PDA

View Full Version : Do You Guys Actually Like To Write? (Moved from Novels to Roundtable)

Mr. Anonymous
01-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Now, I know this sounds like a pretty dumb question...of an aspiring writer...to ask his fellow writers...

But the reason for my asking is that quite simply, I don't. Not really. To be perfectly honest, I feel sort of, indifferent about the writing process. I don't dislike it. But I don't particularly enjoy it, or find it bundles of fun.

I view it, in a very real way, as work. As a means to an end.

One of my favorite authors once said something to the extent of, "I like writing when it's going well, but I love having written."

And I think I can empathize with that stance quite a bit. I see writing as an evolution of oral storytelling, and in my opinion, storytelling, whether captured by a blank page or the still air, is about both the actual story, and the audience hearing/reading and reacting to it.

Soooo.

I DO love to read over a final product and think to myself, "this is good. I like this." I DO love to have people read my work and tell me they enjoyed it, or got something out of it. But the actual process of writing, I'm sort of ambivalent towards. For me, it's just something you gotta do.

So what about you guys? What do you think?

And now, I'll stop procrastinating and start working on my novel again. *sighs.*

Kathleen42
01-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I do actually like to write. It's frustrating and challenging, but I actually like doing it. I see it as work (it certainly feels like work) but it's work that is rewarding and that I enjoy.

I hate revising, though. Revising is something I only do as a means to an end.

rxvenomqueen
01-12-2009, 07:31 AM
I would enjoy writing more if I knew all the rules of grammar and how to use them. Yes, writing can be a chore, but I think what keeps me from throwing in the towel is the world I slip into when writing. It's my way of relaxing and gives me the chance to temporarily escape the madness of reality. Writing is therapy.

Claudia Gray
01-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Honestly, I love it. It's more fun when it's going well, but even when it's not, I'd rather be doing that than most other things.

JJohns
01-12-2009, 07:33 AM
I enjoy it when it's going well, but hate it when I'm in a rut. And right now I'm in a rut. I hate ruts.

blacbird
01-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Honestly, I love it. It's more fun when it's going well, but even when it's not, I'd rather be doing that than most other things.

Have you tasted Talisker?

The act of writing, to include editing, revising, etc., is enjoyable.

The "process" of trying to get any of that published is anathema. Completely obliterates any residual pleasure gained from the writing part. Is awful, awful, awful, with a capital AW.

caw

veinglory
01-12-2009, 07:41 AM
I like writing a lot. To finish a novel I have to sometimes write when I am not enjoying it. But if I never enjoyed it I am quite sure I would spend my time doing something more profitable.

Williebee
01-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Very little feels better, to me, than the "aha" moment of a plot twist, or the flavor of a well turned phrase.

Stunted
01-12-2009, 07:47 AM
I love it. Even when it's going shitily, I love it.

Monolith
01-12-2009, 07:47 AM
I love thinking about what I'm going to write, I hate what actually comes out.

emc07
01-12-2009, 07:48 AM
I love it, but I get distracted easily. Writing is a great release. Finishing a novel is not something I have done yet, so we'll see if I still like it then ;)

ccarver30
01-12-2009, 08:01 AM

This. It is one of THE only things in my life that gives me JOY.

popmuze
01-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Writing it total intoxication. It could be I'm just in love with the sound of my own words. Revision, as I've said elsewhere, is like coming home. Hours--days--go by in minutes. When the world intrudes I'm angry. I want to get back to the keyboard. I love writing, plots and stories are my downfall. I try to figure them out when I'm not writing, like when I'm asleep.
But, as Blacbird said, sending it out into the world is a different story. And here's a secret he does know, getting published doesn't help the anxiety much, just takes it to another level. It's one thing to be angry you're not published, it's another to be enraged when your books don't sell.

popmuze
01-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Writing it total intoxication. It could be I'm just in love with the sound of my own words. Revision, as I've said elsewhere, is like coming home. Hours--days--go by in minutes. When the world intrudes I'm angry. I want to get back to the keyboard. I love writing, plots and stories are my downfall. I try to figure them out when I'm not writing, like when I'm asleep.
But, as Blacbird said, sending it out into the world is a different story. And here's a secret he doesn't know, getting published isn't much better; it just takes the anxiety to another level. It's one thing to be angry you're not published, it's another to be enraged when your books don't sell or humiliated when some reviewer in Idaho thinks you got it all wrong.

Shweta
01-12-2009, 08:17 AM
It's often really frustrating, but the truth is I love writing even more than I love being an academic geek.

