PDA

View Full Version : SCENE CONSTRUCT

citymouse
01-12-2009, 09:47 PM
I have a question, a situation actually. In my WIP both MCs spend long spells in solitude. The POV is 3rd person. Iíve never written scenes with such extended timelines where there is no interaction with others.

How do I go about constructing text without huge chunks of narrative? Internal dialog can go only so far and personally when I encounter it in other books my mind wanders.
Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input or as the say in Paris, mercy buttercups. :)
C

alleycat
01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
If nothing happens, why do you need the scenes at all? If very little happens, then you only need to say a certain amount of time passed and then this happened, or make it a brief scene.

Even if you want the MC to ponder for some time about some question and then come to a conclusion or answer, you can just say the character was alone and thinking about so-and-so for two hours before coming to realize he'd found the perfect solution, or couldn't find the answer. Then you could give that in intermal dialogue.

citymouse
01-12-2009, 10:45 PM
AC,Oh plenty happens but my MCs are alone in different locales.
My MCs are on a vision quest. They're alone with just their ritual, their thoughts, and of course the Great Spirit. BTW no drugs are involved in this. I'm familiar with vision quests but I never has to write extensively from a 3rd person POV. You see why I'm faced with long blocks of narrative.

Your second idea may be the one I'll go with. I just read a 540+ page novel by Steve Berry. It has sequential chapters that are just one or two paragraphs long. It's very similar to what you propose. Funny I hadn't thought of it before.
C

If nothing happens, why do you need the scenes at all? If very little happens, then you only need to say a certain amount of time passed and then this happened, or make it a brief scene.

Even if you want the MC to ponder for some time about some question and then come to a conclusion or answer, you can just say the character was alone and thinking about so-and-so for two hours before coming to realize he'd found the perfect solution, or couldn't find the answer. Then you could give that in intermal dialogue.