I need some kind of Anti-Virus or Anti-spy

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I really need some help. My Norton will expire in two days, but my mom is broke. And my computer has been acting weird lately. Everytime it starts up, it instantly crashes, forcing me to restart the computer. I know a virus or some sort of spyware is involved. I scanned with Spybot and Avira and they detected NOTHING. I need something that can scan faster, and detect malware more accurately. I tried my other ones, which they found nothing.

Do you know of any good ones? I need to find them quickly before my computer crashes.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! I forgot about AVG.

Thanks Derek!

Does Spyware Doctor also detect viruses too? Just in case.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Heh, I was just Googling for the Norton removal tool...

Spyware Doctor detects and removes tracking cookies and occasionally finds and quarantines malware. It does regular daily scans, whereas AVG is constantly running.

-Derek

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Blue, when you make the change, make sure you run the Norton removal tool.

Norton/symantec are pretty bad about leaving program processes in your machine.
I'm thinking there are a lot of programs are like that, though that one may be more notorious than other anti-malware scanners. With things like HP printers, you have to turn several pieces of such crapola off to prevent popups telling you driver updates are available (why? this driver WORKS), and that you're out of ink and you can click here to order HP ink cartridges online.

And if the Norton thing doesn't continue to run in the background after it expires, how else can it tell you "WARNING! WILL ROBINSON! Your Computer now DOES NOT HAVE virus protection! Click Here Now to reinstate virus protection!"

Heh, I was just Googling for the Norton removal tool...

Spyware Doctor detects and removes tracking cookies and occasionally finds and quarantines malware. It does regular daily scans, whereas AVG is constantly running.

-Derek
And there are costs/benefits to each. Constantly running means it takes up RAM and CPU cycles, making your computer run slower, but then it scans every email, attachment and webpage you go to as it's received by the computer (this real-time scan is what really slows down things), and it will stop any virus it detects from running on your computer (allegedly) before it can do any harm. Regular scans just tell you if you've picked up anything since the last scan. If a scanner finds a virus, that doesn't necessarily mean it is RUNNING on your computer, it might only be in an email attachment file that you (or Outlook Depressed - :rant:) haven't yet opened (some file types get opened automagically by some email programs, ahem. I recall about ten years ago was the end of the truism that "You can't get a virus just by reading an email, you have to click on an attachment." And then there's HTML email and webbugs and such).
Trendmicro is free and you can use the online version.
I was about to give a link:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
And there are costs/benefits to each. Constantly running means it takes up RAM and CPU cycles, making your computer run slower, but then it scans every email, attachment and webpage you go to as it's received by the computer (this real-time scan is what really slows down things), and it will stop any virus it detects from running on your computer (allegedly) before it can do any harm.
True dat, but tough luck! That's the price we have to pay if we want protection! AVG doesn't seem very intrusive to me, I don't notice any "slowing down" (it is running, it catches stuff) and I'm not using a megafast superPC (1.6GHz laptop).

-Derek

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And if the Norton thing doesn't continue to run in the background after it expires, how else can it tell you "WARNING! WILL ROBINSON! Your Computer now DOES NOT HAVE virus protection! Click Here Now to reinstate virus protection!"

OMG. It's annoying. It tells me that I have x days left of my trial version, EVERY DAY. There's no option that says "Don't remind me again". The only options available are, "Renew now" and "Remind me later."

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
OMG. It's annoying. It tells me that I have x days left of my trial version, EVERY DAY. There's no option that says "Don't remind me again". The only options available are, "Renew now" and "Remind me later."

While Norton (gawd I hate saying that), sucks for many reasons. You can let it expire and it will still work. You will still get virus updates.

You won't get program updates. And it will remind you all the damn time that you need to either upgrade or renew your subscription.

But it still works.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
There are other causes of frequent crashes, including loosening of hardware connections by mysterious alien forces, and of course accumulated garbage files. I hope that you do some "grooming" chores now and then, cleaning up temporary files and defragging. CCleaner (Google it, my data is half in limbo yet) is a good tool for cleanups.

That said, I do all that good stuff, and I ended up in blackscreen country Friday night. With my pants down and egg on my face -- way behind on backups. Long story, but "I'm back with no data loss" is the short version. lol