PDA

View Full Version : The AW Withdrawal symptoms...

imperio59
01-18-2009, 08:18 PM
So... Since AW is back now, I thought I'd start a thread on what withrdrawal symptoms you experienced while AW is down...

I personally had the urge to check on the website every 10 minutes...

Good news though is I finished my novel in the meantime :P

Fenika
01-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Every 10? Slacker. I was clicking every 3.4 minutes and wondering if trying to get through to the server was just making the problem worst ;)

DwayneA
01-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I've tried accessing the site every few hours. I saw on a website that the forum had been shut down for good, but it was two years old!

Anyway, it's good that the site is back online.

Sneaky Devil
01-18-2009, 08:22 PM
yesterday i was a bit obsessed and i checked it every minute or so, sad but true.

then this morning i found the refugee camp and i was so excited to finally talk to people from AW again! :Hug2:

imperio59
01-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Well I was writing as well, that's why it was only every ten minutes haha!
I was also on IRC waiting, that helped a bit.

Kitty Pryde
01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I just missed all you guys A TON! And I had to lurk in the chatroom to survive. I have also been horribly sick since the forums went down...go figure.

KikiteNeko
01-18-2009, 08:37 PM
I was beginning to think it was just me, and linking everyone on my buddy list with "IT'S NOT LOADING FOR YOU EITHER, RIGHT!?"

jennontheisland
01-18-2009, 08:39 PM
hi Kitty! The chat room was kinda fun. Got to meet people I wouldn't regularly on the board.

inkkognito
01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
OMG, it was a true trauma! I had to keep checking...keep checking...I nearly got up and danced this morning when I was finally able to get in.

tehuti88
01-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Just this morning I went and posted a glum blog entry wondering what had become of the only really decent writing forum I've found! Then I found the Big Boards (sic?) stats and saw that I apparently wasn't the only one not getting in (unfortunately I don't know anyone here and have nowhere else to see if the site is working :( ), then decided to buy a book I've been wanting at Amazon, then decided to try this place again before logging off...and it's back. Well! The timing!

2Wheels
01-18-2009, 08:53 PM
It was a kind of "oh no!" situation late Friday and yesterday.
Trolling around I did manage to find Jim MacDonald's post on http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/
It wasn't an easy find, but did give me some peace. All that was required after that, was patience.

Karen Duvall
01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I just missed all you guys A TON! And I had to lurk in the chatroom to survive. I have also been horribly sick since the forums went down...go figure.

Me, too! Thanks for the brainstorming help, by the way. You helped me break through the block in my scene. I'm off and running again!

smoothseas
01-18-2009, 09:18 PM
OMG, it was a true trauma! I had to keep checking...keep checking...I nearly got up and danced this morning when I was finally able to get in.

Didn't really realize I was that addicted...

thankyoubabyjesus, and all the rest of the techie peeps, who resolved the prob.

Susan Gable
01-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi, my name is Susan, and I'm an AW-aholic.

Luckily I can get me some AW now. I was missing the boards, bigtime!

Phew. AW is back. :)

Susan G.

Ciera_
01-18-2009, 09:28 PM
My symptoms....well, I was watching a lot of LOST episodes that I've already seen...checking AW, Nathan Bransford's blog, and my regular daily comic site, all of them every four minutes or so, to see if AW was back or the others had miraculous updates to entertain me.
I've also been, y'know....socializing with REAL people...my friends are currently here at my house...in person so, thank god AW is back and I can try to find a polite way to tell these meatspace people that I no longer require their company and they can please leave me to my forumming now. ^.^

Bluestone
01-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I can breathe easy now. Everything is back exactly as it was before. Including that, ahem mods?, holiday manger scene that has stayed up there looooong after the holidays. But I'm not complaining. I'm just glad I can type these words on AW's site again. :Hug2:

sunna
01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
It was so awful. My head still hurts, and I'm all out of vodka now. I wrote a despondent blog post, and a bunch of us stormed Facebook and Twitter, but it just wasn't the same.

Plus I....I....

*gulp*

I wrote a synopsis I don't even need. Just because!

*sob*

Cranky
01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
I checked a few dozen times, that's all. And only twice this morning before it came back up, so I'm feeling proud of myself.

But it's back and I'm off the wagon again. :D

Molfitz
01-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Ah....exhale.

