PDA

View Full Version : James Jones First Novel Fellowship

alias octavia
01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Information about the contest here (http://www.wilkes.edu/pages/1159.asp). Entry fee is high, $25, but this looks like a good opportunity.

Does anyone have any experience with this contest? They are asking for a 2 page outline which leaves me puzzled. I know an outline and a synopsis are different beasts, but two pages feels more like a synopsis to me. Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thanks.

CaoPaux
01-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone?

As far as ultimate worthiness, I'd apply the "where are they now" criteria to past winners, as well as consider whether the agents/pubs you'd be submitting your book to in the future would be familiar with this contest and/or deem a win to be a credit.

alias octavia
01-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks for bumping my thread. I googled the previous winners and many are now agented and some are published. So, my assessment: it's worth the $25 for me (I write literary fiction). I went ahead and mailed my entry this weekend. The deadline is March 1, 2009 if anyone else is interested.

JulieHowe
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
I sent in mine today. These authors were winners or runners-up of the James Jones contest and later had their novels published.

The Frequency of Souls - Mary Kay Zuraleff

Born Confused - Tanuja Desai Hidier

One thing I found a bit odd - neither author mentioned the James Jones First Novel Fellowship in their acknowledgment pages.

I read both books. Born Confused was exquisite, a young adult novel about the American-born daughter of two Indian immigrants. I couldn't get past the first chapter of The Frequency of Souls, but it was well-reviewed by critics. The main library in my city also has an extra copy of the book put away into their non-circulating archives, and that's unusual for a work of fiction.

The choice of authors as contest winners was also interesting. Hidier was barely out of her teens, and her book was written for teenagers. Zuraleff was a little bit older, with an established career and grown kids when she wrote Frequency of Souls, which was about a middle-aged engineer and the quirky relationship he has with a co-worker. This leaves me with the impression that the contest judges have an open mind when it comes to their decisions.

Zuraleff has gone on to write several more novels, but the last information I could find on Hidier is that she's still working on her second book. Although she's a leader of a band, a filmmaker, and she's also turning Born Confused into a screenplay. So both are highly accomplished individuals, beyond their writing careers.

JulieHowe
03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Message deleted. My lost package was found by the post office. Hopefully it will still be considered 'on-time' by the contest admins.

JulieHowe
03-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Did anyone else enter this contest, either this year or in prior years?

JulieHowe
03-25-2009, 01:51 AM
I just received my confirmation postcard letting me know that my submission was received. Fingers crossed on this one. Did anyone else enter the contest?

JulieHowe
04-12-2009, 04:17 AM
If anyone enters this contest in the future, you might want to send a postal money order instead of a check - mine still hasn't been cashed, although I did receive a postcard confirmation that my entry was received.

stevewed
04-13-2009, 05:04 PM
I entered. So that's two of us here.

alias octavia
04-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I also entered, and they cashed my check a few weeks ago. From what I understand, if you are invited to submit the next 50 pages the notification is in June sometime. Fingers crossed.

JulieHowe
04-20-2009, 01:37 AM
They just cashed my check. Fingers crossed here too. :) In June, I'll be stalking the mailman.

stevewed
06-10-2009, 09:18 PM
They just cashed my check. Fingers crossed here too. :) In June, I'll be stalking the mailman.

Have you begun the stalking?

Anonymissy
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I was a finalist for this award last year -- I got an e-mail from them on June 10th.

Good luck to everyone who entered!

JulieHowe
06-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Yeah! I just tackled my mailman, demanding that he turn over my letter or else.

Seriously, though. I'm really disappointed because I know this is a top-level writing contest, and now, I'm figuring that maybe my work really does suck after all, and it's time to go stand in line for some government cheese while I look through the want-ads for a new profession, one that doesn't involve writing.

I'm too fat for pole-dancing and too old for prostitution, and I don't know how to do anything else except sell books (I work in a bookstore) and write them. Now that James Jones has kicked me to the curb with my bottle of Thunderbird in a paper sack, I guess it's time to pack up the typewriter and haul it off to the Salvation Army.

I like this contest, and I was really looking forward to taking part, even if I didn't make it to the final round of winners. I offer my genuine congratulations to any AWWC member who made it to the first round. You have every reason to be proud of your work, even if you don't end up being the grand-prize winner.

JulieHowe
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I was a finalist for this award last year -- I got an e-mail from them on June 10th.

Good luck to everyone who entered!

Another AWWC member contacted me earlier in the year, letting me know that she had also received her notification on June 10th, and offered to answer any questions I might have about the contest.

The generosity and willingness to help other people is one of the best things about the members of the AWWC writing community, and this is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Anonymissy.

alias octavia
06-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Julie -

I agree. That is why I love the cooler.

