Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
In 2008, I wrote 2 complete novels. I started another 2. Of the 4, I've trashed them all. 2 I'll try to completely rewrite, while I'm trying to figure out if the 3rd is even worth saving. I've completed many novels through my life, but I eventualy decide they're not worth it and trash them.

So now I'm in a crisis. I'm currently about halfway through another novel, and I don't know if I should keep on writing it, since chances are it's going to get trashed again. Sure, it seems like a great idea now, but so did the others.

Is this normal? Trashing so many proyects? Or is it just that they're all the warm-up proyects I need as I learn the art of writing?

Or maybe it's that I've no idea how to edit, so trashing proyects seems much easier than setting them right. Ugh!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I think I have some seven or eight novel-length peices of fiction that I've abandoned in favor of writing something that doesn't suck.

Now, I wrote most of those in high school (what? i was bored.) and I've come quite a ways from that level of writing. I thought they were good at the time. But I know that they're really not worth salvaging now.

Depending on the level of work a story needs, it may not be a bad idea to force yourself to take one of the better novels and rework it until it is worth keeping. You'll learn that delightful art of revision and you'll have at least one novel that isn't trashed.

What is it that makes you think the novels need to be trashed? The story? The characters? Or just the writing style? Work on that. Either rework the novel to fix the problems that make you inclined to trash it or (and?) work on fixing that problem in the next novel you write.

As long as you are working to get better, I'm not sure it matters how many novels you write that aren't worth seeing the light of day. With the exception of you abandoning a project because it's not as fun anymore... finishing what you start is a good skill to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.