Writing Contests

Status
Not open for further replies.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I entered a writing contest (first one I"ve ever entered). I had a small childish hope that I might place somewhere on the top 100 within the genre that I entered (I didn't), but it wasn't too huge and I didn't expect much out of it other than the enjoyment of the writing.

One curiosity I did have, though, was how the winning entry compared to what I wrote (guilty masochistic pleasure of sorts).

Well here is the winning entry:

http://writersdigest.com/article/themistressofwholesome

and my reaction?

THAT is what won out of 17,000 entries?

lol

I'm trying to convince myself that that reaction is not out of jealousy (maybe in part, I dunno), but it's pretty much uncomparable to what I wrote anyway.

Looking at that as a stand alone entry that I don't compare to myself? I seriously couldn't finish it because I was so bored by it. I really expected something better than that (I read the previous year's winner and it was excellent, btw, so I'm not picking on this one in particular).

Anyway, enough about that and onto the discussion. What do you guys think of writing contests? Are they a waste of time/money when you could be out looking for writing assignments instead? Or do you think there is something about them there to offer a writer that seeking paid work can't do? Let's hear your thoughts.

BTW, I'll probably enter again this year, because it was fun to do. :D

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
No, you're right. That's crap. I think it's supposed to be funny or something. or something. I can't say if yours is better, not having read it, but i feel sorry for any actress trying to say those lines. It reads like a really bad play written in the 30's. Not one realistic line of dialogue in the whole thing.

Mathematically i think we can eliminate 80% of the 17,000 entries as being so bad they aren't worth the paper it's written on based on what agents say they get in the slush pile, maybe even more, considering that some people will enter contests before they think they are "ready" to publish, as a practice of some sort. Which still makes the winning entry dishearteningly bad.

No I don't enter contests. I just don't. I don't see the point of them, unless it's the Booker or the Giller or something. But all those little contests magazines and stuff have? Bah. Not for me.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say if yours is better, not having read it,

Well, if you're interested, I decided to post it in SYW:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3164031#post3164031

Mathematically i think we can eliminate 80% of the 17,000 entries as being so bad they aren't worth the paper it's written on based on what agents say they get in the slush pile, maybe even more, considering that some people will enter contests before they think they are "ready" to publish, as a practice of some sort. Which still makes the winning entry dishearteningly bad.

Yeah, I would hate to be an agent, publisher, reader of these contests. I figure some of these entries are just dishearteningly painful to read. lol Hell, maybe mine is too. :tongue

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
OMG HOW CAN YOU MAKE ME READ THAT???? MY EYES, MY EYES. lmao sorry, couldnt resist.

Can't really compare because what won was a play and yours, well, isn't. Did they have different categories. I don't understand how a play and your piece could be compared.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
OMG HOW CAN YOU MAKE ME READ THAT???? MY EYES, MY EYES. lmao sorry, couldnt resist.

lol I didn't see you needed 3-D goggles? Damn. :tongue

Can't really compare because what won was a play and yours, well, isn't. Did they have different categories. I don't understand how a play and your piece could be compared.

Yeah, that's what made it tough for me. I wanted something that I could compare mine too. :tongue

But yeah, they had like 7 different categories.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I no longer enter contest because I think the winners must be submitting their stories with hundred dollar bills attached or something. I've subscribed to "The Writer" magazine for years and decided not to renew based on the winner of their mystery short story contest. I figured if they thought that was the best around - I could no longer learn much from them. Ready? Here's the first sentence of the winning story:

"It WAS a rainy afternoon and I WAS looking forward to the weekend."

When I think of the 3,298 writing teachers I've had (okay, maybe not quite that many) who told me over and over - DO NOT USE WAS! I could scream. I did scream actually - then I cancelled my subscription.

Carlene

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
"It WAS a rainy afternoon and I WAS looking forward to the weekend."

When I think of the 3,298 writing teachers I've had (okay, maybe not quite that many) who told me over and over - DO NOT USE WAS! I could scream.

OK that's a pretty bland sentence. But, but NEVER use was? Never? Never say never.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I've entered some in the past, and almost certainly will do again. I don't regard them as a waste of time or money. Of the three in which I placed I received £25, £50 and £150, which is far more than I've paid out. But do make sure you don't get caught in a scam, do your homework and make sure the contests are legit. Some, perhaps many, of the entries submitted will practically rule themselves out in some way or another, perhaps by not following the contest rules, by being poorly written or presented, or by being dull. Understand that choosing a winner is a subjective judgement.

If you don't place, you can still sub the story to another competition if it's suitable, or send it out to mags, as long as it hasn't been published somewhere.

Cheers,
Rob

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The last contest I entered cost me $5 (no hidden $100 bill in my entry) and I won $300. They're not all fixed and not all of them are scams. You have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL...but some of them are real. I have looked at this particular contest a few times but never once liked the entries that won. I decided they either pick randomly, arbitrarily or the entry that seems the most off-the-wall and off the beaten path.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
When I think of the 3,298 writing teachers I've had (okay, maybe not quite that many) who told me over and over - DO NOT USE WAS! I could scream. I did scream actually - then I cancelled my subscription.

Carlene

Sigh. There is nothing wrong with the past tense of "to be." Perhaps these "teachers" were warning against overuse of the passive voice. I am weary, and I don't know.

That play frightened me.

Status
Not open for further replies.