I think each year is different for this contest, so don't lose heart if you don't hear something today. For the 2007 contest the semi-finalists were not notified until August sometime. Yikes!

JulieHowe
06-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Julie -

I agree. That is why I love the cooler.

I think each year is different for this contest, so don't lose heart if you don't hear something today. For the 2007 contest the semi-finalists were not notified until August sometime. Yikes!

Thanks for the info. :) Good luck to everyone.

Anonymissy
06-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Hi Julie! That was me, in fact. And I think Octavia is on to something -- there really isn't a hard deadline for notifying people, so it's quite possible they haven't done that yet.

All the best to you!

harmonyleo
06-12-2009, 11:12 PM
I also entered the James Jones First Novel contest and am anxiously awaiting word about the final round. Does anyone know if they contact you via mail or e-mail?

I was thinking of waiting until the end of the month and then calling them to find out if the semi-finalists had been chosen yet. I hate to be "that person" but my sanity is in jeopardy. Besides, I could just say I'm asking for the sake of the cooler ;).

Good luck to everyone!!

JulieHowe
06-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I also entered the James Jones First Novel contest and am anxiously awaiting word about the final round. Does anyone know if they contact you via mail or e-mail?

I was thinking of waiting until the end of the month and then calling them to find out if the semi-finalists had been chosen yet. I hate to be "that person" but my sanity is in jeopardy. Besides, I could just say I'm asking for the sake of the cooler ;).

Good luck to everyone!!

One person here mentioned being contacted by email. After I read that, I started religiously (obsessively?) checking my e-mail spam and trash filters, just in case.

Good luck to you too. :)

Anonymissy
06-13-2009, 07:46 AM

Good luck to everyone!!

Crossing fingers, etc. for you guys!

JulieHowe
06-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Nothing yet. The mailman is probably wondering why I'm stalking him and chasing down the street after the mail truck like some lovesick dog in heat.

Totally off topic:

Does anyone here do Twitter? I am by now completely fascinated and even obsessed with the potential of this new technology. I'm being Twittered by Iranian dissidents, reporters and others watching Iran disintegrate in front of their eyes. It's really interesting.

EgyptianGoddess
06-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Nothing yet. The mailman is probably wondering why I'm stalking him and chasing down the street after the mail truck like some lovesick dog in heat.

hahahahaha....I loved the visual I got from this....lol:D

harmonyleo
06-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Nothing from my end either. I am still hopeful something will be announced this week.

stevewed
06-18-2009, 07:06 PM
The book I submitted to the contest bears very little resemblance to what I have now. I suppose that's a concern with such a long lead time.

alias octavia
06-18-2009, 07:53 PM
The book I submitted to the contest bears very little resemblance to what I have now. I suppose that's a concern with such a long lead time.

I know what you mean. I saved a copy of the version I sent, but it is so many revisions ago.

Still no word for me yet, either.

I wish I just knew if they had contacted people yet, that way I can stop thinking about it ;)

stevewed
06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
I wish I just knew if they had contacted people yet, that way I can stop thinking about it ;)

Yeah. I have plenty to think about. I'm sure you do, too.

JulieHowe
06-19-2009, 08:15 AM

Same here. I've left those first 50 pages untouched in a separate Word document, since we aren't supposed to make any changes. Pages 51-100 are far edgier and have a different tone, since I've had all this time to reflect and obsess on perfecting the details.

I'm certain that the mailman thinks I'm completely insane, or that I want to f--k him, the way I'm staring at him every time he reaches a hand into that blue mailbag. So far, he hasn't pulled out what I'm looking for.

EgyptianGoddess
06-19-2009, 08:34 AM
........ So far, he hasn't pulled out what I'm looking for.

I almost spit on my monitor reading this. Shame on me <hanging head, scuffing feet in dirt>....I have such a nassy mind.

JulieHowe
06-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I almost spit on my monitor reading this. Shame on me <hanging head, scuffing feet in dirt>....I have such a nassy mind.

Me too LOL.

JulieHowe
06-25-2009, 02:39 AM
I know what you mean. I saved a copy of the version I sent, but it is so many revisions ago.

Still no word for me yet, either.

Any updates? :)

I just heard a song for the first time - John Prine's 'Crazy as a Loon.' I liked the words so much I ended up downloading the whole album from Itunes. "That town will make you crazy/ Just give it a little time/ You'll be walking 'round in circles/ Down at Hollywood and Vine/ You'll be waitin' on a phone call/At the wrong end of a broom/ Yes, that town'll make you crazy/ Crazy as a loon"

alias octavia
06-25-2009, 04:25 AM
Nothing here. I keep doing a google search of james jones first novel 2009 thinking that if the next round people were contacted that someone would blog about it.

