Too many love interests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing about a pretty MC in high school, is it unrealistic to write about them having a choice of different guys they can get together with? I've planned out my entire series of books (currently at seven...eek!), but it seems as if I have a new love interest in every book, although she never gets with any of them except the first one. They just chase her, hoping to be with her, doing whatever they can to be with her.
First book is love interest no.1. Second book is still love interest no.1 but love interest no.2 is introduced and begins his game to win her affection. Book three gets rid of love interest no.1 and love interest no.3 steps in. Book four has love interest no.1 back in the game, and love interest no.3 is removed. Book five is love interest no.1 fighting against no.2 again. And the rest continues on like that.
The thing is, she'll never get with love interest no.2, but she can't deny there's a spark there, and although she expresses not wanting to be with him, sometimes she fantasizes about it. However, she'll start with no.1 and stay with no.1 except in book 3 where she tries to move on with love interest no.3. Have I lost you yet? Do you think this is ok for YA? Or does she sound like a big slut haha.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
She doesn't sound like a slut, but the reader better be able to see how desirable she is. There's nothing worse than watching guys chase after a MC and having no idea what they see in her.

Danthia

Depends. If every book is about her and some guy, that would get pretty boring pretty fast for me (though I'm not a romance reader). If she's doing something else that's the drive for the book and series, and she has guys interested throughout, then it could work. I don't think it's unrealistic to have multiple guys interested in her over her high school years. How you handle it will mater more than the bare facts.

Redaelf

VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hakusa-tegami.livejournal.com
I can see you having some tactical issues with this, though.

Are you going to paint all of them as equally desireable, one after the other?
Are you going to paint her as toying with them?
Are there really so many guys who are going to like that particular girl, enough for her to be constantly pursued seriously by someone?

It's much more satisfying in a series, I think, to have one character you want the heroine to get together with, or even two, and have that withheld. (Though this can sometimes seem forced, if it's nothing more than the characters having whimsy doubts.)

I know my mom can talk about half a dozen boys who pursued her during her middle school, high school and college careers...but that's a good 10 years, really. Is this series going to be so long?

I wouldn't kibosh it right off, but do think about the implications, if you're worried about doing it. It's not a matter of "is it okay or not" but more "will it work".

Last edited:

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so I'll give you guys more information. The story is a fantasy and the romance is not the main focus of the story at all. She falls for guy one, and they get together and have a romance as a sub-plot to the story. Then guy one's old friend comes to town and takes a liking to the MC. But she's in love with guy one so she snubs guy two. She can see that there is something desireable about guy two however, and sometimes she wonders what life would be like without him. Guy two is aggressive, cocky, taunting and bascially real fun to write. He pulls no punches, especially when it comes to the MC. He'll blackmail her, threaten her, flirt with her - anything.

Then when guy one gets so jealous of guy two, guy one moves away for a while (except he doesn't - he's sent to a different dimension by guy two to get him out the way, but the MC thinks he's left her) and instead of getting with guy two, who scares her as much as he intrigues her, she meets guy three who starts off as her best friend but then she moves on with him.

When guy one comes back, he sees that the MC is happy with guy three and stays away from her. But she can't stay away from guy one, and ends up breaking guy three's heart in order to be with guy one. Guy three then leaves, but it doesn't stop the rival between guy one and two.

Also, the readers will know the MC is pretty, so it definitely won't be a Bella Swan flaw. The MC knows she is pretty too. I'm working it so that hopefully the readers will want the MC and guy one to be together - and perhaps even guy two, for those who like a bit of evil in their men.

Redaelf

VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hakusa-tegami.livejournal.com
You may be just diluting the triangle by having more than a few rivals, though. Just a consideration. I'd start writing and see how it goes.

Some not-YA series do this sort of thing, I'll bet YA series' I don't read do, too. And usually there is the one old steadfast, challenged by others. Just be thoughtful about how you do it, that's all.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Be sure you don't wind up in a situation in which you spend the whole first book getting her with boy number one, and then I open the second book and it seems like there's a new boy who has a shot.

Well...it depends on how realistically it's done. But I'd be careful.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
You're right. I'm going to make it clear that boy two doesn't have a shot, but he's having fun trying, and I'm having fun writing him trying haha.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I think it sounds fine. I hate to say this, but look at Gossip Girl or half of the other teen series. As long as we like the main character, then having her with other guys willk keep our attention. It might even build suspense, having fans root for one character or another (also hate to say this, but TEAM EDWARD, TEAM JACOB). I don't think to many love interests is an issue.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - yeah you're right about those kind of things. It should come across that the person she starts with will be the person she ends with, but of course no relationship is ever smooth.

SilverVistani

Registered
Reaction score
To the comment about her sounding like a slut... If other people are interested in you, that doesn't make you a slut. She'd only be a slut if she slept with all of them in turn in every book. ^_^() You know... just sayin'. Being liked by other people isn't a crime and it isn't slutty either.

And so far as having that many people interested in the character, yeah. I don't think that is at all unreasonable. My little sister is in high school right now and I swear she's had more boyfriends than I ever have. She's on guy, like, 4 or 5 now, because they keep breaking up with her (I think one of them might have left her because they weren't getting any. XD Go lil sis!).

It doesn't make her a slut and she isn't any less believable as a living human being.