Right now, I admit, I love seeing the writing in print even more, possibly cause it's a new experience. But the first really nasty review might change that :D

ETA: Also, since this is general-writing, moving to the roundtable :)

Mad Queen
01-12-2009, 08:22 AM
One of my favorite authors once said something to the extent of, "I like writing when it's going well, but I love having written."
That was going to be my answer. Now I'm going to have to think about something else, damn it.

I like writing when I already know precisely what I'm going to write about. Then the writing goes well and even when the result isn't good, it still makes me thrilled. There's potential there. But I hate writing by the seat of my pants. My brain can't do two things at the same time. Either I write or I create a compelling story.

popmuze
01-12-2009, 08:46 AM
At the risk of repeating myself, why do I wind up with these double posts? Anyway, I like the new edit better.

Toothpaste
01-12-2009, 08:49 AM
I sometimes think I actively hate writing. It causes me pain, both psychologically and physically. I dread sitting down in the chair to start up again, and I hate the decision making that goes into the revision process. Once I get going though, it becomes a lot more tolerable, occasionally there are bouts of inspiration that send my fingers flying (but they are few and far between) and then when it is over, I feel amazing.

And so I see writing akin to going for a run. I really really want to do it. I know my body and soul will thank me for it. But if takes so much effort to actually get up and do it. And even as I am doing it, it hurts so much. Once and a while adrenaline kicks in, and then I could run forever, I feel free, but most of the time it is a slog until I make it to the end. And then I feel fantastic, and so proud of myself.

Still I wouldn't give up writing for the world. Even now, taking a hiatus from writing (which I sorely needed), ideas just keep flowing, new stories present themselves, and I feel slightly anxious.

Does that mean I like writing? I don't really know. But since I don't really have much choice in whether I do it or not, it doesn't really matter.

marie2
01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I would enjoy writing more if I knew all the rules of grammar and how to use them. Yes, writing can be a chore, but I think what keeps me from throwing in the towel is the world I slip into when writing. It's my way of relaxing and gives me the chance to temporarily escape the madness of reality. Writing is therapy.

I completely agree with this comment. It's like you climbed into my head and wrote down everything I thought. :)

DamaNegra
01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
I love having written stuff, but I hate the actual process of writing. Well, that's not entirely true. I love doing outlines.

Cassiopeia
01-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I never really thought about if I like it or not. It's been a part of my life for so long now that I can't imagine not doing it in one form or another.

I love self expression and writing is just...well to quote Colonel O'Neill.."It's what I do."

Lyra Jean
01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I love writing. I'm in total control. Unlike a lot of the rest of my life. It's a release for me. I enjoy doing it. It's the one activity I have where I don't feel like I need other people's approval.

Yeah, I have issues show me a writer that doesn't. :)

Zombiestare
01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I hate the process leading up to the writing... Sitting down in a chair, opening word, staring at the page for an hour hating myself....

But after I've started and the entire day has passed and its felt like 5 minutes and theres something decent on the screen, well, that feels good.

Until the next day when I try to edit it and start the whole process over again.

Writing is deliciously masochistic.

mscelina
01-12-2009, 10:34 AM
I neither love nor hate it. I just do it. I must do it. It's a compulsion and an addiction that I cannot deny. I look upon writing much the same way that I look at my fingers or my hair. It's a part of me that, if it were taken away, would change my perception of myself.

Is it a good thing? *shrug* I have no idea. All I know is that I love royalty checks.

Cassiopeia
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I hate the process leading up to the writing... Sitting down in a chair, opening word, staring at the page for an hour hating myself....

But after I've started and the entire day has passed and its felt like 5 minutes and theres something decent on the screen, well, that feels good.

Until the next day when I try to edit it and start the whole process over again.

Writing is deliciously masochistic.I don't get why you hate yourself.

Zombiestare
01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't get why you hate yourself.

Hating myself for not writing, but instead procrastinating by just staring at the screen and/or farking. If theres one thing my parents taught me, guilt is a great motivator.

Exir
01-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I love writing when I'm making up the story or writing the first draft.

I hate it when I'm tightening the prose and what not.

KTC
01-12-2009, 02:18 PM

This is my answer. Stolen right out from under my nose. (-;

thethinker42
01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
It really, really depends.

Today, I hated it. I was hellbent on actually DOING it, but I didn't feel like it. I wasn't feeling the story, I wasn't feeling...anything, really. I'm trying to learn to discipline myself and make myself write on the days when I don't feel like it. Those days are quite painful.

Other days, I love it It's fun. I mean, it's work...but I do enjoy it. I get into a groove, and I can kick out 10-12K words with half the effort it took me to do 2K today.