So tempting to call or email and see what the timeline looks like....

ETA: yeah, that is a great song.

harmonyleo
06-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Sounds like we are all doing the same monitoring for updates. My guess is that selection hasn't been announced yet because, as you mentioned, someone would have blogged about it.

I am going to call/email them on July 1st if we still haven't heard anything. The only good thing about the silence is that it keeps hope alive. Fingers crossed!!

stevewed
06-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm sure someone will post here, since the winner will certainly be from the Absolute Write community.

James D. Macdonald
06-26-2009, 12:01 AM
I hope everyone is working on their next books.

alias octavia
06-26-2009, 02:59 AM
yes, stevewed, I believe you are on to something! The talent in AW is pretty amazing.

Of course we have all started our next book, we have to finish something else to submit to next years' contest ;)

JulieHowe
06-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Sounds like we are all doing the same monitoring for updates. My guess is that selection hasn't been announced yet because, as you mentioned, someone would have blogged about it.

I am going to call/email them on July 1st if we still haven't heard anything. The only good thing about the silence is that it keeps hope alive. Fingers crossed!!

Fingers crossed. Knocking on wood. (Ouch.) The postmaster general served me with a restraining order this morning, telling me to stay at least 100 feet away from all mail trucks and the men who drive them. I tried to explain about the whole James Jones contest experience, and how the waiting makes otherwise sane people lose their minds.

I promised (through my attorney) to stop chasing after mail trucks, accosting mailmen and demanding to see their blue canvas mail sacks. What I heard was that the mailman wasn't complaining - it was my nosy and prudish neighbors.

EgyptianGoddess
06-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Fingers crossed. Knocking on wood. (Ouch.) The postmaster general served me with a restraining order this morning, telling me to stay at least 100 feet away from all mail trucks and the men who drive them. I tried to explain about the whole James Jones contest experience, and how the waiting makes otherwise sane people lose their minds.

I promised (through my attorney) to stop chasing after mail trucks, accosting mailmen and demanding to see their blue canvas mail sacks. What I heard was that the mailman wasn't complaining - it was my nosy and prudish neighbors.

hahahahaha.....get even with the neighbors. Kill them off in your next book:D

stevewed
06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
I hope everyone is working on their next books.

You're allowed to work on more than one at a time? Schweeet

harmonyleo
07-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Well, I sent off an e-mail yesterday to the folks at the contest. No word back. Hopefully I won't be black listed for being a pest!

alias octavia
07-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh, harmonyleo you are my hero! Thanks for checking with the contest folks. I am so curious to know what the status is on responses. I wonder if they have gotten a deluge of entries this year... in the same way that agents are getting tons of queries.

JulieHowe
07-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Well, I sent off an e-mail yesterday to the folks at the contest. No word back. Hopefully I won't be black listed for being a pest!
Thank you. As they always say, no news is good news, right?

harmonyleo
07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
UPDATE: Here is the e-mail I received back from the fellowship contest. At least we have another month or so to relax before we start haunting our inboxes again:

We are still in the process of selecting those who will move on to the next round. The final selection for that round will not be decided until August.

alias octavia
07-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info harmonyleo, it is good to have this timeline so I don't go crazy with the wondering. August feel so far away.... I hope I can stand the suspense ;)

JulieHowe
07-07-2009, 02:49 AM
UPDATE: Here is the e-mail I received back from the fellowship contest. At least we have another month or so to relax before we start haunting our inboxes again:

We are still in the process of selecting those who will move on to the next round. The final selection for that round will not be decided until August.

Thank you! :) My exhausted mailman also thanks you.

alias octavia
07-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Just saw a blog post dated yesterday from someone who has made it into the final round. He writes that there were 700 entries.

I wonder if all the notifications have gone out yet? *insert melodramatic sigh here*

JulieHowe
07-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the update!

Updated to add:

I've finally let it go and given up the ghost of James Jones. Hopefully one of you will be the ones to get the good news. My fingers are crossed and I'm hopeful that one or more AW regulars will make it to the second round. :)

harmonyleo
07-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Just saw a blog post dated yesterday from someone who has made it into the final round. He writes that there were 700 entries.

I wonder if all the notifications have gone out yet? *insert melodramatic sigh here*

I think I saw the same blog (the title had the name "Falcons" in it, right?) This is what I'm confused about...it looks like this authors has two other books published. Isn't that against the rules of the fellowship?

I haven't heard about anyone else selected, have you?

alias octavia
07-26-2009, 01:43 AM
I think I saw the same blog (the title had the name "Falcons" in it, right?) This is what I'm confused about...it looks like this authors has two other books published. Isn't that against the rules of the fellowship?

