Get the Love Vaccine

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
scientists might be able to come up with a way to cure you from your love:

A love vaccine seems simpler and more practical, and already there are some drugs that seem to inhibit people’s romantic impulses (see TierneyLab, at www.nytimes.com/tierneylab). Such a vaccine has already been demonstrated in prairie voles.

“If we give an oxytocin blocker to female voles, they become like 95 percent of other mammal species,” Dr. Young said. “They will not bond no matter how many times they mate with a male or hard how he tries to bond. They mate, it feels really good and they move on if another male comes along. If love is similarly biochemically based, you should in theory be able to suppress it in a similar way.”

I doubt many people would want to permanently suppress love, but a temporary vaccine could come in handy. Spouses going through midlife crises would not be so quick to elope with their personal trainers; elderly widowers might consult their lawyers before marrying someone resembling Anna Nicole Smith. Love is indeed a many-splendored thing, but sometimes we all need to tie ourselves to the mast.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/science/13tier.html?_r=2&em

cue kanye's "heartless".

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I doubt many people would want to permanently suppress love, but a temporary vaccine could come in handy. Spouses going through midlife crises would not be so quick to elope with their personal trainers;
But wouldn't it also have the side effect of suppressing your love with your SPOUSE? Or are we assuming by the time you HAVE a mid-life crisis, love has long since died and become simple contentment?

And I had heard that love triggers a chemical reaction in the brain that is exactly the same as what you get from eating chocolate. So rather then get stabbed with a needle, why don't you just eat chocolate?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a weird notion.

ETA: Love makes the world go 'round. Seriously. The fact that people generally have someone in their lives they give a crap about and are able to empathize with others keeps us from descending into violent chaos.

Feel the love!

Reaction score
Move to Scotland. That'll cure you of any and all lustings.

Except...my problem is I'm currently watching the Masters snooker tournament and the sight of Neil Robertson does strange things to me...

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I have an even better idea:

Just make them into zombies! Practically the same thing.

What a brave new world.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When dealing with hormones, can you be really sure?

Since Spanish fly is supposed to provoke a polar opposite reaction than this oxytocin blocker, I'd say, yeah, you can be sure. Spanish fly makes you more amorous, not less.

Or at least it's supposed to. Am I missing something?

Like another joke? Because I'm good at missing the point sometimes. :D

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
For the ladies, I can set you up on a date with my ex, the one who fancies himself to be the love child of Quentin Tarentino and Kenneth Anger with just a dash of Oliver Stone thrown in. That will cure you of any romantic impulses you might ever feel again forever...

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since Spanish fly is supposed to provoke a polar opposite reaction than this oxytocin blocker, I'd say, yeah, you can be sure. Spanish fly makes you more amorous, not less.

Or at least it's supposed to. Am I missing something?

Like another joke? Because I'm good at missing the point sometimes.
Actually, Spanish Fly is a urogenital irritant that causes excessive edema in them thar areas. Oxytocin produces uterine contractions during childbirth and the milk let-down response in nursing. It's functions at other times are less well known, and there certainly could be subtle effects that haven't been noted (for the good or for the bad, or both). I am serious when I say it's usually not wise to mess with the endocrine system unless there is a specific diagnosed problem with a clear hormonal treatment. An example is hormone therapy for post-menopausal women. The list of contraindications makes the prescription a very serious decision.

Preliminary results from a non-human mammal, without appropriate human trials, is hardly reason to kick up the heels of medical miracle. Furthermore, relating this to "love" is anthropomorphism at its best.

And, yes. The Spanish Fly thing was just a joke.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I had heard that love triggers a chemical reaction in the brain that is exactly the same as what you get from eating chocolate. So rather then get stabbed with a needle, why don't you just eat chocolate?

Hmm. So if you go out and have a love affair AND eat chocolate at the same time--

Wow. A person would be feelin' mighty good.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty much how I spend my weekends...

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Spanish Fly is a urogenital irritant that causes excessive edema in them thar areas. Oxytocin produces uterine contractions during childbirth and the milk let-down response in nursing. It's functions at other times are less well known, and there certainly could be subtle effects that haven't been noted (for the good or for the bad, or both). I am serious when I say it's usually not wise to mess with the endocrine system unless there is a specific diagnosed problem with a clear hormonal treatment. An example is hormone therapy for post-menopausal women. The list of contraindications makes the prescription a very serious decision.

Preliminary results from a non-human mammal, without appropriate human trials, is hardly reason to kick up the heels of medical miracle. Furthermore, relating this to "love" is anthropomorphism at its best.

Quoted for truth.

Bad idea to start administering drugs for something easily controlled with a little wisdom and self-control. :rolleyes:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
yeah the writer of the article is actually pretty notorious for his pseudo-scientific speculations. but i can definitely see some people wanting a love vaccine after a particularly harsh breakup.

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My emotions are exactly as complex as a Prarie Vole's so this should work.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
sure just pour the chocolate on someone and....

nuff said.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
yeah the writer of the article is actually pretty notorious for his pseudo-scientific speculations. but i can definitely see some people wanting a love vaccine after a particularly harsh breakup.
hmmmm ... I don't know. Maybe I'm weird, but love was the last thing on my mind right after I got a divorce. You could have dropped a sex god in my lap and I would have passed.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
hmmmm ... I don't know. Maybe I'm weird, but love was the last thing on my mind right after I got a divorce. You could have dropped a sex god in my lap and I would have passed
him over to me!

(this isn't towards anyone.. just my two cents about the average joe.)
When do humans get to be accountable for their actions and have enough will power to turn away. Yes, breaking up with someone may suck... but that is part of life. I am getting tired of so many who want to feel numb all the time. Emotions are the side-effects of being alive! Geesh!

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, the more I read that thread title, the more I think that would make a great song title.

Get the Love vaccine,
and ya won't feel glum,
But ya won't feel good,
Man, you'll just feel numb.

Get the Love vaccine
and ya won't get hurt,
No, you won't feel pain,
you'll be dull as dirt.

Etc.

It'll be a huge hit!

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: There ya go, Rhymegirl. :)

him over to me!

When do humans get to be accountable for their actions and have enough will power to turn away. Yes, breaking up with someone may suck... but that is part of life. I am getting tired of so many who want to feel numb all the time. Emotions are the side-effects of being alive! Geesh!
I'm not sure if the last part of this is directed at me or just speaking in general.

There are times in a person's life when they are in so much emotional pain that love can be staring them in the face and they won't see it. That's not about being numb. That's about being in pain. In some ways, numb is infinitely preferable to incredible pain. However to experience great joy, one must be willing to suffer great pain. And that is something the individual must choose to do.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quoted for truth.

Bad idea to start administering drugs for something easily controlled with a little wisdom and self-control. :rolleyes:

You are of course, assuming the person has wisdom and self-control to begin with

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ah, okay. Now I got it. Thanks for explaining. :)

Given what you said, I'd have to add that to my pile of reasons I think this would be a stupid idea.