As for the act of revising (as opposed to the result)...I hate it. I'd rather remove my own spleen without anesthesia and then eat it.

nevada
01-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Right now, I hate writing. Have hated it for over a year which is why I haven't done it. I seriously don't need to feel that kind of loathing. But then every once in a while, like tonight, I will actually write something (Sunday night Flash Fiction challenge, 9pm EST get a prompt and have 90 minutes to write a story, come on try it you'll like it, in the AW chatroom) and it won't be crap and it is easy to write and I enjoy it. Which leaves me with the sneaking suspicion that if i stopped whining and complaining and feeling sorry for myself and actually wrote something, it might not be as bad as all that. I might actually enjoy it. It might actually *gasp* feel good and give me great satisfaction. I'm thinking about testing that theory.

Cassiopeia
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Right now, I hate writing. Have hated it for over a year which is why I haven't done it. I seriously don't need to feel that kind of loathing. But then every once in a while, like tonight, I will actually write something (Sunday night Flash Fiction challenge, 9pm EST get a prompt and have 90 minutes to write a story, come on try it you'll like it, in the AW chatroom) and it won't be crap and it is easy to write and I enjoy it. Which leaves me with the sneaking suspicion that if i stopped whining and complaining and feeling sorry for myself and actually wrote something, it might not be as bad as all that. I might actually enjoy it. It might actually *gasp* feel good and give me great satisfaction. I'm thinking about testing that theory.

woohooo! There's hope I'll get the rest of that story then. :)

OctoberRain
01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah. I like it. Even on days when I hate it, I like it.

nevada
01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
woohooo! There's hope I'll get the rest of that story then. :)

Okay missy thats it. you've just elected yourself as one of my beta-readers. so there, how do you like them apples. :P

thethinker42
01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah. I like it. Even on days when I hate it, I like it.

Good point.

Some days, I do not enjoy the process, but I remind myself that the alternative is sitting under fluorescent lights in a cubicle and making someone else rich. I'm doing this full-time - even when I hate it, I love it.

StevenJ
01-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I always wanted to be a musician, so writing is second-best for me. That said, when the writing is going well, it's an incredible feeling & I wouldn't exchange it for anything.

Cassiopeia
01-12-2009, 03:14 PM
I've never hated writing. Even editing isn't bad for me. I just wish I was better at the editing process.

But practice makes perfect, right?

Right...thought so. ;)

scarletpeaches
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM

Seconded.

I wrote through the blahs last night, nearly 2k words, and looking over it, it's really not that bad.

Writing is the most fun I can have on my own.

Well...

James81
01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
I love to write most of the time. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't do it.

Bubastes
01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I enjoy the whole writing process, from first draft to submission. I like revising the most because it's fun to push words around and see what happens. Sometimes I think I write first drafts just so I have something to play with in revisions. Even submitting is fun (call me weird, but I really love tough challenges). I spend far too many of my waking hours doing stuff I hate (i.e., in thethinker42's words, sitting under fluorescent lights making someone else rich), so if I didn't love writing I wouldn't bother with it.

ETA: Also, I love writing fiction because I'm incurably nosy, and fiction allows me to ask my characters all sorts of rude questions that I could never ask in real life. Writing fiction lets me be a gossipmonger with no negative social repercussions. How fun!

Mr Flibble
01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Even when it's frustrating I love it. I love the way I find out about my characters, I love the way I can be writing a scene and then things just appear, almost out of nowhere to take the story in a new direction. I love the way I find out about myself by the action of writing.

Apparently I am now hell to watch films with though. I make up backstories for everyone...

DaddyCat
01-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Most of the time I like writing, but even when I don't it's better than a blank page or screen. To not have written is the worst thing.

rhymegirl
01-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I think my most honest answer is sometimes I like to write.

When I have a great idea, something I'm excited about, then I like to write. When I feel truly inspired, then I like to write.

But when I'm writing a piece (say a newspaper article) that I HAVE to write, and there's a deadline, and I am not thrilled about the subject matter, then no, at those times I do not especially like to write. At those times it feels like a chore, more than anything else.

It is similar to something my brother-in-law once said. When asked why he doesn't work on cars for a living (something he's good at), he said, "Because then it wouldn't be any fun." He likes tinkering on cars as a pleasant past-time.

Pamster
01-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I love writing, editing isn't as fun, but rereading what I've written I usually end up finding a way to improve upon it so I like that toa degree. The only part I hate is writing queries...OMG I would rather go to the dentist then write a query! :eek:

ChaosTitan
01-12-2009, 07:25 PM
If I didn't love everything about it, I'd have given up a long time ago. I enjoy exploring the lives of my characters and seeing just how far I can take a story. I enjoy revision, because it's about making the finished product the best it can possibly be.