I haven't heard about anyone else selected, have you?

Yeah, that is the one.

alias octavia
07-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Well, I looked at the book on amazon more closely. It is only 90 pages. Maybe that qualifies as a novella and doesn't break the rules? I don't know. I can't find any info about the other book listed on the blog.

I would assume that the society vets the winners before they award the fellowship just to make sure there aren't any people who violated the rules.

JustinSirois
08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Hello AW!
I just wanted to clarify a bit. My previous published work is a collection of poetry and a 55 page chap book of short stories. They are, by no means, a novel. I'm happy to give anyone complementary copies of either book if you email me from my blog.
Glad to see such a healthy and active online community of talented people writers here.

Justin Sirois
secondary sound dot blogspot dot com

JulieHowe
08-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Good luck with the contest!

stevewed
09-22-2009, 05:35 PM
from email ->

James Jones First Novel Fellowship 2009
Congratulations!

This year, the James Jones Fellowship had a total of 674 submissions.
Below are the top seven novels as decided by the judges.

Winner:

1st - Tena Loveland Russ, Riverwoods, IL is the winner of the James Jones First Novel Fellowship with her manuscript titled After Paradise.

Runners-Up:

2nd – Michael Schiavone, Gloucester, MA, is a runner-up winner with his manuscript titled Call Me When You Land.
3rd – Christine Wade, New York, NY, is a runner-up winner with her manuscript titled Seven Locks.

Finalists:

D.S. Sulaitis, West Kill, NY, for the manuscript, A Distraction
Ashley T. Memory, Pittsboro, NC, for the manuscript, Naked and Hungry
Greg Pierce, New York, NY, for the manuscript, The Ice Pick Job
Eva Lou, New York, NY, for the manuscript, Orphaned Island

Thank you to everyone who participated.
Bonnie Culver, Diane Reed, Nina Solomon, 2009 Judges

JulieHowe
09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Thank you for the update.

cyberianexile
08-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Anyone here enter this year?

I just received an update:

"Thank you for your patience as our judges continue to read the manuscripts that have made it to the final round.
The winner and runner-ups will be announced in mid-September.

Happy writing."

(I'm assuming this is a rejection, if in a roundabout sort of way...?)

jnelson
08-14-2010, 04:57 AM
Hi, i got that too. I would have appreciated something more specific. But i do see it as negative, for me. How much patience do they think we expend when it no longer concerns our own work. . . to be blunt.

cyberianexile
08-16-2010, 03:03 AM
I emailed them on the 12th for clarification, asking "if I received this email, should I assume I did not advance?" They didn't reply, and I would take their deafening silence as a rather definitive "yes." ;-P

Ah, well. Better luck next year!

wei jun
06-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Has anyone heard anything? Any fortunate finalists in this 2011 cadre?

Best of luck to everyone.

WJ

Truth and Fiction
06-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Has anyone heard anything? Any fortunate finalists in this 2011 cadre?

Best of luck to everyone.

WJ

I haven't heard any updates from anyone so far for this year. Last year, I was named a runner-up and I received notification I made it to the second round on 5/21/10 (just looked it up). So maybe the finalists have already been contacted, but you never know.

JanetO
06-09-2011, 08:33 PM
I did receive a request from them last week to submit the next 50 pages of my novel, but it wasn't quite clear whether this was for the final round. The request simply said "next" round.

Truth and Fiction
06-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Congrats, JanetO! I'm not 100% positive, but you might be in the final round. When I was named a runner-up last year, I got the notice in May to submit the next 50 pages and then heard nothing until they made the final decision. There was no notification of being advanced to yet another round, etc. That might just mean they didn't notify the people who didn't make it further; I'm not sure.

Either way, best of luck!

LillyPu
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
The 21th (haha) Annual James Jones First Novel Fellowship

will be awarded to an American author of a first novel-in-progress, in 2012, by the James Jones Literary Society. Novellas and collections of closely linked short stories may also be considered for the competition.

The award is intended to honor the spirit of unblinking honesty, determination, and insight into modern culture exemplified by the late James Jones, author of From Here to Eternity and other prose narratives of distinction. Jones himself was the recipient of aid from many supporters as a young writer and his family, friends, and admirers have established this award of $10,000 to continue the tradition in his name. Two runner up awards of $750 each will also be given by the Jones Literary Society.The deadline is March 1th (haha--that one's on me)

I see that some of you became runners up in years past. Congrats!

Thanks for any insight into this award. :)

carefulwithwords
02-28-2012, 01:10 AM
this looks interesting. But I already am entered in Amazon's 2012 contest and the 2012 Pen/Bellwether. Maybe I shouldn't enter anything else?