Snowstorm
01-19-2009, 05:54 AM
I checked every couple hours, and managed okay. Although the twitching and drooling got a bit old.

Madisonwrites
01-19-2009, 05:59 AM
I :heart: AW!!! I tried to join the refugee camp, but it wasn't letting me register. :rant: I checked several times every time I was online to see if it was back up. I like this site more than Facebook! It's my fav web page EVER! :D

Chumplet
01-19-2009, 06:00 AM
I checked several times, and then drove my daughter to college in a snowstorm, because I was so bored.

KikiteNeko
01-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Well I got almost 4K of my WIP done, so I guess the AW downtime wasn't the WORST thing to happen to me.

*clings to the forum for dear life* neverleavemeagainbaby

angelgirl
01-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Wow! I never realized how much time I spend lurking around the boards until they weren't there. :( I was slightly panicked. I am so happy that everything is back up and running. :hooray: Welcome back, everyone!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-19-2009, 06:31 AM
It was a shocking experience! I discovered - you'll never believe this! - I live with this guy, three cats, and a dog! And the guy says we've been married for YEARS!

Clair Dickson
01-19-2009, 06:32 AM
I didn't know what to do with myself in those short periods of time when I was waiting-- like when Hubby was finishing dinner, etc. Not enough time to get into a task or project... I forget already what I did in those times before there was AW.

Good thing I was busy most of the weekend...

I am an AW addict. I get twitchy when I'm cut off from my internet, and some of those twitches showed up the longer I was deprived of AW.

Teena
01-19-2009, 06:38 AM
OK, tell me if this isn't pathetic...
1. tried & tried & tried but just got "Page Not Found" or whatever that was.
2. contacted my cousin & asked if it was "just me" and she said she couldn't get in either so it wasn't something I did
3. *shudders* and this is the scary part (get ready to hide your eyes)...I was so desperate that I sat here in front of my dead, black computer screen and did my household budget financial analysis for the last 2 years oN A LEDGER SHEET WITH A PENCIL!!
:e2thud: I couldn't even work on my WIP which desperately needs work.

But now, God's in His Heaven and all's well with the world.

eric11210
01-19-2009, 06:51 AM
I ended up looking elsewhere for my fix, which turned out to be a good thing because I found at least one additional board similar to AW that I really like so far. Plus I spent an awful lot of time working on my novel and a short story. But it def. felt good to find the refugee camp. At first, I had no idea what was going on and thought the problem was on my side. Glad it's back though.

Eric

vixey
01-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Started hanging out on Facebook, which was interesting because I connected with a college boyfriend and a high school flame...um...well....

I had a productive few days. :D

ETA: And I chatted with another AWer as much as I possibly could. :tongue

mscelina
01-19-2009, 06:59 AM
I must be boring. I just wrote.

Carmy
01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm boring, too. I caught up with a lot of critiquing.

When AW wasn't around, it was like losing a good friend. You never know how precious something is until you lose it.

So glad you're back.

Dichroic
01-19-2009, 07:12 AM
It was a kind of "oh no!" situation late Friday and yesterday.
Trolling around I did manage to find Jim MacDonald's post on http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/
It wasn't an easy find, but did give me some peace. All that was required after that, was patience.

Except when I went searching that one wasn't up yet and what I found was the "AW has been taken down" post from 2006. Gave me a nasty turn until I noticed the date.

Keyan
01-19-2009, 07:54 AM
I :heart: AW!!! I tried to join the refugee camp, but it wasn't letting me register. :rant: I checked several times every time I was online to see if it was back up. I like this site more than Facebook! It's my fav web page EVER! :D

me too me too me too.

I checked with Shweta after a bit, and she directed me to the refugee camp and I couldn't get in.

So I figured that people were working frantically to get AW back up... and I should just wait. Patiently. Well, not so patiently, but not actually *im*patiently. Except once in a while.

Scribhneoir
01-19-2009, 07:58 AM
It's bad enough that my company's internet filters block AW as a "job search" site (don't ask me why), so I can't pop in during weekdays, but to come home on Friday night looking forward to browsing AW for fun and inspiration and find it's disappeared . . . again . . . well, I'm just glad it was a server issue and not Babs up to her old tricks.

