Filter Keys?

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
I was sending a message through the reps and everything suddenly quit. I could click, but not type. A little emblem showed up on the lower right side of the screen for filter keys. I couldn't figure how to get it to shut off, got offline and finally just shut down and restarted. That worked. Is it something that's still having a problem in your system here, or did I accidentally push something on my end that turned this feature on? What exactly are filter keys?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Filter Keys is a Windows XP and Vista feature to help those who might fumble the keyboard because of a disability. (It ignores repeated or brief keystrokes). To turn it off, go to the Control Panel, find Accessibility Options (you may have to turn on Classic View). Then go to the keyboard tab and make sure filter keys is unchecked.

Apperently you weren't typing hard or long enough. =) That'll teach you.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Clair. Hmm... I do sometimes stop to think while typing, but it happened when I tried to back up to change something. And the problem was that I couldn't use the keyboard afterward at all. Nada. It still seems strange, but rebooting turned it off again. I'll write down what to do if it ever happens again. Thanks again.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Do mean backup as in for the operating system (etc) or just files? If it's the OS, that may have caused a glitch. For example, if you rolled back to a previous restore point, but have since changed where the USB keyboard/ mice/ etc were plugged in, it may have developed a conflict in hardware. Rebooting forced the computer to reevelaute it's configuration.

I'd guess a conflict between two devices trying to use the same door at the same time. Keep an eye on it, see if it happens again (or anything else strange.) A problem once is, in my opinion, a glitch. A problem repeated is an issue.

Oh, and don't forget to scan for malware, spyware, viruses. Odd behavior may be the sign of an uninvited guest.