Quoting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJWilkes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cjwilkes.com
How does it work when it comes to quoting someone else in your book... giving them the full credit and including them in some form of bibliography? In school it seems that is done all the time and accepted, but in real life is it done that way - and do we have to get permissions to do that?

It may seem like a silly questions, but I am in earnest :)

Thank you.

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
How you do it depends on the type of the book and probably the publisher too. Many publishers will use the Harvard system, some will use footnotes, some will include bibliographies, while others don't.

The thing to do while you're actually writing therefore (unless you already have a publisher, in which case follow their guidelines for referencing exactly) is to put the quote in and keep a fully detailed note of where it came from - i.e. person, book, book title, book publisher, published date, page number of book... everything you possibly can. Then, when it comes to publishing it, you can use the information in the way the publisher requests it.

Depending on the length of quote and the nature of the book, you may also need to get permission to use the quote. Again, if you already have a publisher, follow their guidelines exactly. If you don't, provided you have all the details, you should be able to seek permission when you get a publisher (following their guidelines), although you could always pre-empt that and seek permission now.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
I have never taken a quote at face value.
If the person who made the statement is still living I have tried to verify that the quote is correct. It is just the way I have worked. I have not needed a bibli for the published work that I have done in the bio arena but I have kept for the (my records) everything that is needed in case I was questioned.
You might try and play with the words and put the info needed within the body of the text. I have done this and it has worked out quite well.
good luck

CJWilkes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cjwilkes.com
Thanks... This is all good information and I appreciate it. Talking to Jaws today I found out about a great information book on this topic:

Getting Permission by Stim
www.nolo.com

I think I will look it up also. Never enough information :)

Status
Not open for further replies.