On a positive note, I've got the cleanest, most well organized refrigerator in California and I figured out a solution to the plot point that had me stumped.

Greenify13
01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I ended up writing 5,994 words (11 pages) for my WIP2, in a few measley hours.

CarolSanDiego
01-19-2009, 08:20 AM
I went outside. Turns out the sun was out, it was about 74 degrees, and apparently I live in a pretty nice place. But, I'm so glad AW is back on - all is well.

rhymegirl
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
What....*twitch*....with...*twitch*....draw....*tw itch*...al....symptoms?

MissKris
01-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Ahh, so nice to be back.

Don Allen
01-19-2009, 09:32 AM
I started jonesing on Sat morning, at one point trying to snort the monitor in hopes that some Aw cookies might be left in the portholes or something. Then I went thru the denial phase blaming my deceased mother for the lack of AW, she would have understood. By noon I hit the liquor cabinet, but i would have done that anyway, regardless of AW. By Sunday morning I started lamenting the fact that it was all my fault AW was gone because I promised myself to make a donation to the freaken thing and couldn't figure out how to get paypal to work so I chucked the idea, now I feel guilty about that too. This site sucks.....

Yeshanu
01-19-2009, 09:33 AM
It was a shocking experience! I discovered - you'll never believe this! - I live with this guy, three cats, and a dog! And the guy says we've been married for YEARS!

:roll:

I was fortunate, I think. I had to work yesterday, and I preached today, so I was kept pretty busy.

I did spend some time in the refugee camp, because I know from past experience that masses of people trying to get into the site when it's down make it more difficult for the techies to get it back up.

I'd encourage you all to bookmark the refugee camp (http://www.rogerjcarlson.com/forum/writerforum/default.asp). Even if you can't join (PM Roger to ask about that, though...) you can still view the thread that has the latest news about any long-term outages we may have.

MacAllister
01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Welcome back, everyone. We missed you too. :)

Calixus
01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Ok so I know I have not been on here for any real length of time, but I am sorry to say I am already thoroughly addicted. I checked like a million times every day, running around the living room in circles, pulling at my hair and screaming everytime my computer spit up a "page not found" message. My cats were so concerned they started doing their own searches and couldn't find it either. In desperation, I tried to find the 12 step program to detox and got "page not found". Then I tried to find AW annoymous and got "page not found". Tried to find a self-help site on AW and withdrawal and got "page not found". At this point I was getting desparate and tried Black market AW and got "page not found". ARrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhh............:Hammer: Hit any key....

She_wulf
01-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I feel like I missed out...um... by the time I found the emergency board (AW Refugee Camp) the board was back up and people were posting...

Sigh, late as usual. Story of my life.

Amy

merrihiatt
01-19-2009, 11:40 AM
It made me wonder what life would be like without AW. The horror! The absolute madness of it all. I can breathe easy now. All is right with the world.

Enzo
01-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I thought there was something wrong with my computer. Wouldn't have been the first time.
I'm on lots of forums about varying topics, but this is way out my favorite and the most useful.

circlexranch
01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
It was a horrible weekend!! I thought all sorts of awful things until I found Uncle Jim's post in Making Light and the Refugee Camp.

I was afraid it might have been us that started the fire, we are always torching our hair in the Publish America clubhouse.

However, the new place looks great, I like the colors you chose and the carpet was getting kinda yucky. The recessed lighting is very classy and the new coffee bar is just what we needed.

I tossed a small donation y'all's way this morning, a micro-token of my respect and affection for what it must have taken to get this mega-board back up and running. I promise to be more regular with my contributions. I've glimpsed a world without AW and I didn't like it!!

dclary
01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
I just wrote a poem about it.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128069

citrus if you need a pw.

dclary
01-19-2009, 10:48 PM
:roll:

I was fortunate, I think. I had to work yesterday, and I preached today, so I was kept pretty busy.

I did spend some time in the refugee camp, because I know from past experience that masses of people trying to get into the site when it's down make it more difficult for the techies to get it back up.

I'd encourage you all to bookmark the refugee camp (http://www.rogerjcarlson.com/forum/writerforum/default.asp). Even if you can't join (PM Roger to ask about that, though...) you can still view the thread that has the latest news about any long-term outages we may have.

