Do you buy erotica, and where?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would confess to still having slight issues buying the spicy stuff except online or in large anonymous chain book stores. Do you think this is one of the reasons erotica is one of the more active genres of ebooks? (along with romance, non-fiction and anthologies).

There are a few magazines I wouldn't mind buying but I still have a little trouble handing them over the counter at the local news agent. Last time I even bought Attitude (not erotica just gay content) he asked 'Is this for you?' I manage to just say 'yes' calmly but I do wonder what he was thinking...

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
that you're really a gay man disguised as an attractive woman, or that you're really buying it for your "bi curious" husband who is waiting outside in the car....

i read erotica when i stumble upon them in magazines (Playboy, etc.) I don't think I have bought any recently... maybe one anthology in the past 5 years? through Amazon.com, usually. no questions asked.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I suppose that the correct reply might have been 'none of your damn business', but I have trouble not being polite.

Senta

Registered
Reaction score
love buying them in 'proper' book stores - but used to be terribly scared for the first few years.

mostly scared of the people at the till.

and it wasn't always pleasant to browse because of the company...

and because I'm a woman.

but the more people buy them openly the easier it will become

EmmaMac

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
I suppose that the correct reply might have been 'none of your damn business', but I have trouble not being polite.

I second this - I hate it when I'm asked about my purchases, even if it's at the supermarket. Makes me want to come to the cashier with some vaseline and a cucumber just to see their reaction.

But in answer to the question, when I first started reading erotica, most of the Black Lace novels I'd buy were in the fiction section, so it wasn't like there was a separate section I'd be embarrassed to be browsing in. Then I realized that, even if there was a separate section (and now there is because of the genre's growing popularity), I shouldn't worry about it. Most people wouldn't bother to look at the section I was in, and if they do, I'll probably never see them again anyway.

I also buy erotica online, mostly because I don't have as much time to spend in bookstores anymore. I was recently contracted for some pretty dry copywriting work that takes me at least eight hours a day. Also, I like that I can browse online whenever I want and take as long as I want.