Which city is the most haunted?

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
This is for a book project. In your opinion, which city is the most haunted? Naturally, I am hoping people who have been to the cities can answer from personal experience. But I am also open to answers based on what you know and have heard.

From the states listed below, please tell me what city, in your opinion, is the most haunted. Based on all I have read and heard, I really can't decide!

FOR CALIFORNIA:

Hollywood or San Francisco?

FOR MASSACHUSETTS:

Boston or Salem?

FOR TEXAS:

Jefferson or Galveston?

I might add more later.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
We recently took a trip to Boston and Salem. Given that my kids are into the scary and macabre, we took a touristy "ghost tour" in each place. Boston had much more to talk about.

ETA: Didn't see any ghosts, though. Darn.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Boston. For the love of Shiva, is it ever Boston over Salem. Everyone always wants to think Salem because of the trials, but Salem has nothing on Boston's long-lasting fire and tragedy.

As far the most haunted in the US?

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, is a serious contender for blatant reasons. New Orleans and St. Augustine as well. The only haunted city I know a good deal about outside of the United States, is Edinburgh, Scotland.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I used to live in Los Angeles, and the only haunted place I ever heard about was the Roosevelt Hotel. I would think SF has more legends.

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salvatorepublishing.com

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to live in Los Angeles, and the only haunted place I ever heard about was the Roosevelt Hotel. I would think SF has more legends.

There's the Comedy Store (formerly Ciro's).

There's a house somewhere in LA that supposedly rained money on its occupants. It might be the Holly Mont/Mount House. It had a woman's grave in an underground corridor...

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
This is for a book project. In your opinion, which city is the most haunted? Naturally, I am hoping people who have been to the cities can answer from personal experience. But I am also open to answers based on what you know and have heard.

From the states listed below, please tell me what city, in your opinion, is the most haunted. Based on all I have read and heard, I really can't decide!

FOR CALIFORNIA:

Hollywood or San Francisco?

FOR MASSACHUSETTS:

Boston or Salem?

FOR TEXAS:

Jefferson or Galveston?

I might add more later.

Just from personal experience and also paranormal reading, I would say,

Texas....Jefferson, hands down
California, Hollywood, no contest
Mass, Boston, Salem always gets in on history alone but I vote for Boston

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Galveston's 'UTMB Ghost' is a real freak-out. I've seen it a couple dozen times, because when I went to college there I'd take visitors out to see it. All were laughing and skeptical on the way down there.

All were stunned believers on the way out, every last one of them.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
OK, so it's Hollywood for California and Boston for Massachusetts. Thanks! :)

Now it's onto getting stories of ghosty sightings at certain hot spots. (Or should I say, "cold spots." LOL :D ) Joe, thanks for the input. I'm still torn between Galveston or Jefferson. If I choose the former, I just might bug you for quotes. ;) I guess it really depends on how many stories of sightings I can get.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Just as an FYI, there are two other towns you might want to look into that aren't in those three states.

Athens, Ohio is listed as one of the Ten Most Haunted spots in the world. The campus of Ohio University is extremely haunted, and ghost hunters from all over the world go to the library to research the 'ghost file'--an actual file of paranormal events that go back for decades.

Adams, Tennessee is the site of the most famous poltergeist case in history--that of the Bell Witch, which was documented by President Andrew Jackson in his memoirs. Do NOT buy into American Haunting, which was falsified from the actual story. The episode took place in the early 1800s and caused a sensation that still lingers in the town today.

There are numerous web sites for both places that can be easily researched. As for your OP, I'd say Hollywood, Boston and Galvestion--JMO. Paranormal research is one of my hobbies. Good luck on your project.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Thank you. :) Yes, I have Athens, Ohio on my list. (Yep, a LIST.) I don't know about Adams, TN. I mean, I need to see if there are OTHER paranormal spots there besides Bell Witch farm. I wrote about the Bell witch location in the haunted houses book (in the sig), so I am trying to get OTHER places I haven't covered in the book. (This newest book project is not a "sequel" or "companion" to the haunted houses book. It's something else altogether.) I'm looking for various haunted locations, and not just haunted houses. I have got hotels, pubs, museums, a school and even a golf course. So I'm pretty much open to various locations in certain cities which contribute to that particular city being officially or unofficially classified as "haunted.".

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I don't think you understand. The whole TOWN is haunted by the 'Bell' Witch. I grew up ten miles from there, have done research there for a play written by Arthur Kopit, was a friend of the family who owned the land prior to this lot (who are just exploiting the legend now for profit) and spend many a night in the cave, in the old cemetary, or sitting next to the sinkhole where the original house stood. The old high school, which is several miles away and is now an antique mall is haunted. People whose farms don't abut the old Bell land hear organ music in the middle of forty acres of empty farmland. (I interviewed a lady on tape in the antique mall when I was researching for Kopit. She told me the story of the organ music in the middle of her father's tobacco field, which was a normal occurrence in her childhood, and when I played the tape back, there was organ music playing in the background. There was neither an organ nor piped in music in the building. It was silent as a tomb) Adams doesn't need another ghost; the one it's got has been there for two hundred years and apparently affects the land in a ten mile radius from the old Bell farm outwards.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Thank you. :) Yes, Gettysburg and New Orleans are on the list.

I don't think you understand. The whole TOWN is haunted by the 'Bell' Witch. I grew up ten miles from there, have done research there for a play written by Arthur Kopit, was a friend of the family who owned the land prior to this lot (who are just exploiting the legend now for profit) and spend many a night in the cave, in the old cemetary, or sitting next to the sinkhole where the original house stood. The old high school, which is several miles away and is now an antique mall is haunted. People whose farms don't abut the old Bell land hear organ music in the middle of forty acres of empty farmland. (I interviewed a lady on tape in the antique mall when I was researching for Kopit. She told me the story of the organ music in the middle of her father's tobacco field, which was a normal occurrence in her childhood, and when I played the tape back, there was organ music playing in the background. There was neither an organ nor piped in music in the building. It was silent as a tomb) Adams doesn't need another ghost; the one it's got has been there for two hundred years and apparently affects the land in a ten mile radius from the old Bell farm outwards.

Whoa. Seriously?? I never knew about that. Probably because I kept my research limited to the FARM and not the surrounding areas. There were people saying the Bell witch never came back the second time she said she'd come back and that was pretty much the end of it. Seems to me that you and I need to have some dialogue about this.