We had a steady stream of displaced citizens in our tent-city we erected in the starnet AW chatroom over the weekend too. Nevada provided cookies.

nkkingston
01-20-2009, 12:04 AM
I spent most of the time trying to remember if when downforeveryoneorjustme (http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/) tells you the site doesn't exist it means it's down or it means you've mistyped the name.

rhymegirl
01-20-2009, 12:05 AM
We had a steady stream of displaced citizens in our tent-city we erected in the starnet AW chatroom over the weekend too. Nevada provided cookies.

Hmm. I didn't see you there when I was there, Dave.

dclary
01-20-2009, 12:07 AM
I've got a girlfriend now. I can't spend all day flirting with the hotties anymore. The sacrifices you make for love... :p

Yeshanu
01-20-2009, 02:33 AM
:cry:

tcham97
01-20-2009, 02:57 AM
It happened right after I became a member. I was replying to the welcome message and lost everything. Thought I blew up the site.

sassandgroove
01-20-2009, 03:03 AM
I've tried accessing the site every few hours. I saw on a website that the forum had been shut down for good, but it was two years old!

Anyway, it's good that the site is back online.Oh I remember that. It was horrible.

Also a few weeks ago ( idon'trememberwhen) some ad ware was preventing me from getting to AW. That was maddening because it was JUST ME!! I finally figured out how to fix it (updated spy bot, ran it AGAIN.) and all was well.

So I know how I am with out AW. Twitchy and sad and feel cut off from the world. THANK GOD I didn't know about this one. I was cloistered in my house with my hubby playing Left 4 Dead. (Zombie Video Game.) Becuase if I had even checked once, and found it not working, it would have bothered me all weekend.

Scribhneoir
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
It happened right after I became a member. I was replying to the welcome message and lost everything. Thought I blew up the site.

Oh dear, what a welcome. Glad you found your way back.:Hug2:

Luckily, by the time I fired up the computer Saturday morning, Birol's and Roger's emails had arrived with an update, which made it easier to refrain from trying to access the site too often.

Mr Flibble
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I've got a girlfriend now. I can't spend all day flirting with the hotties anymore. The sacrifices you make for love... :p

But...but...the babies! Won't someone think of the babies!

You have told her about the babies haven't you?

dclary
01-21-2009, 09:29 PM
But...but...the babies! Won't someone think of the babies!

You have told her about the babies haven't you?

We, uh, are probably going to have our own some day.

I'm sorry... I just can't support our demon progeny any more.... :(

Mr Flibble
01-22-2009, 02:20 AM
I had to trash a whole crate of beer-flavoured edible panties.

Wait, actually... I'm sure I can find someone who'll like them.

Ferret! FERRET! I need to keep my new year's resolution! Here, ferret, ferret!

sassandgroove
01-22-2009, 02:21 AM
withdrawl does strange things to people.

Mr Flibble
01-22-2009, 02:22 AM
That's not withdrawal

That's just me :D

sassandgroove
01-22-2009, 02:40 AM
:D When I was on vacation- more than a few times I felt the tick to check AW and to tell my pals what i was doing. If I could afford a blackberry or Iphone, you'd never get rid of me.

CharlotteAmbrose
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I sat and clicked away over and over - thinking it was something wrong with my comp. Sometimes I get blocked from sites I use all the time and have to check my spy bot and mcafee and then get through. I called my comp friendly ex husband and had him come over and check everything. Thank the heavens I found a message someone posted saying the server was down. I was nervous because I just donated money and then was booted off - thinking oh my god this site was a fake. Glad to be wrong.

Susan Lanigan
01-23-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm glad it's back :)

Feiss
01-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Ummm...wandering around the house, attempting and failing to connect with something other than a keyboard and blue and gray windows. Trying to strike up a conversation that is not scripted. Basically being miserable.

tcham97
01-23-2009, 06:26 PM
[quote=Scribhneoir;3187944]Oh dear, what a welcome. Glad you found your way back.:Hug2:

Thank you! Still fumbling around but starting to find my way.

DaddyCat
01-24-2009, 12:19 AM

Same kind of thing happened to me - three times. There was a (brief) outage a week after I joined, another the day after I posted my first custom avatar, then I was away for months and returned a week before this outage.

It's very flattering, but I just want The Powers That Be to know I don't consider it necessary...