Even my old cheap phone had a lock combination so you couldn't accidently send with it.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know about the locks, but I have 3 teenagers and my advice is to get unlimited texting. My kids will text around 3,000 messages a month each. Plus I text. So we're looking at 10,000 texts a month. FWIW

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about iphones, but my boss moved from a Treo to a Blackberry recently. Blackberry is supported by the workplace, so they cover part of the monthly charges which they didn't do for the Treo.

Her experience has been good with the Blackberry. The one time she needed support, she was able to get through to the company, understand the person she was talking to, and got everything resolved in under a half-hour. Whatever they had to do to reset her PDA didn't cost her any data either, which she was surprised and grateful for.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I want my phone to make phone calls. I don't want a phone that has a camera, text messages, connects me to the internet or can cook me a microwave dinner. But, that is me.

When I lived in LA, the blackberry was the hot phone to have. My dance teacher had one and loved it. I don't know if the iphone was out at that time. FWIW

Don't know about the locks, but I have 3 teenagers and my advice is to get unlimited texting. My kids will text around 3,000 messages a month each. Plus I text. So we're looking at 10,000 texts a month. FWIW
Oh. my. god. ... I really don't understand texting that much. It's so much faster to call the person and talk to them.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. my. god. ... I really don't understand texting that much. It's so much faster to call the person and talk to them.

Not in the middle of class. :rolleyes: And I like it for that reason. I can text my girls while they're at school, when I need to get them a message.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
On the texting issue, I'm with you, buns. My wife has friends at work who are texting all the time and they wonder why we don't. Her response is, it's easier to call and have a 5 second conversation then to sit and text back and forth several times to get the same answer.

It also amazes me how anyone can text with those teeny tiny keyboards. My thumbs are too big for that, I'm thinking.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
The only situation that I can see using text messaging is when I know the person can't answer the phone and I need to get a message to them immediately. Other than that, it seems like a waste of time. *shrug*

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
That's how I use texting, Bunny. But the kids have gotten SO used to it, it's a standard form of communication for them. We chose not to fight it in our house.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know which one is better, but my boss has an Iphone and I love it because now I can email her instead of call her and she can answer at her leisure. And if someone calls, I can email the number and all she has to do is tap the number and the Iphone dials it. :)

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I've played with iPhone, and the interface is that easy, with a big virtual keypad. The Storm seems a little more finicky that way.

If there's an Apple store near you, you can play with iPhone yourself ad infinitum.