Status
Not open for further replies.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I'll say it again, *SPOILERS* Do Not Read If You Haven't Seen It Yet.

I saw it earlier this morning, and I enjoyed it very much. I especially liked the General Grievous (sp?) guy. The acting, as usual, was hilariously bad in parts, thanks mostly to the stitled dialogue (especially when DV waves his arms in the air and James Earl Jones shouts "NOOOOOooooooo" at the end). The parts with the dead little kids was very disturbing, and the movie was darker than I thought it was going to be. Still, it was interesting, exciting, and I had a great time. Of the six movies, this was easily the third or second best one behind Empire and New Hope.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
enjoyed it very much, although I do feel VERY old having seen the original at age 12.

the only thing that did bother me was the amount of VERY young children in the audience for a movie that was advertised as PG-13 and was at least this rating, if not the next one higher. I'm getting prudish in my old age, but I really don't think the little ones needed to see all that violence, including some scenes of children being killed.

but, hey... that's just me.

good flick, slows down when people have to actually TALK instead of fight, but a decent way to spend a few hours.

:banana:

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
You know, that's the advertisers fault more than anything. Yes, it was rated pg-13, but if you spend any time watching Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network, you'll see ads for the movie during every. single. commercial. break. Often more than one when you count the Pepsi, Burger King, M&Ms ads ad nauseum.

lizziepants

Resident Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
I loved, loved, loved it.

I was a wee bit confused on how a robot had a coughing/asthmatic condition.

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
lizziepants said:
I loved, loved, loved it.

I was a wee bit confused on how a robot had a coughing/asthmatic condition.

He was a cyborg, like Darth Vader. Part human, part living thing. He had a beating heart and skin underneath his robotic mask.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
(SPOILER... SPOILER)

Maybe I was just tired... I was a bit underwhelmed. I felt the beginning was too video game-like. I had some trouble following all the action and special effects. It was way too busy. The middle part was good, especially leading up to the climax, and Anakin's transformation. Oooh, even though I knew what was to come, I still got chills. I think the pivotal scene with Mace Windu was very good. Possibly the strongest scene in the whole film. Count Dooku, on the other, was kind of wasted. He was such a formidable villain in II. Here, he was kind of a wimp. But I understood why.

But that "NOOOOOOOOO" at the end was so laughable, especially with the pull-away shot -- it's so cheesy. HAHA. Did Lucas do that intentionally? After that, it's just this one hurried epilogue to try to tie up all the loose ends leading up to Episode IV -- a little coy, but effective. It works because it's a "prequel" and we know how Episode IV's supposed to start. So we're looking for them... BUT... if we didn't know anything about the series, and started with Episode I... then the ending of this film would seem odd, like someone's trying to stamp out as much info as possible... e.g.

"It's a boy."
"Luke."
"Here comes a girl."
"Leia."

OK... can we let Padme ponder a bit first? Show a little more motherly love and anguish? Kiss the babies, even? They were rushing it at the end, like: Twins? Check. Droids' memory? Check... Organa and Leia? Check... check... check...

Oh, how I miss Han Solo!

Over all, I still think it's better than I and II, and probably VI. But New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are still the best.

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
Loved it and hated it at the same time, if that's possible.

First scene:wicked. I was so close to the screne that It was like IMax.

Acting: Man! will someone please teach these people how to be dramatic properly. Part of it was that some of those lined were El Cheeso, but Padme's lines at the end were Ok, she just didn't say them properly. I didn't like the guy who played Obi-wan. No expression at all. It was just kind of like: Oh look, I'm about to crash... wait, no Anakin has saved me. That's good because I was rather dreading death.

One thing that really bugged me: Anakin going over to the dark side wasn't convincing enough. Not him being evil, but his reasons, and how he contradicted himself:
Anakin: It's not the Jedi Way! *saves Sideous*
Sideous: Go kill little children
Anakin: OK.

*sigh* Oh well, I loved it. I watched Empire Strikes Back today, and I felt like crying every time I saw Vader, 'cus he used to be Anakin who had curly hair and a cute nose. :p

-Ally

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
One thing that really bugged me: Anakin going over to the dark side wasn't convincing enough.
I know... He killed Dooku even though it wasn't the "Jedi" way. Then when Mace Windu tried to kill Sidious, Anakin yelled, "It's not the Jedi way." I know Lucas was setting up the parallel, but it just wasn't convincing. Then his whole reason was about saving Padme. At the end, he almost killed Padme. That's kind of contradictory. I do understand though -- his "real" reason for going to the dark side is power. But the "Padme" factor is just confusing and not very convincing. He also lacks the complexity I expect from he-who-shall-become-Vader. Like one minute he was good and boyish, the next he was a evil and killing younglings... Too extremes, like he's schizo or something.

