A world without AW

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As the tragedy this weekend dragged on, I got to thinking about how terrible it would be if the Powers that Be got fed up and closed down AW. And then I got to thinking how fun it would be to buy up AW and run the joint, but that's a story for another day...

There is however, that little icon near the top of each page, with those lines under it.

If this board is helpful to you, please consider making a contribution towards the cost of the forums. Just use the paypal button, or else click here. Thank you!

Just saying.

Now, time to play.

If I owned AW
:

I'd start a SYW that was by application only. Not saying it would run any better than the current one, but it would attract a different crowd, and that would be nice.

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Ooooooookay.

napoleanWTF.gif

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don, you cut your hair. And shaved. I like the old look better.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No harm in trying :)

Deleted member 42

You know, in all seriousness, MacCannister very much wants to know what you want.

Go ahead and ask.

That said, as soon as I can calm down enough to sleep, I'll be upgrading (not) Written in Stone, the sister forum Mac and I built as a test lab, a place to talk about books, and so if there were a real disaster, we could quickly move AW and have the licenses and software in place.

The new version of vBulletin is sorta nifty, so I'll announce when I've upgraded it, and y'all can go look to see what you like and what you hate.

N.B. I'm opposed to the Rep point chicklets, but they're on at (not) Written in Stone.

Mac will listen to what y'all think.

http://www.macallisterstone.com/forums/

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds awesomesauce. Except for the part about not liking Reps. I'm on another forum without reps, and it doesn't run near as nice as this one. Same vBulletin format...

Cheers Lisa :)

Deleted member 42

That sounds awesomesauce. Except for the part about not liking Reps. I'm on another forum without reps, and it doesn't run near as nice as this one. Same vBulletin format...

Cheers Lisa :)

No, no, the Rep comments are not the chicklets, little green squares based on the total number of Reps.

I hate 'em. It's a popularity contest/ranking thing. They are not on here. Well, they're there, just hidden.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the run out of appropriate comments business?

I think it's cute, but it does help that it's hidden. Makes it more silly. :) But yeah, the popularity contest aspect isn't kewl.

Reaction score
No, no, the Rep comments are not the chicklets, little green squares based on the total number of Reps.

I hate 'em. It's a popularity contest/ranking thing. They are not on here. Well, they're there, just hidden.

I thought they were based on the total number of posts?

Shows how much I know about how forum software works.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Considering horses cost about 500 a month to keep (give or take wildly depending on many factors), you could easily keep a ton of smaller animals. Just build a little place for all these critters and run your own rescue till you were overrun with em :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/ said:
Welcome Back!

We Missed You, Too!
Awwww....... <sniff>
Not really. There are so many folks here at the highest rep level that all the chicklets would do is signal out those folks who don't post much or are new to the forums. And we can figure that out by post count and join date...
I was once new.

I wanted to check my "invisible Chicklets" to see every time the little comment thing changed from a "distinguished road" to "out of appropriate comments," but I never did. My childhood on AW went by so fast...
Considering horses cost about 500 a month to keep (give or take wildly depending on many factors), you could easily keep a ton of smaller animals. Just build a little place for all these critters and run your own rescue till you were overrun with em :D
All I had to do was google cat lady, and I got this video...

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...just between us, I'm not terrifically pleased with vbulletin and wouldn't mind seeing AW switch to another server.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score

Not really. There are so many folks here at the highest rep level that all the chicklets would do is signal out those folks who don't post much or are new to the forums. And we can figure that out by post count and join date...

Hopefully, you know I was being playful. I think you do. The "Most Popular Girl" episode of the Brady Bunch is a classic.
Honestly, as far as how the reps and chicklets are handled, it makes me no difference at all.
I'm just glad to be here. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I know what I'd like to see changed. Conquering Challenges shouldn't be a sub forum. It's so neglected and I usually forget it's there... I know it's not always writing related, and that's why it's filed under OP, but still. Or maybe in the new forum version it can be seen on the main splash page but still be a sub-OP forum?????

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
...just between us, I'm not terrifically pleased with vbulletin and wouldn't mind seeing AW switch to another server.
A news server would be great, then I could just download the text, without all that HTML formatting, icons and LOLcats that make up 90+ percent of the bandwidth.

Seriously, the young whippersnappers don't see the appeal of newsgroups (and I'm talking REAL, direct newsgroup access with a standalone reader, not through a web interface such as Google Groups).