PDA

View Full Version : I need a young person to critique me

ladyvincenza
01-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi all,
I'm revising the first few chapters of my YA novel and am looking for a kid of YA reading age to critique me (I had one, but she flaked out on me). So if you are one, or know someone who would like to earn some money for reading, please let me know. It's about 30 pages, so it shouldn't take long. Fee negotiable, but I'm thinking $10.
I'm trying to make the chapters more page-turning, conflict-filled, etc., which is pretty hard. Maybe not for you guys, but it is for me. :)
Oh, and the book is literary, not genre, and is a comedy.
Thanks,
Sarah

Chasing the Horizon
01-20-2009, 06:17 AM
If it's just a couple chapters you want critiqued, I could take a look at it. I'm not quite in the target age-range for YA (I'm 21), but my memories of being a teenager are very recent and clear. I've never read a literary YA comedy before. Sounds interesting.

Anyway, you can PM me if you're interested. Oh, and I'm not gonna charge you money for a critique either :)

Barb D
01-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Sarah,
If you want a real kid and not a writer, my 15yo daughter is sitting next to me and willing. You can send it now if you want. I'll PM you her e-mail address. She says she'll do it for free. :)

abctriplets
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi all,
I'm revising the first few chapters of my YA novel and am looking for a kid of YA reading age to critique me (I had one, but she flaked out on me). So if you are one, or know someone who would like to earn some money for reading, please let me know. It's about 30 pages, so it shouldn't take long. Fee negotiable, but I'm thinking $10.
I'm trying to make the chapters more page-turning, conflict-filled, etc., which is pretty hard. Maybe not for you guys, but it is for me. :)
Oh, and the book is literary, not genre, and is a comedy.
Thanks,
Sarah

I'm about to send my book off to a young person, but I'm now wondering how useful it will be. Often when I pass it to adults, I get a "it's good" critique - not the indepth critical analysis I had hoped for. Will kids be able to provide advice on how to make it "more page-turning, conflict-filled, etc."?

Do most people send their YA/MG books to kids? Do they get back more than an affirmation that it is readable?

ladyvincenza
01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Sarah,
If you want a real kid and not a writer, my 15yo daughter is sitting next to me and willing. You can send it now if you want. I'll PM you her e-mail address. She says she'll do it for free. :)
Hello,
I feel guilty about not paying her. Is she sure?
Thanks,
Sarah

ladyvincenza
01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
If it's just a couple chapters you want critiqued, I could take a look at it. I'm not quite in the target age-range for YA (I'm 21), but my memories of being a teenager are very recent and clear. I've never read a literary YA comedy before. Sounds interesting.

Anyway, you can PM me if you're interested. Oh, and I'm not gonna charge you money for a critique either :)

Wow, I'm amazed that two young people are offering to give me their help! I feel a little guilty not paying folks, unless of course you want me to critique something of yours. In any case, thanks so much. I'll send it along.

KosseMix
01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Often when I pass it to adults, I get a "it's good" critique - not the indepth critical analysis I had hoped for. Will kids be able to provide advice on how to make it "more page-turning, conflict-filled, etc."?

Have you tried sending it to adult writers, like the people on this forum? Sometimes, if you send it to readers (regardless of age), you do get that "it's good" response and little more. Or, you could try posting a few chapters in SYW. The critiques here are amazing; everyone's so helpful and their advice is great.

Barb D
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
My daughter is reading it now, and I'd be happy to read it too if you want me to. I've never done a beta before, but I know what I like. :)

maimai
01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
If you want a third person to critique it, I'll be that person. :) I'm a young teen and I'd love to read it, for free, though. I may be weird, but I call this sort of thing 'fun.'

ladyvincenza
01-21-2009, 07:22 PM
My daughter is reading it now, and I'd be happy to read it too if you want me to. I've never done a beta before, but I know what I like. :)
Yeah, I've had some adults read it. I just think it's more helpful to get the opinion of the target audience.
Not to be an ignoramus, but what's a beta reader?
I'd be thrilled if you read it and gave me your two cents.
Thanks!

ladyvincenza
01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
If you want a third person to critique it, I'll be that person. :) I'm a young teen and I'd love to read it, for free, though. I may be weird, but I call this sort of thing 'fun.'

That'd be great! Can I email it to you? I can't figure out how to send attachments on the PM on Abs Write, so could you PM me your email address?
Thanks! Sarah

Stunted
01-22-2009, 12:37 AM
It sounds like you have all the help you need, but I'd be happy to look at it for you if you want. I'm 17.

Hummingbird
01-22-2009, 04:43 AM
A beta reader is someone who reads the work before it is finished. That person can then suggest changes or just tell you how much they adored it. ;)

I saw the name of this thread and I was all like: I'm young. :3
Eh, I'm 22 now, so perhaps a little too old for what you are asking for, Sarah.

The Kidd
01-22-2009, 07:20 AM
I can also look it over if you want. I'm twenty and also working on a YA WIP. You can either send me a message or an e-mail if you are interested. I don't need to be paid :) You can contact me via e-mail at the_walktown_kidd@yahoo.com or with the forum message system.

Horserider
01-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I'd love to do it. I'm 15 and I'd happily do it for free. If you still need someone that is. :)

Cale
01-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Im 16, and i would happily read/review your book for free!

abctriplets
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
And don't forget to check out the beta readers section if you want to read more books for free :)