But I do like the irony about Padme and the reason Anakin chose the dark side.

But the ending, even though cheesy, is oddly satisfying because we have been waiting for this for 28 years. And Lucas knows it. Seeing the twins and Vader and the Empirer and the Death Star at the end just gives you goosebumps. Lucas milked everything.

aboyd

Sandwich Maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.outshine.com
I mostly liked it. I saw Rotten Tomatoes gave it an overall average score of 84% positive, above parts 1, 2, and 6. But below parts 4 and 5. That seems right to me.

Darth Vader yelling "noooo" was so awful that people actually snickered at the screen, and one guy yelled back, "yeeeess!" I can't believe that Lucas essentially turned DV into a joke with that scene.

I still feel that Anakin Skywalker is nothing more than a petulant little boy. Seeing him wipe out tons of innocent people had me almost believing he was a monster, but then seeing him on the lava shouting "I hate you!" like a whiney brat, suddenly he didn't seem like a dark brooding master of evil. He just needs a spanking from his mommy.

Still, I really liked it. Everyone talks about how well it ties into episode 4. But what I admired was how well it pulled elements from 1 and 2. Throwaway scenes from 1 and 2 start to make more sense in 3. All the political crap seems to be an overindulgence if you watch 1 and 2 alone. But with 3, I got the context of patriotism gone horribly awry, lust for power, giving up liberty for security, etc. I also liked how the emperor even hinted that he possibly created Anakin himself by manipulating midichlorians (sp?). All of this was interesting.

Dooku was a waste. And that really bothered me, as he was incredibly powerful in the previous movie. I couldn't "suspend disbelief" enough to buy it.

The scenes of war were entirely too confusing. I suspect that is much more realistic, but much less satisfying.

The scenes of Jedi being assaulted/betrayed actually stirred up something in me. I thought those scenes were fairly well done -- I felt that something tragic was happening, and it felt like a real loss. That was one of the only parts of the movie with emotional impact for me.

My ratings are as follows: Phantom Menace: D+; Attack of the Clones: C-; Revenge of the Sith: B; A New Hope: B+; Empire Strikes Back: A; Return of the Jedi: C.

-Tony

Marisa Louise

Nobody knows...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I saw it last night. After a massage.......a very good one at that! I was very much awake though, because the massage therapist knew I got stuck in nealry 2 hours of traffic on a drive that usually takes me 20 minutes, and she knew I'd have nearly the same battle on the way back! Good thing I was awakened by the massage or at some parts of the movie I might have been compelled to cry out of disappointment rather than laugh!

I think that the movie was ALRIGHT. I didn't think much more of it. I really don't think that they developed Anakin/Darth's character enough in the films. Perhaps it was done this way on purpose so that we found it difficult to get attached to either good or evil in him and go along with it easily.... to have us always wondering, but what's the use if we already know what's going to happen?

With everyone else I laughed quite heartily after the "NyyOOOOOOOO" scene. It wasn't even just a "No" it was a "nyo". Even more pitiful!

I don't know if it was just the theater that I was in but there wasn't any gasps from the movie-goers. No breathtaking moments. But there were many moments of laughter-- and not just in the yoda-kicks-a$& scenes!

But I have to admit that I very much enjoyed seeing the gawgeous face of Hayden Christensen. Natalie's acting, on the other hand, seemed a bit passionless and just "get it over with". I read that Hayden had originally been selected for these films because he and Natalie shared a better sexual chemistry than the other candidates for the role had. Not in this film. I just wasn't gettin' the vibe!

Hmmmmmm over all, I did like the movie and I would see it again on video. But I must say that on Wednesday I was thoroughly angered with the star wars fans for blocking off hollywood and highland. All I wanted to do was see my friend's new apartment--- and there was absolutely NO parking space within probably 12 blocks in every which direction of the damn premier! LOL.

"two thumbs: half-way up"

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was thoroughly angered with the star wars fans for blocking off hollywood and highland.

I'd avoid Hollywood and Highland at all cost anytime, anyway. That area is always deadlock-prone.

Marisa Louise

Nobody knows...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
You know, it's rather interesting. I've never had a problem with traffic there until this time! I've almost always had not very difficult traffic to get to Hollywood and had a rather simple time navigating the traffic. But this time... it was probably the fact that it took me two hours to get off on Sunset when it usually only takes me 45 minutes; and then another hour to get from Sunset to Wilcox! Then no parking... so no visitng-- followed by more lovely traffic! LOL. That might have been what frustrated me.

