The AW Blackout: How much writing did you get done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
The Great AW Blackout of January 2009 will forever be remembered as a terrible time for members. The withdrawal symptoms were unbearable and our lives seemed empty.

But for all of the horror, how much writing did you get done?!

I got one and a half pages out in the space of an hour or something on Saturday. I was very impressed. If I didn't have a protest on on the Sunday I would've written more.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Almost none. But I played an incredible number of games of Breaking Bricks.

Glad someone got something done! :)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
About 14,000 words.

Show off. ;) congratulations. thats awesome

i got no writing done but i did meet some really nice new people in the chat room. but the great outage did make me re-examine my writing and i sent off a story. but no actual words were created on paper.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
but the great outage did make me re-examine my writing and i sent off a story. but no actual words were created on paper.

It was such a stark example of how things can suck up our time that could be spent writing. I guess Sean was on to something.

It reminded me of when I was in high school and lived with my parents. They'd moderate when I could go on the internet, mostly I couldn't go on before a certain time because we had dial-up and there might be phone calls.

But in that time of no internet, that was when I wrote. There wasn't that much else to do.

Now I'm not advocating leaving AW, but some restraint every now and then would be good. Like maybe a period of shutting down email, IM, web browser etc. and only leaving your word processor open.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I've been frantically writing about 2000 words worth of material.

Unfortunately, all of them went down the dumps, as I felt they weren't working.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
I finished a novella (about 3,000 words), but more importantly, I edited 250 pages of my novel.

I never quite realized how much time I spent on this site until it was down. Kinda scary...

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I devoted those days to practicing guitar...something that the internet can't really distract me from doing......

Man I really need to reevaluate my priorities...

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Started my internship, 6 page coverage on a script. Does that count?
Unfortunately I had too much job hunting stuff to do (and a really bad cold) so better luck next--I mean, hope it picks up.

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get any writing done, but I read six books (ok, so three of them were short category romances), and watched ALL of Speed TV's Barrett-Jackson car auction. I discovered several new, fun, authors, and saw some beautiful cars!

Diamond Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Hm, after I got through those painful withdrawal symptoms, I wrote about 6 pages over the weekend. So that's how writers in Ye Olden Days cranked out so many stories and books--no AW! :tongue

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
They'd moderate when I could go on the internet, mostly I couldn't go on before a certain time because we had dial-up and there might be phone calls.
But in that time of no internet, that was when I wrote. There wasn't that much else to do.
Or you could belong to the cable company here that we subscribe to and get only intermittent service.... I swear, between AW being down, then my internet and phone being down, I did get more writing done than I have in awhile. I even snail mailed five submissions (to places that take snail mail).

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
About ten words. I blame it all on the host of our beloved and busier-than-usual #absolutewrite chat channel, Starchat.

And I usually write dozens, even hundreds of words just about every Sunday night...

Deleted member 42

Not enough to make my quota. On the phone, or poking pieces of hardware the whole damn time.

Now behind my 3K word a day quota.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I finally came out of a very long slump and wrote a whole chapter (six pages that don't suck too much) of something new.

Now that I am reassured by the presence of AW on the internetz, I shall get back to writing. :)

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I did my quota of words each day, about 1000, but my mind felt a lot freer, if that makes sense. I did spend a fair amount of time clicking the refresh button on my browser, though. To no avail.

I wish I could ween myself off AW, though I usually don't allow myself to visit until I've at least hit my word count. I've tried changing my password to something unintelligible and leaving it in the drawer at work so I can't post unless I'm at work. That worked for a while. I'm also an obsessive Duotrope checker. Why? It's stupid, since it's not going to make my rejections come any faster. :)

Nicole

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I'm afraid to say I did not write. :eek: But I did get so fed up that I went to Amazon and bought a book I've been wanting to get, but the steep price of which has made me cringe until now. And, well, the book is related to the subject I write about, so, it's all good! Right? Right??

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
Show off. ;) congratulations. thats awesome

i got no writing done but i did meet some really nice new people in the chat room. but the great outage did make me re-examine my writing and i sent off a story. but no actual words were created on paper.

Me too! Crazy Nev. :p

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
i actually did some work. oh what a travesty! that anything in this world could make me do something so foolish as writing!

well, never again! i refuse to give in to my muse :D......she's getting harder to ignore though, she keeps kicking me in the...yeah, you know what i mean

Status
Not open for further replies.