PDA

View Full Version : Is size important...

Quiksilver
01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
hi all,

Ok - It seems that in the UK, most agents ask for a synopsis and first three chapers, along with a query letter for first submissions.

Now, for some reason, maybe something I've read in the past, I have it in my head to send a stamped self addressed A4 envelope, so that the agent can send back my chapters.

Is there any point of this? It can get quite expensive, and doesn't the agent only need an email address, or small stamped envelope to send their reply (rejection... :-))? Or do they not like having to dispose of sample chapters?

Any thoughts very much appreciated

Cheers,
Quiksilver

Danthia
01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I sent a #10 envelope SASE and said they could recycle the samples pages. This is common and no one thinks twice about it anymore. And so many accept e-mail queries, use that when you can to save even more paper and money.

scarletpeaches
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I've always enclosed an A4 envelope for them to send the pages back. I'd rather use them again to save wasting paper.

scope
01-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Ditto to what Danthia said.

Quiksilver
01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Cheers guys

Laura Lond
01-23-2009, 03:57 AM
I've been sending out #10 SASE envelopes, too. And I love email queries. :)

Madisonwrites
01-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I only do e-mail queries right now. But when I snail mailed I always enclosed a SASE for mailed back sample chapters and the agency's response. :)

Good luck and happy writing! :D

flyingtart
01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I sent a #10 envelope SASE and said they could recycle the samples pages. This is common and no one thinks twice about it anymore. And so many accept e-mail queries, use that when you can to save even more paper and money.

Me too!

Even if you do ask for your manuscript back I'd advise against sending it to anyone else as nothing turns them off more than a dirty, dog-eared manuscript. :e2writer:

Good luck!

JJ Cooper
01-23-2009, 03:58 PM
As stated above, add a note stating that you care for the environment and that you would appreciate it if they would recycle your pages. A normal size stamped-envelope will cover the form rejection if they send one (not saying you'll get rejected of course).

JJ