Use of first names in 1890 England

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
The setting is an oceanside resort area in 1890 England. Two men have just been formally introduced to each other (by a third person who excuses himself soon thereafter). Both men are of roughly the same rank (upper middle class but not 'high society') and are in different businesses. They're both in their forties.

Assuming they liked each other and were socializing over a drink, would it be unrealistic of them to use first names with each other almost immediately? Or was it considered more appropriate for them to use 'Mr. <surname>' until they had known each other for awhile (days, weeks, whatever)?

(I'd like them to use first names almost immediately but can get around that if necessary.)

Thanks. (Rep points will be given :))

GirlWithPoisonPen

Mata Hari
Registered
Reaction score
Since they are drinking, it's more than likely that they'd start using first names. You could do something like:

"Mr. Smith, shall we have another?"

"Yes, but I insist that the men I drink with call me by my given name."

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My suspicion is that it would be weeks/months (if ever) before they used first names unless one of them says "Call me Binky, everyone else does."
Think of Holmes and Watson

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
They would almost certainly address each other by their surnames, but probably minus the Mr. In public schools (which means private, fee-paying schools in UK) even kids were known by their surnames more recently than late 1800s.

Oh, and BTW, it would be called a seaside resort in UK, not an oceanside resort.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I should have made it clear that one of them suggests using first names (i.e. they don't just start doing it).

I'm just wondering if I can get away with one of them making that suggestion almost immediately or was that simply 'not done'.

(I'm hoping that the relatively casual setting ('seaside' resort) will allow me to get away with it.)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'm just wondering if I can get away with one of them making that suggestion almost immediately or was that simply 'not done'.

Unlikely tbh, in that class. It would be considered very forward. ( In fact even until quite recently it was considered very bad form to do so unless you knew someone quite well). I suppose it might happen. But I would find it jarring

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Personally, I think Holmes and Watson are not the best example. There is a degree of familiarity there. In fact I would say that the use of JUST the surname might be a step BEYOND the given name. Almost like a nickname.

But then I'm from working class England. :D

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think Holmes and Watson are not the best example. There is a degree of familiarity there. In fact I would say that the use of JUST the surname might be a step BEYOND the given name.

That's not correct for the 1890s in England, in the social stratum that Holmes and Watson inhabited.

Using first names between even longtime friends wasn't the norm for middle-class and upper-middle-class men in 1890s England. Unless you knew someone from childhood, you'd call him by his last name.

Barbara, if your character wants to call a new friend by his first name, he'd better have a good reason for it--either he's a social reformer, or he's just come from another country where that's the norm.

On edit: here's a Google books source on this.

Last edited: