Using your cellphone or iPod as an ebook reader. It's actually possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I think more people might see this post here than in the tech forum, so I posted it here.

I wanted to be able to read an ebook during breaks at work (without buying a Kindle just for Noah Lukeman's How to Write a Great Query Letter ebook). My wife gave me a new Nokia XpressMusic cellphone for Christmas. I don't have any music on it yet, but I do know you can look at pictures on it.

I searched on the web for a way to read an ebook on a cellphone and found this page which details an ebook to Image converter program. It converts a pdf ebook into a series of small, readable image shots of pages that you can copy onto your cellphone.

I selected "jpg" as the output and a 14 point text with a black letters on white screen.

The converter program works great (and is freeware, as far as I can tell) and the output files consist of file folders, each containing 100 jpg images of "pages" from Lukeman's book, each fits my little screen and is about 60K in size each. (Number five folder contained the last 26 pages.)

Plugging my phone into the computer lets me see the phone as a drive. One folder is "images" so I uploaded two folders into that one. I don't have enough memory to hold all five folders, but I can maybe read one folder during one day's breaktimes.

Each page displayed as a jpg image on my screen. I can advance to the next page by hitting the down button on the keypad. How cool is this? :) The text size at 14 points is just the right size to read and doesn't hurt my eyes.

You could do this with any pdf ebook using that program.

Meanwhile, on an iPod, you could do the same thing if your iPod will display pictures. My third-generation iPod cannot. You can also view txt ebooks on your iPod using its "Notes" utility.

Thought I'd share this latest discovery on using your cellphone for other things besides making phone calls. Save money on a Kindle, use your phone to read books!

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had a few ebooks, and copy/pasted them onto my email so I can read them.

I also have an mp3 player that can play audio books, which is good. :)

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Cool workaround, but it gives me eyestrain just thinking about it. (rubbing eyes).

If given the choice between reading it on an iPhone or listening to it on an iPhone, I'd still rather go with an audio book.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I have a Treo (Palm.) I have installed Mobipocket eReader on it. Now I am never without several novels for my reading pleasure.

Mobipocket lets me register 3 devices to read my books on. So my PC, my phone, and soon my HP Mini netbook.

I love reading on my cellphone. I can hold it in one hand and turn "pages" with the press of my thumb. It lights up, so I can read in the dark. And I never get stuck without reading material.

I'll never go away from paper books completely, but I'm enjoying reading on my cellphone, too.

Susan G.

Deleted member 42

For the iPhone, and iPod touch, I heartily recommend both Stanza, and eReader. Both are free, and available for platforms other than the iPhone.

There's a wide range of books, and newspapers, to read. Stanza used with Feedbooks is astonishing. Do note the custom options for .pdfs in feedbooks.

And the iPhone is lovely for reading; honest!

meriel

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Palm Treo too. I can download books from my library to read on it. If you live in a small town, it's worth getting a card in the main city of your state, to be able to download e-books. Most libraries use Mobipocket and Adobe.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Audibooks are also hellish expensive compared to ebooks. But even with the iphone I find the screen too small for immersive reading.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I have a Palm Treo too. I can download books from my library to read on it. If you live in a small town, it's worth getting a card in the main city of your state, to be able to download e-books. Most libraries use Mobipocket and Adobe.

Meriel, I didn't know this! I will check this out, for sure.

Thanks for the info.

Susan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.