The TPLPT Bar

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Don glanced again at the massive oak door that lead to the sidewalk, wondering when, or if, his first customer would arrive.

He knew it was a crazy idea in the first place. In a first-person world like a forum, what were the chances that anyone would be interested in a bar where the only requirement was that each visitor express themselves from a Third Person Limited Past Tense viewpoint, contributing rich narrative and description as they saw fit? He was hoping to see real character development and interaction spring from the visitor's desires to improve their writing.

Could there possibly be writers who would be interested in visiting a bar like that, meeting the characters would would come to visit, and perhaps wandering out into the wider world in search of an adventure or two? With any luck, it might become a sort of Callahan's Place, and the stories that sprang to life there would become tales of legend.

He glanced up at the sign above the bar. "Beer and singles, 10 cents. doubles, 20 cents." it read. He hoped people would stick to the honor system when he wasn't around. It would be hard to police his particular clientele, anyway, since there would be that something special about each of them. He figured they'd all learn the bar's secret sooner or later.

Just then the bell above the door jingled, and he looked up to see the first customer entering the bar.

"Welcome, stranger. You're my first customer, so this drink's on me. What'll you have?"

(ETA: If this is your first visit, you might also want to attend the renaming of the bar.)

Last edited:

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Christine looks over the bottles behind the bartender. "Well then, how about some of that vodka?" She sat down on a stool, and rumaged through her purse.
"You do want me ID don't you?"

(am i doing this right?

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Don pulled the vodka bottle off the shelf and passed a hand over the glassware before pausing.

"Welcome, miss. How big a glass would you like? On the rocks, or straight up?

"And don't bother with the ID, we don't have any of that awful government stuff around here. The only rule is no initiation of force or fraud."

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Don notices the quiet lady enter the bar and settle by herself off in a corner.

"Can I buy you a drink, miss? It's the first day for the new bar, and I'm buying the first round for all the new customers."

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
She smiled over the mans business sense.
"Well, lets start with the three-finger rule, and straight up, always straight."
She put her wallet back in her purse, and grabbed her cellphone before putting the bag down. Opening the phone she turned it off, and set it on the bar.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Don pulled a highball glass off the stack, poured a generous three fingers, and slid it across the bar. "There you go, miss. I'm Don, and you would be?"

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
Kerri sighs...what a day she's having.

She could use a drink or two.

Or three.

But since only the first is free she'll have to settle for one...

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
"Christine." Christine looked into the shadows and could barely see the woman sitting there. She understood the need, maybe not her reason, but the need to just disappear. She grabbed the glass, and swallowed slowly savoring every ounce.
"How about another, and one for yourself, if you want. My compliments to the new bar."

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Don walked out from behind the bar, and over to the quiet lady by herself in the corner.

"Speak up, lass. What'll you have? Today's a day for celebration, and the first drink's on me anyway. Might as well join us at the bar."

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Christine watched Don head into the shadows, and waited for his return. Idly she opened her phone to turn it back on. Just to check.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
"Nice to meet you, Christine. Glad you like the new bar."

Don walked back behind the bar, poured another drink for Christine, grabbed another glass, and poured one for himself. "If you insist on paying for them both, that'll be 20 cents, since they're both doubles."

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Don grinned as he noticed how quickly the clientele was growing. He started to hope that he'd need to hire another bartender soon, if this kept up.

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
Kerri finally gets up the nerve to go to the bar. When the patron comes to her. "Double shot of tequila please and leave the bottle if you don't mind. But I'll take it at the bar." She knows full well she shouldn't be spending her money on this but oh well.

"Hi Christine." She says as she sees someone she's talked to before.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
She laughed, as she told "That is no problem at all, go ahead and send one to the corner booth while your'e at it, no point being in a bar if ain't gonna drink." She laughed again heartily as she saw a woman enter the bar. She nodded her direction, "after her freebie the next is on me too." She added in her head, while tapping her fingers, 60 cents. She grabbed her glass and downed it, shaking her head to clear away the misery she had felt.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Don grabbed a bottle of tequila and placed it on the bar, along with a shot glass. "There you go, miss, and all I'll ask in return at the moment is your name. You look a bit reserved this evening. Troubles?"

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
"Excuse me for just a few moments, ladies," Don said. "I need to run to the stockroom for a bit. We operate on the honor system here, so if you keep pouring, toss some change in the honor bucket there from time to time. Prices are listed behind the bar."

He pointed up at a sign that reads "beer and singles, 10 cents. doubles, 20 cents."

"Aren't those prices great? It sure is a lot cheaper running a bar when you've got no government to pay for." He laughed as he wandered off toward the back.

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
"Troubles like you wouldn't believe," Kerri sighs.

She pauses a moment, not sure if she wants to trouble these nice people with her meaningless worries but they seem nice enough so she continues.

"Well, I was kicked out of my house, my only transportation broke down, and I can't seem to find my cell phone anywhere. I'm waiting for a call from my doctor." She shakes her head and drinks her shot. "It just isn't my day today."

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
The door swung open, letting in too much wind and the first drops of rain. A tall brunette scanned the bar and took a step inside. Her phone rang. She growled at the caller i.d. and opened it. She wasn't given a chance to mutter a greeting. She listened for several seconds, tapping her foot.

"No. I told you that the first time. No, not going to do that either. Come back to me with a good idea and I'll play. No. I said a good idea. Don't call until you have one." She snapped her phone shut, stared at it, then put it in her coat pocket. She threw the coat onto the bench in the far corner and either failed to notice or care when it slid under the booth table.

Don walked out as she approached the bar.

"Well, if the man trusts me to pour my own, I'll oblige." She reached for the top shelf and found a bottle of single malt scotch, just the sort she liked - older than a college student and with a bit more character. She poured herself a double, set two dollars on the bar and placed the bottle on top of the bills. She eyed the woman who had just sat down. That was a nice piece she'd shoved back in her purse. A little old fashioned, but to each her own.

Last edited:

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
As Don walked away she grabbed a dollar bill out and tossed it in his 'honor bucket'. She shakes her head at the name, honor. What do men know about honor? She looks to her left and watches Kerri drown her sorrows in tequila, that was her drink. Christine could never understand how someone could drink tequila in the amounts that Kerri could.
She glances to her right and wonders where this new customer was going to sit. Another shadow-woman?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Don walked back into the bar just in time to hear the tequila drinker tell her tale. Let's see, he thought, Christine called her Kerri.

"Yeah, that's troubles enough for one day, Kerri. At least you didn't mention losing a job."

He turned to the lady who had just spilled her purse across the bar. "Would you care for a drink, miss, or did you just drop in to use your phone?" His grin was disarming, and took the sting from words that could have been perceived as a rebuke.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
She noticed Don's ease with words, a charming personality. Now why couldn't my husband be like that? she thought. Too late for that.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
"I'm flattered at the business, ladies. I never expected the bar to do so well so fast. I'm going to have to hire some help as soon as possible, I guess."

He slid a scotch bottle to the newest arrival, repeated the honor mantra, and glanced over at the lady who had spilled her purse. "Nice pistol, miss. Just be careful it's kept put away when you've been drinking. We want no accidents here."

"Would you and our other new arrivals care to tell us your names?"