PDA

View Full Version : Emergancy treatment for a stabbing

necia phoenix
01-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Here's the setup: It is a fantasy novel, with very little magic in it. MC is stabbed in the kidney in a busy marketplace, the assailant takes off and two of MC's companions follow while the third friend administers some sort of emergency care until a healer(magic using doctor type) can be located.

I want this particular event to stay as true to RL as possible, sure there is magic in this universe but it is used as a last resort sort of thing. I know there is a short amount of time between an injury to the kidney and death, or so I have been told.

I ask you folks; what can the friend do to assist? After treatment how long does it take for someone to recover from such an injury? If this were to happen here in our world what sort of treatment could a person expect after an injury like this? What restrictions would be placed on a patient recovering from a stabbing?

thanks.

RJK
01-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm not a healer, but from what I remember from first aid, it's Breathing, beating and bleeding. If you're at the bleeding stage, the friend needs to do what he can to stop the blood loss. Surgery would be the next step, to repair the kidney.

Horseshoes
01-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Is the weapon impaled or did the assailant withdraw it?
The prob is blood loss--luck of the draw on whether or not the kidney laceration is severe enough to kill the vic, but chances are quite good that it is w/out treatment. However, your vic is getting first aid and then a magic healer, so yeah.

In the setting you describe, w/ weapon already withdrawn by the assailant, your other char will apply direct pressue to the wound, have the vic lie supine or slightly on one side, elevate the legs and keep the vic warm. The vic will not be given food, but may possibly given water.

W/ impaled weapon, the helper will support the weapon, essentially cribbing it w/ soft material---if entry is lateral, vic will lay on good side. If entry is rea, vic will lay on whichever side he tolerates best, but without being allowed to move and wiggle the impaled weapon.
Then again warm, raise legs to the extent possible, no food, possibly water. Supportive care: as in, if vic vomits, assist w/ minimizing movement and protecting the airway, esp as vic's level of consciousness diminishes.

Hummingbird
01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I agree with Horsheshoes.

Also, if the weapon gets pulled out there is also a higher chance for blood loss. With the weapon still in place it can act as a partial plug to keep the blood loss from being as bad. (In CSI and stuff they usually leave the weapon in in case it has hit a major artery or something and the weapon could be the only thing keeping the artery from bleeding out of control.)

I don't know much about kidneys. I might suggest WebMD.com. It is awesome for medical knowledge (in my opinion :3) and may have something there on lacerated kidneys.

necia phoenix
01-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

**jotts down notes**

anyone know how long it would be before MC is able to get up and move around?

Thanks again

MattW
01-20-2009, 01:27 AM
anyone know how long it would be before MC is able to get up and move around?Before or after magic healing?

If before, I'd say he moves only if he cannot be healed on the spot, or at least carried to receive further medical attention. You don't want to make anything worse through jostling or exertion.

If after, it's all about your story then. But I'd wager blood loss and the shock of a stabbing have longer effects than the physical wound. Mobile, but weak and possibly prone to fainting or disorientation.

necia phoenix
01-20-2009, 01:33 AM
The magic healing wouldn't be a full healing, more like a surgery to stop the bleeding.

A full healing would not be wasted on a foot soldier in my universe. :P

MattW
01-20-2009, 02:11 AM
The magic healing wouldn't be a full healing, more like a surgery to stop the bleeding.

A full healing would not be wasted on a foot soldier in my universe. :PI like that approach!

If the kidney is repaired in the "surgery" it could still take a couple of weeks to regain most mobility, depending on the tolerance for pain and the extent of the damage to core muscles.