I hope this doesn't come across as snarky, because it isn't meant that way, but it truly boggles me--if you* don't like writing, why keep at it? Just stop. Step back for a while, or quit entirely. It's like saying "I don't like painting," then you keep slapping paint on a canvas day after day. Find something you do like, heck, even love.

*general "you," not any you in particular

Sneaky Devil
01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
i absolutely love to write but i absolutely loath it when what i write turns out to be...well, not so good
just keep that nose to the grindstone... yada, yada, blah, blah, blah :D

tehuti88
01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I myself love to write. I have to, otherwise I'd have to reason to, since 1. I'm not trying to get published and 2. I can't seem to keep readers for long, and this has caused me much heartache and frustration. :( It'd be self-torture if I didn't like doing it.

I do try to connect to people and entertain and make friends with my writing, but I still have to love doing it because I haven't succeeded in this so far. So yes, I do actually like to write. I'd find it bizarre and pointless to continue writing if I didn't love it.

zanizh
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Have you tasted Talisker?

The "process" of trying to get any of that published is anathema. Completely obliterates any residual pleasure gained from the writing part. Is awful, awful, awful, with a capital AW.

caw

Exactly! You get rep points for this post! I absolutely adore writing and all the crap that goes with it. I'm getting the story out of my head and that's the most important part.

Trying to get represented and published sucks. I'll love the day when I can just write and do publicity stuff without researching agents and publishers all the friggin time!

Cranky
01-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I love writing. The tap, tap, tapping of the keys when I'm on a roll, the intense focus, the high I get that makes me laugh out loud when things are going so much better than I ever thought it would.

I love it when I hate it, too, because it lets me know that I give a damn about what I'm doing. If I didn't hate it anymore, I think it would be time to lay down my pen.

stormie
01-12-2009, 07:44 PM
I love writing. Most of the time. But there are moments--or even days--when I don't even want to think about it.

BooksAndChocolate
01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I enjoyed writing more when I didn't know what I was doing. LOL

I still love to write, as books and the written word has always been my passion. I don't enjoy the angst that writing brings, such as the "waiting," and the promotion once your book is published.

Kate Thornton
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
How could I not love the incredible high I get from pushing people around, making them do and say *exactly* what I want, and putting them in danger, doubt, love and hot water? How could I not love killing them, kissing them and finding out their secrets? How could I not love seeing them strong, helpless, naked or dressed to the nines?

How could I not love the power of writing, the knowledge that it is coming from me in a stream of words I can barely stop? How can I not love the opportunity of the Blue Screen of Death, empty as a zen cup, and as full of possibility as an open smile?

I am a painter, too - I find I must designate certain days to paint and others to write - and yet more to do nothing, a form of research my writer self and my painter self share with great success.

It is so much a part of my life, that even when it is a royal pain in the ass, it is still divine.

FOTSGreg
01-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Oh, hell, yesssss! Writing is a grand and glorious adventure of the mind that knows no boundaries. You essentially get to play God for a short time, creating characters, creating worlds, creating adventures and situations and themes that will never (or very, very rarely) occur in the real world.

What could be more exciting than seeing a story unfold on the page, seeing your characters come to life and going on some grand and dangerous adventure, watching them explore the boundaries of their own lives, and all within the confines of your own mind?

It wouldn't matter if there was no publishing industry I'd still write and tell stories. No doubt about it.

Mr. Anonymous
01-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Great responses guys! It's been fascinating to read what fellow writers have to say on the subject.

As for why write if you don't love it. Well, that's the thing, I guess. It's the destination that I like. It's the finished product, the full story, the completed chapter. It's the smile on a friend's face as he reads through. That, to me, makes the process worthwhile.

Soccer Mom
01-13-2009, 12:35 AM
I understand what you're saying Mr. A. The process isn't pleasurable to you, but you feel pride and accomplishment when you're finished. That is how I feel on those days when writing is a chore.

Ah, but those days when writing is bliss...

I hope you find those someday. They are wonderful.

Mythical Tiger
01-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I love writing:D. It's what lets me use my imagination and gets me away from family problems. Writing also gets me through a day of school. Which I must say is pretty impressive:tongue. I have gotten a lot of people intrested in writing something. It's hard to explain it, but writing is a big part of my life. It helps me relax and enjoy what life has to throw in my face and offer. If I didn't write or have any intrest in it, I would probaly be a very different person:(. Thankfully I am what I am and that's what makes life worth it.