One thing that you really do have to be careful of, though, is perfection. If your MC whom all of these guys love so much is absolutely flawless... THAT is far more of a problem than if she seems like she maybe kinda might be a slut-- which she isn't. Everyone has flaws and everyone has things that other people will find stupid/annoying/disgusting about them.

Different people will view these differently. Maybe G2 becomes somewhat appealing to her because he doesn't think her laugh sounds like a chihuahua yipping, but instead thinks it's really cute.

So yeah... Avoid 'perfection' and it could add whole new levels for character interaction and development.

And hopefully my rambling has been at all useful rather than simply moronic. ^_^()

Last edited:

CharlotteAmbrose

Registered
Reaction score
To me when I read, as long as I find the MC interesting I'll take whatever happens to her. The fact that she doesn't get with them all seems like it would work fine. And depending on how she comes across - I might even like it if she did get with them all.
I had the same problem by writing away about a girl and giving her an ex who still wanted her, but having two new main guys fight over her. Then I threw in someone asking her out in front of one of the mains. I was thinking - is it too much to have four guys after her?
This thread was helpful to me on settling that.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
In my personal experience, I've found that when you're single you don't get as much attention as when you're with someone and can't do anything about it!! Thanks everyone for your comments. She's definitely not flawless; I can't take perfect characters - and neither are the guys.

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be an interesting look in to MC to see how she handles the attention of admirers if she is decidedly loyal to Guy #1. How many people in relationships HAVEN'T been hit on, tempted, wondered what if...?, or even led away by someone else?

Blind Writer hit it on the head with having enough turmoil to for fans to draw lines in the sand. (I am addicted to HBO's TrueBlood (haven't read the books) and am totally TEAM SAM) It gives a story a different angle to be pondered from, but it seems that this choosing sides phenomenon is more apt with female readers. And even still, this is never THE plot, always a charming playful subplot ;)

Good Luck!

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
Guys seem to have a rule that they want the unattainable, so it's not unheard of to have several guys after you at once. I knew a girl in college who literally had a group of guys crazy about her, but they were friendly about it and called themselves her Fan Club. It was hilarious--and she married one of the clubbies in the end. Just make sure, like everyone has noted, that you make her and the guys seem REAL through it all, and don't throw in guys just to throw them in. They each need to move the story along.
Have fun!!

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! You've made me feel a lot better about it. You're great.

hesslei

Registered
Reaction score
I get nervous on dates

I get nervous on dates at the best of times. I never know exactly what to say or do, and most of the time I end up saying stupid things. Anyone who’s ever gone out on a date with me will know firsthand how awkward it can be, but I make no apologizes as I really do try my hardest to impress and have a good time. Of course with age and experience the whole dating scene is becoming somewhat less nerve wreaking for me, and when it’s with someone I’ve sort of been out with before it isn’t so bad.

------------
hesslei..

Adult Dating

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Blind Writer hit it on the head with having enough turmoil to for fans to draw lines in the sand. (I am addicted to HBO's TrueBlood (haven't read the books) and am totally TEAM SAM) It gives a story a different angle to be pondered from, but it seems that this choosing sides phenomenon is more apt with female readers. And even still, this is never THE plot, always a charming playful subplot ;)
!

Totally off subject, but TEAM BILL!!

See, this is the fun part for the writer. ONe day, when I write a series of books (God willing) I hope people are questioning who my MC will fall for and argue over who is the better choice. I think it's flattering to have people adore your characters enough to conflict over them.

Example: I fight with a girl about the Gossip Girl TV series all of the time. I'm totally for Blair/Chuck, and she's a big fan of Blair/Nate. This just means that we both love the show (while different from a book, the same premise applies) enough to fight over it. We long to know who will win out in the end.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
I would love for that to happen in my own work. I need to start watching this True Blood series. I started watching the one about the detective, Blood Ties I think, but it was boring. This one any better?

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I have to say is, that as long as there is some point that moves the story along, go for the multiple love interests. If they really aren't going to do anything for the story, then you're better off with just the one, possibly two.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I would love for that to happen in my own work. I need to start watching this True Blood series. I started watching the one about the detective, Blood Ties I think, but it was boring. This one any better?

True Blood is anything but boring, I assure you.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing worse than watching guys chase after a MC and having no idea what they see in her.

Want to visit my high school?

I'm a professional high schooler and trust me the girls that guys chase after, I don't know what they see in them. Of course I might just be jealous, who knows?

Ok so I'll give you guys more information. The story is a fantasy and the romance is not the main focus of the story at all. She falls for guy one, and they get together and have a romance as a sub-plot to the story. Then guy one's old friend comes to town and takes a liking to the MC. But she's in love with guy one so she snubs guy two. She can see that there is something desireable about guy two however, and sometimes she wonders what life would be like without him. Guy two is aggressive, cocky, taunting and bascially real fun to write. He pulls no punches, especially when it comes to the MC. He'll blackmail her, threaten her, flirt with her - anything.

Sounds like a human version of Twilight. Guy #1 would be Edward and Guy #2 is Jacob, the obnoxious jerk.

You have my interest. What's the fantasy part and how do the guys tie into it?

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
To me, a love triangle is boring when there is this one guy who is the true, true love, and we never for a moment doubt that he is the one MC really loves and will end up with. Where's the tension in that? I think the best love triangle's have the the MC genuinely torn between the two options.

Also, the MC should be more than pretty to attract so many guys. I mean, pretty is great and all, but I hope she has an interesting personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.