Help! (need to move MS Works to new PC)

VisionScript

Registered
Reaction score
My novel is on Microsoft Works 9 and I need to move it to a new computer that is xp professional version and doesn't have Works. If I can transfer MS Works to my new computer, that would be great. Any suggestions? If so, please also email me at [email protected].

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Open your file in works. Click on File, Save As

Choose MS Word .doc format (2000 if it has it or higher).

If you can't find that choose .rtf (rich text format)

Save the file, move it to your new computer.

VisionScript

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Tirjasdyn. What software would you recommend for writing novels? I'm considering Microsoft Office professional 2007. I was previously using Microsoft Works 9. I love the pop up dictionary.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If you already have it loaded on your new PC, MS Office 2007 is the way to go. Although there are many who have opinions contrary, it is the most popular Office tool. and MS Word is the most popular word processing program. You will probably be overwhelmed by the features in Word. Just take the tutorials to get you started. Don't worry about the features you won't be using.

If you don't have MS Office, you can download OpenOffice for free. Many people here at AW swear by it. I don't use it myself, because I'm used to using MS Word.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Thanks, Tirjasdyn. What software would you recommend for writing novels? I'm considering Microsoft Office professional 2007. I was previously using Microsoft Works 9. I love the pop up dictionary.

I write in ywriter. It's a free novel organizer. I format for submission in word...currently 2007.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Save your MS in Rich Text Format (rtf) to hedge your bets.

A good free rtf editor and a free spellchecker will do as well as any huge, bloated word processor. You don't need MSOffice to write a novel any more than you need Photoshop to resize a picture.

she said futilely

VisionScript

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I'm using MS word 2007 right now (via a free 2 month trial) so I will check out each suggestion.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
XP comes with WordPad, which "works" fine for me, even in text mode. But I'm old-fashioned like that.