Heroin Addicts, Recovering Heroin Addicts...

LadyVonFright

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so I've just discovered that my main character's brother used to have a terrible addiction to Heroin. However I know nothing about the drug, therefore know nothing about recovering from it's hold. Basically what I was wondering was, if anyone that has a background in this either from personal experience or even knows someone in that situation would mind answering a few questions I had about it. I understand if you want to remain annonymous if thats the case you can either pm me or email me with your answers.
If you arent comfortable with certain questions, please don't answer them, I don't want anyone to feel terrible about answering them.

How did you get involved with it?

Who were you with the first time you did it?

What did the first time feel like?

Did it always feel the same way?

Do you feel it instantly or is it a high that comes with time?

What does it look like?

How do you use it?

Is there any slang you used to refer to it?

What did you like best about it?

What did you like least about it?

How would you feel now that your sobre, if someone you loved started doing it? What would you say to them?

Do you still crave it?

What made you decide enough was enough?

How do you feel about it now?

How long have you been sobre?

Do you regret ever getting into it?

I know it's alot of questions, and I may not even use all of the information I gather, however I feel the more I know can't hurt :p

Aschenbach

Moral Marjorie
Registered
Reaction score
I have no personal experience myself, but I recommend you read Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. Or even just watch the film if you can't get hold of the book. It answers all the questions in your post.

LadyVonFright

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but to be honest I could't get into it, that was quite a while ago though.

Id rather speak to a few people about it though, I don't like getting my information through movies or books even if they are based on true experiences.

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used it, but I represented several junkies. I'll answer what I can of your questions. I strongly recommend watching A PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK as well. Very realistic.

How did you get involved with it?

Who were you with the first time you did it?

What did the first time feel like? Described as an incredible rush.

Did it always feel the same way? No, tolerance builds steadily. Even if doses are measured, you have to steadily increase the dose. But usually on the street doses are uncontrolled and hard to determine. This is one of the reasons for frequent overdoses.

Do you feel it instantly or is it a high that comes with time? Depends upon on how you take it. Intravenous injection is within 30 seconds. Snorting is within something like 5 minutes.

What does it look like? White powder.

How do you use it? Smoke can be inhaled, powder can be inhaled, or injected into either vein or muscle.

Is there any slang you used to refer to it?

What did you like best about it? Most seem to like the instant response.

What did you like least about it? Withdrawal. Very nasty.

How would you feel now that your sobre, if someone you loved started doing it? What would you say to them? I've never met a sober junkie. It's incredibly difficult to quit.

Do you still crave it? The need never goes away from what I've seen.

What made you decide enough was enough? Usually six feet of dirt.

How do you feel about it now?

How long have you been sobre?

Do you regret ever getting into it? Every one I represented hated being hooked.

I know it's alot of questions, and I may not even use all of the information I gather, however I feel the more I know can't hurt :p

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Irvine Welsh's Ecstacy may help. Although the drug isn't Heroin, it may explain the process of getting hooked onto a drug. And it's not written in Scottish, so it's a bit easier to read.

I know you have said above that you would rather not do your research by reading others' novels, but just think of this - you are doing a whole heap of research to get your novel right. Pretty much everyone else here is doing a whole heap of research to get their stories right, and I think anyone who has had the energy and interest enough to write a story will have put some effort into getting their research right. So, my thought is that reading other's novels for research is not necessarily a bad thing.

LadyVonFright

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your responses Jim and Chev

Chev what you say makes perfect sense, however i see it as a need to put that effort in, that way i can come up with my own interpretation of it rather then be influenced by someone else's work.

lexxi

bold enough for both those XXs
Registered
Reaction score
There are some recovery discussion forums online you should be able to find by searching. You could read people's experiences posted there and maybe if you feel comfortable identify yourself as a writer and ask specific questions. Just be sensitive to the posters' reasons for being there.