However, it was amusing to see young Jedi knights roaming planet Earth--and the streets of Hollywood, more specifically. Not to mention that we saw Greg Kinnear driving in his car rockin' out to some music (or swearing at the traffic). I couldn't help but laugh!

gina

lost in the twilight zone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ginasramblings.blogspot.com
I saw the movie back on Thursday, and I loved it. Yes, their was some parts that I thought were questionable. I think it should probably have been Rated R, especially with the way Anakin is burned at the end, and the killing of the Jedi Younglings. I wrote a review of it as well in my blog.

Today I spent the day watching the Trilogy. Watching the Trilogy after seeing Episode III is a completely different experience. I actually found a few places where the story just didn't add up.

In Episode IV, when R2-D2 and 3po meet Ben Kenobi for the first time, Ben who we know is Obi-wan, has no memory of the droids. It wasn't his memory that was wiped at the end of Episode III, but 3po's so how could he forget the two droids that he knew belonged to Anakin and Padme for so many years.

Also another Obi-wan thing I noticed. In Episode V, when Obi-wan is talking to Yoda when Luke leaves for the Cloud City, it is almost as if he had forgotten about Leia, when he was there when she was born, and the first to hold her.

Also Hayden as Anakin in Episode III was a good match for Luke in Episode IV. He looked like he could be his father.

This is what happens when nothing is good on television! I spend time analyzing things I probably shouldn't.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We saw it yesterday morning. Maybe, I'm just a sucker, by I loved it. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I was kid when the first movie came out (I even had my picture taken with Darth Vader at the local mall that same year). I totally bought Anakin's descent into darkness and evil. Palpatine manipulated the young Jedi perfectly. The movie moved me in a way few films have. Once again, probably because of the special palce the first movie had in my heart since I was a youngling. I was able to look past the silliness. For me, it was the cinematic triumpth of science fiction. Really. Now, ask me again after I see it the second time. Maybe, I won't think so.diana

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
gina said:
In Episode IV, when R2-D2 and 3po meet Ben Kenobi for the first time, Ben who we know is Obi-wan, has no memory of the droids. It wasn't his memory that was wiped at the end of Episode III, but 3po's so how could he forget the two droids that he knew belonged to Anakin and Padme for so many years.

Also another Obi-wan thing I noticed. In Episode V, when Obi-wan is talking to Yoda when Luke leaves for the Cloud City, it is almost as if he had forgotten about Leia, when he was there when she was born, and the first to hold her.

Yeah, those were the things I noticed too. There was just no way to reconcile them. Well, maybe one...maybe OBi Wan's spent too much time in the desert. Maybe he's getting a tad senile by Episode IV...

diana

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
Or how Anikan could forget them after he created C3PO, and he took care of his wife.:Huh: The movie is full of inconsistencies.

Lisa Y

Picked last in gym
Registered
Reaction score
I absolute writely LOVED the movie, but like many of you, I thought the "I'll go to the dark side to save Padme" was really lame. I felt like I did while watching "Titanic". "Oh, maybe he won't go to the dark side," I'd think. Maybe it won't happen!! Duh, I'd kick myself in the back of the head, New Hope, Empire, Jedi!!?? Remember those.

Anyway, a few questions nag at me still.

1) Why doesn't Ben recognize the droids when they show up in New Hope. "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid," was his line, I believe. Was he senile or pretending?

2) Why does Leia claim to remember her mother in Jedi?

3) If they were trying to hide the babies, why on earth (or some other planet) did Luke retain the last name of Skywalker when he was adopted by the Lars family? Why, why, why???

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
Why does Leia claim to remember her mother in Jedi?

This drove me nuts the moment Anikan said "You'll die in childbirth." The reason for Padme dying is not even very clear "she's lost the will to live". Ok... I don't believe Padme would ever lose the will to live- not with two children.
*sigh* I hate inconsitencies in movies.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved this movie. Lucas has brought it all together. Like someone said above, I'll never look at the original trilogy the same way again.

