Trying to Leave

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, :)

I've been thinking about this for awhile now, and I think I'm going to go through with it. I'm going to *try* to leave AW.

I use the word 'try' because as we all know, this forum is one of the most addictive writers' sites in the world. So I will *try* to leave, when I log off in another half-hour to an hour from now.

I don't think I've ever told anyone this, but for the last five years, ever since my days on the PAMB, I have had a crippling fear of being sued by other posters on forums for libel. I know this fear is highly irrational, but I nevertheless have suffered from it for half a decade.

On the PAMB, we used to talk all the time about how we were going to sue people for libel if they did not say what we wanted them to say about either our books, our publisher, or just about anything else. That intense libel-happy attitude got me to a point where I simply could not say what I really thought or felt, because I was terrified that someone from the boards would sue me for a mis-spoken word or phrase.

Sadly, that crippling fear carried over into my membership at AbsoluteWrite, as well as any other forum I belonged to over the years.

Anymore, the only forum I frequent is AbsoluteWrite. And even though my fear might be misplaced, I know I need to take care of it before I can come back to the forums again and be a regular poster. I have other reasons for leaving, too, but this one is the clincher for me. I can talk about how much posting on forums wastes time I should be using to write, but I've done that before and it didn't seem to do anything to help my resolve. Of course, I'm a different person now, and the changes of the last few weeks have made me stronger both in resolve and in purpose. But the fact I've never told anybody my five year fear, tells me it holds a much tighter grip over me than I ever realized before.

I'm probably going to be on the forums for maybe another half-hour, to take care of thread subscriptions, say my goodbyes, or whatever else I can think of. But I wanted to let you all know that the pure terror I feel at the very thought I might have offended someone through any post, has really taken its toll on my ability to write effectively, create effectively, or even read a novel with the same fervor I did before I came to the boards.

So I'm *trying* to get off AW. I hope I can leave these boards with some amount of perseverance. I *know* I can leave AW with a deep sense of gratitude to the people, past and present, who have helped me to grow out of a sense of pure despair when PA still had the rights to my book, and into a sense of greater independence and strength as a human being. I am thankful that though it was a royal airhead that guided me here, I still came when I realized what my so-called publisher really was.

I am glad to have learned from, conversed with, and made lasting friends of, a great many of the members of AbsoluteWrite. I do hope that someday I can come back with a renewed sense of freedom as I write each post. But in the meantime, I'm happy to have been a part of this, one of the best writing websites in the world.

I hope to see you all around the 'Net, or at the very least to see your books all over the bookstore shelves.
:)

--Sean

Reaction score
...I'm probably going to be on the forums for maybe another half-hour, to take care of thread subscriptions, say my goodbyes, or whatever else I can think of. But I wanted to let you all know that the pure terror I feel at the very thought I might have offended someone through any post, has really taken its toll on my ability to write effectively, create effectively, or even read a novel with the same fervor I did before I came to the boards...

Well I don't mind saying publicly that we've had our differences in the past and I'm glad we both came back to AW at round about the same time so we were able to solve them, and I for one will be very sad to see you go.

However, you do what you've got to do to be happy, and write effectively.

G-d bless you. ;)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I just want to add that I wish you the best of luck. You have a unique perspective. So finish up your books and get 'em on the stands so everyone can appreciate your outlooks in that way, which is what all of us, here, are essentially after.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, come on, it's like virtually impossible to stay away from AW. I think I once did it for a few months, accidentally.

I did it for several months, but that was before I discovered that there were more addictive places than the Never-Ending PublishAmerica Thread. For a while I never even browsed through Writing Novels, SF/F, Horror, or Office Party. Once I discovered them, it was hopeless.

Anyway, good luck trying to leave, Sean. If you're successful, you'll get a lot more writing done. I could get so much more writing done if it weren't for spending time on AW, but there's no way I could make myself leave at this point.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah yeah yeah, we've heard it all before. But Sean ain't going nowhere. Note how the thread title says, "Trying to leave?"

Nice try, Sean. But your "thirty minutes" are up, and since you're still here, the original post doesn't count!

We'll be here if you ever decide to leave again, though. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I know you left before, Sean...and I know that you seem to struggle deeply with your feelings and beliefs, etc. I hope you find some peace and swing by our way again when you are feeling more capable of coping. Happy writing.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
If you're successful, you'll get a lot more writing done. I could get so much more writing done if it weren't for spending time on AW, but there's no way I could make myself leave at this point.

If I left AW, the only thing that would get done more is work. And you know how much I hate work.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'd best get going...

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure, like I said before, if I'll ever fully get my fill of this place. But for now, I think I'll get going. I just finished changing a few things, deleted a bunch of subscriptions, and changed my signature ever so slightly.

Thank you all so very much for your kind words, and I wish you all the very best with your Craft. I will miss the lot of you. :)

Have a good week ahead, and I look forward to the day that I'm more comfortable with my words on forums. All the best to every last one of you.

--Sean

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Damn it! I thought for sure Sean was just teasing us.

I think he'll be back, but he might mean it for real this time...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Hey Sean,

Sweetie, I know you need to do what you need to do. Please consider that one does not overcome fear by avoidance. I want to encourage you to face your fears. Stay put. Right here, in the safety of your AW family. If there's one thing I know of for sure, you are not alone in your fears. There are many here who have gone through it and they are still here.

Please consider that sometimes you have to step into the void. Now, if being on AW keeps you from writing and because you let yourself procrastinate and be distracted, okay that's reasonable to limit your time here. The reason you stated in your opening post just says to me that you don't know how to face this or deal with it.

So let me offer this suggestion...when you feel that fear ask yourself the following questions:

1. Has anyone here sued you yet?
2. Has anyone threatened you here and are they worth paying attention to?
3. What is the likelyhood that they will?
4. Who are you that they would think your opinion matters so much that they would sue you for it? (that isn't meant to be demeaning but rather to point out, you have to be someone of considerable influence to be sued for what you say and have it stick)

Come on, Sean. You can do it. :) Stick around.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sean, you know how much I value having you around here. So I'm relieved that you're only *trying* to leave (only because I know it's futile; we've got you in our pesky little claws :D and will come after you if you stay away too long....Buahahahah!)

Anyway, get some good writing done, and r-e-l-a-x. You are much loved here, and what's more, you've no cause to worry over being sued for libel. Not only are you exceedingly polite, but you've not advertised that you are particularly rolling in cash (what writer is?), so would be a poor target at best. Nor would suing you be a favorable publicity stunt by any stretch of the imagination. So let that fear go.

Besides, there is nothing that can EVER happen to you, so big, so awful, that God in His greatness cannot work redemptively through in an even bigger way. Remember that; it's what finally released me from an anxious outlook.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Sean, you take care and I have a feeling you'll be back. Hope things work out well for you and I'll miss you, my friend. ((((((HUGS))))))