Ending a sentence with a preposition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
My sister has been kind enough to proof read both my ms and my query. One thing she's been picking out are sentences which end in a preposition (it's not something I've done frequently, but she found three or four).

Is it always wrong end a sentence with them?

For example, in my query, I have the sentence: Made You Look will resonate with a market hungry for characters and situations they can identify with. She suggested it be changed to: Made You Look will resonate with a market hungry for characters and situations with which they can identify.

I probably will end up taking her suggestion, but I was curious.

Deleted member 42

No, it's not a grammatical rule, in fact; it's a matter of style and usage.

It's sort of like the "split infinitive" thing--if it sounds awkward, don't do it.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen,

Your sister is obviously of the school advocating that English should model itself on Latin. The problem is Latin is a dead language, while English still grows.

I don't believe ending a sentence in a preposition or rewording the proposition internally is either formal or informal; it's a writing style.

I still believe much of the hoopla is due to sentences ending with unnecessary prepositions, such as

He continued on.
Where are they going to?
She smiled as she climbed up.
Where is it at?
He accomplished what few had before.

Each of the above could very well drop its ending proposition, though they do have their own style defenders.

Warning: This question usually evokes quotes from Winston Churchill and Gene Rodenberry.

Anna Magdalena

Your friendly cynic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theelephantinthewritingroom.blogspot.com
Depends on the formality of what you're writing and who you're writing it for. Your sister's version is good for formal reports, essays etc. Your version is absolutely fine if it's fiction or a less formal article or report. It's up to you. Neither is wrong.

And just to please Chase, here's my version of one of them: This is something up with which I will not put.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And just to please Chase, here's my version of one of them: This is something up with which I will not put.

As Anna says, she knows what she's talking about . . . er . . . of which she speaks.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my edit passes, I search for common prepositions followed by a period (up. at. to. etc.) I look at the sentence and determine if it should be re-written. some get changed, some don't. I use this site for a list of common prepostions.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I'm reading Grammar Girl's Quick & Dirty Tips, by Mignon Fogarty, and she gives a good tip: if you can drop the preposition and the sentence still makes sense, you shouldn't end the sentence with it. For example:

Are you going with?

With is not needed, so rewrite to say:

Are you going?

In the sentence you gave, I think it IS needed, however, as others stated, it's best to stay formal in query letters and I would rewrite it for this situation. I'd also avoid "which" (personal preference), so I suggest completely rewriting that sentence.

Good luck. :)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Grammar Girl's Quick & Dirty Tips, by Mignon Fogarty, and she gives a good tip: if you can drop the preposition and the sentence still makes sense, you shouldn't end the sentence with it. For example:

Are you going with?

With is not needed, so rewrite to say:

Are you going?

In the sentence you gave, I think it IS needed, however, as others stated, it's best to stay formal in query letters and I would rewrite it for this situation. I'd also avoid "which" (personal preference), so I suggest completely rewriting that sentence.

Good luck. :)

In Minnesota, "Are you going with?" means "Are you going with him (or her)?" If I were writing in Minnesota dialect, I'd use it. Otherwise...nah.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
It was Winston Churchill, I believe, who said, "This is the kind of English up with which I will not put."

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Post #5:
Warning: This question usually evokes quotes from Winston Churchill and Gene Rodenberry.

Post #13 (Second reference to Winnie the PM):
It was Winston Churchill, I believe, who said, "This is the kind of English up with which I will not put."

Was I right, or was I right?

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
In Minnesota, "Are you going with?" means "Are you going with him (or her)?" If I were writing in Minnesota dialect, I'd use it. Otherwise...nah.

This is not standard English. I have never even heard it. It would be dialect for sure, probably influenced by German immigrants.

Compare German: "Gehen Sie mit?" Literally: "Are you going with?" which means "Are you going along?"

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
This is not standard English. I have never even heard it. It would be dialect for sure, probably influenced by German immigrants.

Compare German: "Gehen Sie mit?" Literally: "Are you going with?" which means "Are you going along?"

I have heard "Are you coming with?" several times just this week in New Jersey and Arizona. It's becoming a pretty common phrase among the young.

Reaction score
A Scottishism, for those who wish to learn Jockinese:

"D'y'wanna come with?" is popularly used for, "Would you care to accompany me to the place to which I am presently going?" :D

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Root pity in thy heart, that when it grows,
Thy pity may deserve to pitied be.

Status
Not open for further replies.