Too extremes, like he's schizo or something.
Of course he is. He's being influenced by Sidious, who's not just trying to talk Anakin into turning dark, he's subtly using the Force on him to influence his decisions. After all, as revealed, Anakin was created by Sidious to ultimately end up as his apprentice. Anakin is the chosen one, only in reverse of how the Jedi interpreted the prophesy. How could the guy not be schizo?
Why does Leia claim to remember her mother in Jedi?
Leia is remembering Bail Organa's wife, the woman she grew up thinking was her mother. She thought Bail was her dad.
Why doesn't Ben recognize the droids when they show up in New Hope. "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid," was his line, I believe. Was he senile or pretending?
Pretending, in the sense that it wasn't time to reveal the truth of what happened in the Clone Wars. Heck, he's hiding who Vader really is, so it's no stretch for him to avoid admitting he's seen these two droids before. Besides, where in any of the movies does it say Obi-Wan owned R2 or 3PO? He's telling the truth. He doesn't remember owning them, because he never did.
If they were trying to hide the babies, why on earth (or some other planet) did Luke retain the last name of Skywalker when he was adopted by the Lars family? Why, why, why???
Anakin thinks he killed Padme before the babies were born, and therefore thinks he killed his child as well. He doesn't even know there were two. Tatooine is way out on the outer rim, and Vader would never get out there before the chase of Leia's ship at the beginning of Episode IV.
In Episode V, when Obi-wan is talking to Yoda when Luke leaves for the Cloud City, it is almost as if he had forgotten about Leia
It's been nearly two decades since Luke and Leia were split up, and Obi-Wan spent all that time watching over Luke. I don't think it's an inconsistency. I take Yoda's comment there as a reminder to Obi-Wan of something he just hasn't considered because he spend so many years focused on Luke.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Diana Hignutt said:
Yeah, those were the things I noticed too. There was just no way to reconcile them. Well, maybe one...maybe OBi Wan's spent too much time in the desert. Maybe he's getting a tad senile by Episode IV...

diana

Yeah, but I think it's because Obi-wan deliberately wanted to be obscure. It's not as if he didn't recognize c3po -- remember, Leia sent R2D2 to deliver the message to Obi-wan. I think when Obi-wan saw c3po, he was just trying to be discreet.

The thing I don't understand, though, is if they want to hide Luke, why Tatooine? That would be one of the first place the Emperor and Darth Vader would look... how on Earth could they hide Luke for 20 years, with the last name Skywalker!!!?? I think since Episode IV opened that way, they HAVE to make it so. But now, seeing Episode III, it just doesn't really make sense.

2) Why does Leia claim to remember her mother in Jedi?

A good one. I can't believe they missed that.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Kida Adelyne said:
This drove me nuts the moment Anikan said "You'll die in childbirth." The reason for Padme dying is not even very clear "she's lost the will to live". Ok... I don't believe Padme would ever lose the will to live- not with two children.
*sigh* I hate inconsitencies in movies.

Oh yeah, that actually makes Padme less sympathetic. She's giving birth to twins and she's lost the will the live... what kind of a mother is she? I find her character just falls apart in III -- she was strong and resourceful in I and II, but here, she more or less just does the "why me? Poor me" routine, and stands by to watch the Emperor takes over everything without doing anything.

Even with all these plot and character flaws, though, I still like the film very much... so what does it say?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just returned from seeing Star Wars. I basically liked it but agree with some of the comments posted here. I thought Natalie Portman's acting was very flat throughout most of it. The best acting in my opinion was delivered by the Chancellor, is that what his title was? Loved the way he delivered his lines, loved the way he could appear to be good, but also nasty.

My favorite "characters" in the whole saga have always been C3PO and R2. They bring much-needed comic relief.

Saw a whole bunch of coming attractions before the flick; some look pretty interesting.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the issue about Leia saying she remembered her mother, I just assumed she was talking about her adoptive mother. That's the only mother she could possibly remember. So I guess we are supposed to assume that her adoptive mother dies young or early on in Leia's life.

aboyd

Sandwich Maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.outshine.com
maestrowork said:
She's giving birth to twins and she's lost the will the live... what kind of a mother is she?
You know, while I found the death-in-childbirth scene to be rather flat, I also by that time had been hit over the head with the revelation that Palpatine had been not only manipulating politics, but human life. It was clear to me that Palpatine was deliberately putting the visions of death into Anakin's head, to manipulate him. I mean, Palpatine knew Anakin's problem before he said it, and Anakin stared at him wide-eyed, wondering how he knew so much.

So by the time that death-in-childbirth scene happened, especially with the doctors saying they couldn't explain why she was dying, I just assumed that it was Palpatine... er, Darth Sidious, manipulating human life again. The only flaw in that thinking is that if I were Darth Sidious, I would be sure to kill the progengy of the most powerful Jedi ever, too. My only guess would be that, perhaps in arrogance, he found the children to be irrelevant.

In any case, I'm sure we'll get hit over the head with the answers by the TV show that comes out in 2006. It's a 1 year series that is supposed to explain what happens between episode 3 and 4.

-Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.