Samantha's_Song
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
My thoughts exactly...

caw

beautiation
01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
When I'm writing well I'm too deeply absorbed to feel any enjoyment, but when I come out of it afrter a few hours and stretch it's the most wonderful feeling I know of.

When I'm writing badly I can barely stay at the pad, I just feel so mundane that I want to run out of the house and have a crazy experience to get me fired up again.

When I'm drunk it's very fun, though I'm not sure if what I come up with is literate enough to be called writing.

CKelly
01-16-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm glad this thread is here, it's nice to know that at least I'm not the only one who loves to write some days, and slogs through it on others.
But, in the end, it's all worth the effort.
CK

Sailor Kenshin
01-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Now, I know this sounds like a pretty dumb question...of an aspiring writer...to ask his fellow writers...

But the reason for my asking is that quite simply, I don't. Not really. To be perfectly honest, I feel sort of, indifferent about the writing process. I don't dislike it. But I don't particularly enjoy it, or find it bundles of fun.

And I think I can empathize with that stance quite a bit. I see writing as an evolution of oral storytelling, and in my opinion, storytelling, whether captured by a blank page or the still air, is about both the actual story, and the audience hearing/reading and reacting to it.

Soooo.

I DO love to read over a final product and think to myself, "this is good. I like this." I DO love to have people read my work and tell me they enjoyed it, or got something out of it. But the actual process of writing, I'm sort of ambivalent towards. For me, it's just something you gotta do.

*ponders*

Yeah. I like writing.

Unless I'm burnt out, of course.

StephanieRose
01-19-2009, 06:28 AM
I LOVE writing, but I HATE editing.

Editing and revising bring me face-to-face with my inadequacies and shortcomings (and most days I'd rather not deal with that).

But when a story's completely finished (and people love it), it's the greatest feeling in the world.

peachiemkey
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm the opposite of you, StephanieRose - I get burnt out so easily from writing a first draft, but going through and transforming a piece from mess to (relative) masterpiece gives me a writer's high like nothing else.

Mr. A, I definitely have depressive days. Actually, a couple days ago I was convinced that I was never going to be able to write anything good ever again and that I should just give it up forever. Talk about writer's block. Got over it, though! Still, I never do really enjoy writing the first draft - it varies to manageable to pulling teeth.

Danger Jane
01-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Absolutely. I can't describe how I feel about actually writing--it's almost like an absence of feeling, similar to how I feel about actually painting or actually drawing, and very different from how I feel about actually practicing a musical instrument, which is an emotion I can easily identify as positive, even if it is a have-to. But yes, I absolutely love to write.

Ganymede
01-19-2009, 09:37 AM
I actually don't like writing much at all. But I suspect a large part of that is that I set the bar pretty high -- so the sheer effort of all those drafts and the recursion is astronomically stressful. I'm one of those people who's worried about the minimum word count, not the maximum. I get through the process to achieve the end result. You guys who enjoy it are lucky. :)

burgy61
01-19-2009, 10:01 AM

This is exactly I how I feel about writing, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has trouble with the rules of grammar.

Calixus
01-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Soooo.

And now, I'll stop procrastinating and start working on my novel again. *sighs.*

Well, Mr. Anonymous

I love writing. But I do so a bit different than most I think. I write like other people read. It is weird, like someone else is writing instead of me and I get really into it, impatient to see what is going to happen. Yeah, maybe I am Schizo (at least I'm not paranoid). It can be really freaky when I am writing. It just flows out of nowhere and all I have to do is type the words I see in my mind. When I get into my zone, I can write 60 or more pages in a day, depending on how long my hands can go before they start to cramp. But anywho, back to your question. Yes I love the writing process and when it is completed.

Elidibus
01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I love writing. There is no better feeling than to connect with a character and have them take off on their own adventure, with me documenting what they are doing along the way. The sense of discovering what happens next is awesome, and finishing a story, wrapping up an adventure with fictional people I consider friends is a terrific feeling as well.

fullbookjacket
01-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I enjoy writing quite a bit (although I admit that some days I just can't bear the thought of starting, because it can be a chore if one is tired). I also enjoy the editing process, because I often cringe upon rereading my first draft.

Sailor Kenshin
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I LOVE writing, but I HATE editing.

Editing and revising bring me face-to-face with my inadequacies and shortcomings (and most days I'd rather not deal with that).

I must be mental. I enjoy editing, too.

HeronW
01-19-2009, 09:46 PM
I'd love having it go from my brain to the screen without the fretful fingers in the way. Sometimes there is a rhythm that the eyes and hands get into and then it's a physical joy.