Need writerly advice or a kick up the arse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Ever since I went back to work full-time my creative juices seem to have dried up. I used to be the gal with a list of great ideas just waiting to be turned into stories and with the energy to do it. Now I can't get a single story going.

I know what the problem is: my job involves research, observation, creativity and lots 'n' lots of time spent writing it all up. In short, all the things I'd use to bang out a story. When I get done with work, I don't have a single drop of creative energy left for fiction.

What can I do about this? Where can I get a late evening dose of creative energy? Or do I just need a good kick up the arse?

Advice and/or well-aimed kicks are welcome.

*goes back to staring at blank computer screen in despair*

Last edited:

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking music might help you. I've seen your posts around some of the music threads, and not only do you have nice taste in music, it seems to be a powerful instrument for you.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be patient. My bet is writing (the non-work kind) will resurface eventually. Without knowing your personality, forcing it could be just the ticket or the worst possible thing to do. Give it some time and if it doesn't come back, then challenge yourself to see how you react.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna echo The Fizz here, Lola. Give yourself time to adjust to being back to work, let things settle into a groove. Sooner or later, that urge will come back to you, and you won't have to worry about making time to write...it will force itself on you.

In the meantime, baby steps. Try writing poetry, drawing or sketching, or some other form of being creative than writing novels or shorts. I know it stokes the fires well for me when I'm feeling drained.

:Hug2:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this is tough. I know exactly how you feel.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty common problem I've heard among freelance writers. It's hard to marshal those forces during a regular work day and then try to also do it at the end of a day.

I suggest what NF recommended. Take it easy and try to slowly build up your writing muscles to handle the extra load. I've seen many writers suffer some serious burnout by trying to handle too much at once.

Good luck! :)

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I like people's suggestions about waiting till it comes back to you but try reading in that time instead. Read something you've never read before. Inspire your muse, give it something to thrive on and it'll come back to you.

Everytime I've had a writing slump, I've looked back and realised I've stopped reading enough.

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the woods, running with the Tigers......
Why not, when you have time, take long walks and have a journal with you. Think about creative and outta there things. Like your boss turning into a crazed out werewolve. Take some music with you too. Hum to yourself. There are plenty of things to do when you need some creative juice.:D

Good luck and happy writing:hooray:!

:Hug2:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I third (fourth?) the take it easy suggestion. I'm in a similar situation and find I need to give myself time to relax before I'm ready to write. This means I often don't get much writing done during the week, and I run around like a fiend on Saturdays getting all the life stuff in order for the next week so I can relax a bit and then get down to some writing.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I started a job much like that about 2 1/2 years ago, and ran into much the same problem, and it still resurfaces from time to time. I'll echo others and say give yourself time to adjust, and then maybe think about a different writing routine. I started getting up at 5:30 to write before work and going to a coffee shop for lunch with pen and paper, and eventually got back into the swing of things. Like I said, it still creeps up on me sometimes, particularly when I've worn myself out at work, but I'm on a pretty even keel now.

Good luck! :Hug2:

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I'd immerse myself in something of interest to me. I always get inspired when reading about the subjects I love to write about. Perhaps there's a particular subject you're really interested in? Even if it's not something you write about, maybe it can inspire you to be creative?

Regarding energy, apologies, I have no advice there aside from echoing the others in suggesting you write at a different time if possible.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Dolores, I empathize, although the jobs were different. After a wonderful, limited-time experience that fueled my creativity, I went back to working retail and struggling to get by. Ever since, I've been so off-kilter. Unable to focus, to produce, to get excited; it's exhausting. :Hug2:

But...

Everytime I've had a writing slump, I've looked back and realised I've stopped reading enough.

bsolah is right on the money here, at least for me. Reading is reinvigorating. My suggestion would be, if you can't write anything, just pick up a book and peruse a few pages. It will stimulate and strengthen you.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
I have 3 (I think thats all) things that I do when I feel my well drying up:

1. take a list (at least ten) of random words or grouped words, and use them to write (anything) it doesn't have to make a lot of sense just feel right to you, a poem short story. Have someone give you a list(of ten things off top of their head), its easier then writing it yourself in the beginning!
example: 1. after rain, handsome, don't slip, you in car, rocky water, My baby, oh so cute, don't know, black water, the end, you fade.
And I make it into:
The End.
My baby handsome,
Oh so cute,
You in car, don't know.
After rain, don't slip.
Black water, rocky water,
You fade.
2. My gibbersh typing. 3. And everyone has their music...

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, everyone. There are a few suggestions I haven't already tried.

I really appreciate the advice (and the fact that no-one actually kicked me...yet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.