Man vs. Wild or Survivorman?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to watch them compete against each other in a survival scenario. If they did, who do you think would last?

My son thinks Survivorman would be the victor.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
survirorman is 100 times better. Man vs Wild seems too staged and experimental. It's a good show, but of a far different type than S. // the victor would probably be the Man. The guy is like a machine :-O

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Lately, Man vs. Wild has made me more nauseated from what he eats than interested in his survival skills.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...for some reason "gross" is a big draw for tv audiences. Never understood why? PS Any new survivorman shows on lately? Haven't checked in awhile.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If I were gonna be stuck in the middle of the Kalahari and I could choose one person to be with me: Les Stroud. He can do it without the camera crew and back-up hangers-on.

That said... it's off to Movies and Television for the lot o' ye! Hang on!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
My son said there have mainly been only reruns on. I wish he would make some new episodes.

In the meantime, do you have any good outdoor stories to tell?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
In the meantime, do you have any good outdoor stories to tell?

I camped out in the woods for a week last January and nearly froze to death at night. When you're up moving about your body stays warm, but when you lay down, your temp falls fast. Overall fun time, though. Great way to vacation and escape the daily grind.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
My father has some great outdoor stories. For example, there was the time he passed a kidney stone while he was up in a tree hunting from a deer stand.

My outdoor stories are rather mild in comparison except for the time I was riding a 3 wheeler and got chased by 3 guys in a truck. Backwoods bunch of freaks! The thing that saved me was mud. Their truck got hung up in it. Hehehe. Thank God for mud!

Sincerely,
Gehanna

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Love Les Stroud, haven't seen Man Vs Wild.
My favorite was the Pacific Island. I think I figured out where I'm going when I buy my sailboat :D :banana: Hey, I'm only going in one direction...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I love Bear from Man vs Wild...mostly, I just like to watch him take his shirt off! :)

I've never watched Survivorman though...

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I always thought they should have the two complete as well, but then Bear would be further proven to be a joke. Man vs Wild has become so outlandish and all about stunts, even his admitting he has a crew can't save it. Why can't they show his crew? Why can't it be bear lead some daredevil team just doing crazy crap?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I love Bear from Man vs Wild...mostly, I just like to watch him take his shirt off! :)

Les takes his shirt off, too... but I have to admit, Bear's better looking.

Here's a link to the latest: Season 3. Just started January 12th in Canada, but we've been seeing it in the States since last November.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen one episode of Survivorman.
In it, he landed on a beach (with an enormous pack on his back) that just happened to have an old shack on it, which he patched up with some very new looking plywood that just happened to have floated in on the tide. He then slept inside his repaired house with a big 'ole gun by his side and a hunk of whale blubber in his hand that his guide had apparently given him. I turned over at that point.

I was expecting something more along the lines of - "No food, no shelter, no water, just a knife and a whole lot of know-how."

The other episodes may well be better, but that one didn't seem very survivor-y to me :(

JAK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnakarr.com
I like them both. Good tips from both. But for the average guy who was not a special forces dude, and would probably walk around a sheer cliff rather than climb it, I think Survivorman has the edge.

To the earlier point about Bear eating all sorts of nastiness. I didn't mind too much until the Belize jungle episode when he killed what looked to be a six foot boa. Not a huge snake fan, but didn't see the need for him to dispatch something that big, even if it was to feed his "crew" (cameraman). It was clearly too much meat for them and doubtless they wasted what they didn't eat. And yeah, if I were starving I'd do the same, but it seemed gratuitous.

LadyVonFright

Registered
Reaction score
I like Man Vs. Wild
I am Man Vs. Wild

except, Im a girl...well...possibly part monkey as well :D

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I did watch one Man Vs Wild: the Aussie guy paratroops into the Yukon and tunnels a freakin' glacier to safety. It spoils it a little, him having a crew at arm's length during the activities. Les and his one man crew act just feels more primal.
But seeing those snow capped mountains and great white north tundra, just makes me feel good. Don't care who's taking snapshots.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score

Oh- he takes off more than his shirt- I swear he thinks of reasons to get naked or pee on something- I like survivorman better because Les is all by his lonesome out there, no crew, no backup, just him.

Bear is better looking, but he is way to into himself.(although I did like the episode where he puked up the goat testicle:e2brows:)

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Bear would win. Simply because he'd wait for Les to fall asleep, then eat him like he eats every other creepy-crawly thing in the jungle.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
No Bear would pee on Les first, then eat him. His answer is to pee on everything.

Not that I have a wang, but if I did, I wouldn't be whipping it out against the elements. I used to let my nieces watch Bear, but one night they came out in front of their mother and said, 'Hey Kristin, Bear is naked and doing push ups in the snow. Won't it freeze off?'

Sometimes Les has a theme for a show, like the one in alaska where he has to have a gun against polar bears and he is given seal meat, but I do feel he's more authentic. He isn't making new eps, I hear, because its really taken its toll on him. I mean, we're supposed to believe Bear has gone a week without water in the desert, but he has to stop every five minutes to inform us that another crew member has been air lifted out do to dehydration. One, how many crew does he effing have, and two, aren't you thirsty, Bear?

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I've only seen one episode of Survivorman.
In it, he landed on a beach (with an enormous pack on his back) that just happened to have an old shack on it, which he patched up with some very new looking plywood that just happened to have floated in on the tide. He then slept inside his repaired house with a big 'ole gun by his side and a hunk of whale blubber in his hand that his guide had apparently given him. I turned over at that point.

I was expecting something more along the lines of - "No food, no shelter, no water, just a knife and a whole lot of know-how."

The other episodes may well be better, but that one didn't seem very survivor-y to me :(

I saw that episode. That was up in the tundra. That shack is a little fishing/hunting shelter for people hunting. They gave him a fishing pole and the blubber because without some sort of essentials you'll just die. Watch an episode where he's in a more temperate or even tropical or desert climate. They give him a lot less stuff. Once they only let him have his multitool and his camera equipment.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Needless to say I'm a Les Stroud fan all the way. I heard rumor that he was going to start a new show or at least update Survivorman by including his entire family or something like that. Has anyone heard anything like that?

Remember when it was found out the Bear Grylls had a camera crew with him. Immediately after Les and his team made an episode pointing out that Les is actually by himself. My dad still doesn't believe that Les is alone out there in the wilderness.

Why doesn't Bear cook any of his food? The few episodes I've seen he always eats his food raw even when he does have time to build a fire and cook it or save it when he has to lay down for the evening and cook it then.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Man vs. Wild wins by a long shot. 1000 times better.

I tried watching an episode of Survivorman once. He just sat in a tent and talked to his camera. For three days. It was ridiculous and boring.

Bear's the man. He may have a crew, but he does a lot more with a lot less stuff.