I feel like an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
There are times where I think that my reach just far outstrips my grasp. I got a rejection today and I don't know it really hurt for some reason. It isn't like you don't get used to having your butt handed to you on a platter frequently in this business but for some reason it really got to me today. I guess because I'm too stress out in the other areas of my life --things are not going so well and I'm finding that "well, it can't get much worse than this" mentality just sets you up for alot of false bottoms to fall out from under you. (I know I should be serving some pretty darn good cheese with all this whine). I do need someone to be truthful with me on this board though. Am I posting to often? I've already figured out that I post way to often in share your work to the point people look at it and see my name and say "OMG what is with this woman?" and go on to the next posts. If someone would just give me some rule of thumbs I would appreciate it because I do want to be a contributing member but not a pain in your butt. Thanks.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Och! What a shame. We all get days when we're down and our skin is that little bit thinner than usual.

I hope the other things in your life settle down so that you can regain your sense of perspective.

In the meantime, have a hug and some virtual chocolate.

Take care.

:Hug2:

aq.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
mdmkay said:
I'm finding that "well, it can't get much worse than this" mentality just sets you up for alot of false bottoms to fall out from under you.

Have you learned nothing from Charlie Brown? Whenever he was hanging upside-down from a tree by his kite-string and announced something like, "Well, it can't get any worse than this," it would start raining.

Now. First off, look at my post count. Am I annoying? I post a lot more than you have. So if you're worried that you're posting too much, then I must be really pathetic. ;)

Second, I think you're dead on when you say that rejection stings more when you have "real life stuff" going on. Some days it can feel like the whole world is conspiring to make you miserable.

Luckily, there are other days. I'm hoping you have one heck of an other day coming up soon!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
The fact that you post in the Share Your Work section says something. You're willing to post your work for critiquing and/or helping others with their work. That's commendable. I have to saunter on over there more often.

And Jenna's right--there are other days when things will be better. I keep telling myself that, too.

Here's a virtual chocolate chip cookie to you, warm from the oven. (That's in addition to aq's chocolate. Can't have too much of that!)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Lol... I was just going to say the same thing, Jill! "This too shall pass.."

Rejection does indeed suck, but use it as a motivator, a kick in the azz. Be stubborn, don't let it defeat you. I always just push harder and let them bounce off me. I refuse to let them discourage me. You're probably thinking, "Easier said than done.."

I'm just way too stubborn to let them get me down, or hold me back. Do the same, just toughen up and kick those rejections in the rear by moving forward, stay strong and don't give up. If you want something bad enough, you'll get it.

And Gawd! Look at my posts! Talk about posting too much...:eek:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a hug for you: :Hug2:

Do you post too often? I think not. Look at my post count. Sometimes I do more chatting than writing. The fact that you are posting your work means you are writing! And that's what counts the most.

I hate rejections too, but here is something I've found. The more pieces I mail out, the more queries, the more emails, the better my chances become. Then when one comes back rejected I just think, Oh well, I've got other stuff out there.

If I haven't read your work yet, I'll try to get over there and read it. Stay positive!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hang in there. Nope--you don't post too much, if it isn't interrupting your writing.

Writing is hard. It's solitary, sometimes tedious, and almost always frustrating trying to get the words on paper to reflect the version inside your own head.

Don't be too discouraged--just sigh, be good to yourself, and write some more.

On the bright side, if you aren't getting rejections, then you aren't submitting. :) So you're already doing something right, eh? Send it to the next market on your list and write something new.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What everyone said. I know it's hard, but keep telling yourself it was only that one specific piece of writing they rejected, not you personally. Maybe they were having a worse day than Charlie Brown and they hated everything they saw regardless of its quality.

Keep plugging away, it's the only way to get there.
EmoteHug2.gif

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
Have some of my virtual chocolate! I hope things get better!

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
One way I've learned not to take rejections personally, is to "grade" them by creativity. Boy, would I love to mail back some of my critiques! But of course, I don't do that. It is fun, however, to play that game and imagine what that particular rejection editor might think of my comments or grade. I do get some very highly informative and helpful rejections at times, and I utilize the knowledge accordingly.

LieselGarmach

Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
One less available market for submission.

For that piece, perhaps. In no way does a rejection mean, "Don't ever submit to us again!" unless it specifically says that your work is so horrible they never want to hear from you again.

And that is the sort of rejection I fear, so I have yet to submit.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn the tortillas, and full cheese ahead!
Okay, so my corny attempt at levity sank like whale poop.

C'mon, folks! Rejection is just another way of saying, "What else ya' got?"
Write, rewrite, polish and submit until Hell can't hold 'em all.

*salute*

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

blacbird said:
One less available market for submission.

Depends on how you mean this. One less for the rejected story, yes, but definitely keep sending other stories to that market. The Atlantic rejected Joyce Carol Oates something like fifty times before buying one of her stories.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
I truely hope that each and every one of you know just how wonderful you are. I was just having a bad day that day and I absolutly LOVE IT HERE at AW. I am taking the afternoon off today though and get some overdue painting done (that's what I get for having dual professions) before my art board thinks I've crawled under some bush somewhere and died. I LOVE YOU ALL.

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
Take it easy on the chocolate........

Believe me, MDMCKay,
I know.

Since its health benefits were broadcast recently, all shame has left me. I am buying the most cost effective bags of chocolate chips now. "Real Semi-Sweet Dark Chocolate," the packages declare.

"Another bake sale! Ugh," I feel obligated to lie to the checker. I've found there's a need to buy "bath tissue" at the same time! Have to dry off some way. No?
Kreemed

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone. - Freud

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
I am so going to BRAG...... I got 3 paints done yesterday and two of them actually turned out. Wouldn't ya know the first one I did sucked badly but it might make a good background who knows...that's the great thing about painting.......ya mess up ya paint over it. I'm so proud of the eagle I painted that I have to brag and tell anyone if they want to see it you can go to www.artwanted.com/mdmkay and the 2 paintings I did yesterday (the eagle and the iris's are on the top of my portfolio) feel free to comment but be nice about the eagle cause I really wasn't sure if I could do it or not. (You'll know what I mean when you see it.) I can't believe how much I've gotten done in the last 2 days.......I've revised, studied, revised, written 3 bites, and 5 new pages, then revised some more. Its been a heck of along time since I've gotten this much done in such a short time (I even got some house work done......that coffee was better than I thought...........hmmmmmmm).

Status
Not open for further replies.