I'm not allowed anymore coffee, tea, wine or caffeine!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like my brain is following behind me like a ball and chain.

Tannin is killing me! I have a pretty severe problem with my iron and tannin is an iron blocker. I almost drank by blood dry. I became breathless and so weak I couldn't walk to the car and back. I, hating to go to the doctor at all costs, layed in bed for a few days until my blood level went back up. The muscle fatigue I have is incredible and my brain is so foggy.

Coffee was my pep, my good mood and inspiration. Now the caffeine and the tannin is together makes me weak, fatigued and really hungry. If I don't eat when I get the signal I almost pass out from the coffee. Now that I'm off of it I find I get severely light headed when I'm hungry even without the coffee. I wonder if I have hypoglycemia?

I'm waiting for my blood test to come back to find out if I need to bump up my iron but in the mean time all I want to do is sleep. I can hardly walk from point a to point b and I can't stand very long or hold things in my arms. It's terrible.

So what else is there for me to drink that could inspire me like coffee did? I haven't a clue.

Tell me what's worked for you!

Thanks!

Terri

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Withdraw passes. Hang in there. Herbal tea might soothe you (not decaf, but caffeine free)

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Can you drink herbal tea? Peppermint tea always picks me up. I also make hot cocoa sometimes.

Good luck!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I didn't know coffee had tannin. I thought just tea did.

And once you stop ingesting caffeine, your body will adjust and you'll find you don't need it to feel peppy. Because the reason you needed the caffeine was to get over the morning withdrawal of not HAVING the coffee. It's a vicious cycle.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Why not just spend more time indoors if tannin' is killing you?

*rimshot*

Thank you. You're a beautiful audience.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, if I can have caffeine for pep, I go straight for the ginseng. Tastes nasty, but it hits me better than caffeine--and doesn't keep me up at night.

Check for the tannin problem, though. I don't know if ginseng has 'em or not.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

And once you stop ingesting caffeine, your body will adjust and you'll find you don't need it to feel peppy. Because the reason you needed the caffeine was to get over the morning withdrawal of not HAVING the coffee. It's a vicious cycle.

I think I read somewhere it did. I get the same effect form both coffee and black tea. Extreme hunger and weakness. But I drank mostly coffee. Maybe I'm wrong. I miss my morning coffee. Perhaps I won't feel need it when I correct my iron. I haven't had coffee for a couple of weeks except for a couple when I just couldn't hang anymore and it was closer to evening when I knew my blood sugar was up to normal. The headache withdrawl was terrible.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score

Most addictions usually are.

You've been using caffeine as a crutch to lift you up, and now that it's gone you're teetering around, but don't worry. The more you walk on it, the stronger it'll get.

This is a good thing for you. A few days of pain for a lifetime of feeling much better and being healthier.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excedrin used in moderation helps with caffeine withdrawal because it has a small amount of caffeine in it. Most people I know have been able to totally kick caffeine in a week using it, and then taper off Excedrin within another few days.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, if I can have caffeine for pep, I go straight for the ginseng. Tastes nasty, but it hits me better than caffeine--and doesn't keep me up at night.

Check for the tannin problem, though. I don't know if ginseng has 'em or not.

That stuff is nasty. I'll try it in my peppermint tea.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most addictions usually are.

You've been using caffeine as a crutch to lift you up, and now that it's gone you're teetering around, but don't worry. The more you walk on it, the stronger it'll get.

This is a good thing for you. A few days of pain for a lifetime of feeling much better and being healthier.

I'm over it already. I just can't get my butt off the ground.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
The most interesting thing about this thread (and other threads like it I've seen in the past) is that everybody talks about the things they do to fend of sleepiness, but nobody ever stops to ask this question:

Why am I tired in the first place?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is nasty tasting--but that'll wake you up fast too. LOL! It also works in smaller amounts than caffeine (1 small vial of ginseng=10 hrs of pep).

Really!? Is it expensive in vials? I could probably go to my local farmer's market and find some in a juice? I've only ever had it in an energy drink. YUCK!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've also heard that eating a red delicious apple will wake you up better than caffeine. I usually eat one in the afternoons when i start to slump at work. Seems to work for me, and no caffeine!

Because of the crunching or because something's in there that will wake you up.

I suppose it's healthier than ice or chips.

Reaction score
Do herbal teas contain tannin? And what's the use if it's not waking me up.

Thanks though, I didn't know there was a difference between the two.

You might find it's caffeine that's keeping you up later, or more awake than you should be late at night. Once this passes, you'll sleep more soundly and won't need the caffeine in the morning to wake you up. It's an artificial high anyway, and the effects don't last if you have a sleep debt.

Says me, who's totally addicted to Assam teabags.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might find it's caffeine that's keeping you up later, or more awake than you should be late at night. Once this passes, you'll sleep more soundly and won't need the caffeine in the morning to wake you up. It's an artificial high anyway, and the effects don't last if you have a sleep debt.

Says me, who's totally addicted to Assam teabags.

I can have a cup of coffee and an hour later sleep like a rock.

:Shrug:

going to go smell the coffee container...