Throat injury

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I have two questions on the subject actually:

My fantasy novel's second act is about to end with a great big battle, and a character gets hit in the throat with a circular shuriken-like weapon with a 3-inch diameter. What would it take for this to cause a lethal wound? How quickly would the victim be dead or incapacitated if hit in an artery, or the larynx?

And my main character has a horribly scratchy, ugly voice. I want to make it the result of an old wound. Could he have survived something that had such an effect, in a world with mostly medieval-level medicine? I dunno, a stabbing that nicked his larynx, a blow to the throat, a violent strangulation, or something along those lines.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
If it crushed the larynx, he'd could die of suffocation within minutes. One of the greatest fears of every hockey goalie is taking a puck there. That, and if I was in a bind and I really needed to incapacitate somebody in a fight, I'd go for the throat (that's my martial arts training talking) -- somebody who is having problems breathing can't fight.

And yes, you can survive it. I know goalies who've been hit in the layrnx with a puck and it takes weeks or longer to really recover. You can't talk. You have problems swallowing. It sucks.