How much do you write at one time when you get inspired?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I just had one of those wonderful moments when my brain was filled with stuff to write. I think it's the beginning of a book, to be exact. I started off writing an article, but it took on a life of its own. I just finished 2,000 words in record time, and I can't stop brainstorming.

Sometimes when this happens, I go in fits and starts. I'll write a little, lose steam and then my muse will decide to take a coffee break. I don't think so this time. I can see this whole project from start to finish. I think it's time to stop and outline. Although I never outline when writing an article, I'm stopping to outline so I can take this further. I smell BOOK DEAL! Hahahaha! Wouldn't that be nice?

Reaction score
When I'm in the zone I can write 5-6,000 words without breaking a sweat. In a whole day? 10k.

At the moment I'm lucky to make 2,000.

But it's funny. The more I force myself to write, the easier it gets to find that zone. I've always said the muse only shows up when you show willing.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I was inspired. :(
I know that feeling--I was there for ages. At least two years.

When I'm in the zone I can write 5-6,000 words without breaking a sweat. In a whole day? 10k.

At the moment I'm lucky to make 2,000.

But it's funny. The more I force myself to write, the easier it gets to find that zone. I've always said the muse only shows up when you show willing.

I'm like that. When I make myself write, it's easier to find the zone. If my muse isn't there when I start, she eventually shows up to see what all the fuss is about. She's nosy like that. And then she starts giving me her two cents worth. She's pushy like that. :D

Reaction score
I believe you have to make the first move. Then the muse keeps you going. She's useless as a starter, perfect as a cheering squad. :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last time I was totally "in the flow", I wrote 40,000 words--good words--in a weekend and finished the novel I was working on at the time.

That was a LONG time ago, though. Hasn't happened since, though it would be really sweet if it could again.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when this happens, I go in fits and starts. I'll write a little, lose steam and then my muse will decide to take a coffee break. I don't think so this time. I can see this whole project from start to finish. I think it's time to stop and outline. Although I never outline when writing an article, I'm stopping to outline so I can take this further. I smell BOOK DEAL! Hahahaha! Wouldn't that be nice?

Seriously, this has happened to me a few times, but I let self-doubt seep in. I'm now forcing myself to write about an idea that won't leave me alone. I think the outline is a great way to go. And remember how you feel now if you ever begin to question whether or not it's a good idea. Good luck. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I believe you have to make the first move. Then the muse keeps you going. She's useless as a starter, perfect as a cheering squad. :)
Mine actually pokes me with a cattle prod. But I think she's as effected by the post-Holiday malaize and Seasonal Affective Disorder as I am.