Play 'Disaster Movie' with me.

MetalDog

Woof!
Registered
Reaction score
This is a game I started on another forum, but I thought you folks might have fun with it too.

I've spent the last week or so sitting in front of my PC when I get home just restlessly firing things up and shutting them down again. Things in the back of the head are brewing and bubbling, but nothing's matured enough to flop onto the page just yet in this current batch.

So, I decided I needed a writing project I can work on while I'm fermenting. I watched an awesomely predictable disaster movie (I love disaster movies) called Cassandra's Crossing on Saturday and decided that I wanted to write something that could be just as predictable and as badly written as I pleased, full of cheesy characters and cheesier dialogue and as many cliches as I can get my hands on. So, after a brief discussion about potential disasters, floods, lava, etc - I decided that if you put those together you get STEAM and that's going to be the name of my just-for-fun disaster epic, set on a steam-powered space ship. I'm not trying to write Airplane style comedy here - like all good ham and cheese I want it to take itself seriously internally.

I've already decided it needs:
A Cute Kid(s)
A Nun/Priest
The couple - one of which is a whiney twat, which the spouse will suffer patiently until snapping mid-disaster.
The Coward Who Comes Good (fatally, probably)
A Corporate Tool who will end up 'in charge' after the Captain's untimely demise and do all the wrong things.
A salt-of-the-earth engineer who will seem like a git at first, but who will turn out to be hiding his soft-hearted goodness under a rugged veneer. He will of course suggest lots of good things to do and warn about the bad things and be roundly ignored/dismissed until he saves the day.
The Love Interest for the salt-of-the-earth engineer. She will start off disliking him.
The Cute Animal which may be in peril from time to time, but cannot be really harmed (much like the cute kid(s)).

So - who's up for playing disaster movie with me? Who's going to be in yours and what is the disaster going to be? Stealing is encouraged. No pressure to show others your work, finish the thing or be good at it in any fashion - it's pure '**** the rules of good writing' fun.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
There's a huge bridge between Southwick tunnel and Brighton (England) that I call The Cassandra crossing. :D

As disaster films go, I quite like this one.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
You'll need a Black guy. We know already that he's gonna get killed in the last third of the film, probably doing something heroic.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
You'll need a Black guy. We know already that he's gonna get killed in the last third of the film, probably doing something heroic.
In which case, you should probably dress him in a red shirt. :D

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's always good to have an old person--or an old couple--who have reached their golden years and were expecting to crown them with this wonderful trip, and who now realize that this is the end. One of these antiques rises to the occasion, does something heroic, dies in the attempt but saves others.

Many aging stars will compete for such a role.

:ROFL:

MetalDog

Woof!
Registered
Reaction score
I reckon I could combine, 'aging couple' and 'one more week to retirement' for a double whammy!