William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
so i guess as of next week, we'll be over the halfway hump of this grand experiment.

how's the experience been for you so far?

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm disspointed in the constant low number of 100 people voting every week. Not saying that everyone should care, but only 1/3 of the people who entered are voting.

The Justify Your Vote thread has been very informative. I wish more people would post their thoughts there.

What about you, William?

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, if you notice the numbers at the bottom of the Forum, I believe that's roughly the amount of hardcore, regularly participating members we have here.

If there were a way to contact every registered member and remind them about the contest and the Forum in general, like a Forum newsletter, that might help.

I would propose next time (assuming there is a next time) having a separate register process for the contest and have participants acknowledge that they will recieve updates on the contest periodically - and voting calls.

Some people registered just to enter and also sometimes life gets in the way and you forget those things that aren't directly in your face...

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Me, I'm really loving the contest. I enjoy reading everyone's work, and I love seeing how different authors tackle the same theme/assignment.

I've never been shy about posting on JUSTIFY YOUR VOTE exactly who I voted for, and why.

And I still think all ten original finalists deserve a huge round of applause for taking part in such a public, yet personal, contest.

:Clap:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
BlueTexas said:
...but only 1/3 of the people who entered are voting.
QUOTE]
Less than 1/3! I didn't enter the contest, but haven't missed a vote yet.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
BlueTexas said:
I'm disspointed in the constant low number of 100 people voting every week. Not saying that everyone should care, but only 1/3 of the people who entered are voting.
Less than that. I didn't enter, but I've been voting every week. I wonder how many of the other 100 didn't enter but are faithfully supporting the contest. (I just saw that Rose is another one!)

I've never been shy about posting on JUSTIFY YOUR VOTE exactly who I voted for, and why.
I don't like to say who I voted for while voting is still going on. Actually, I've never said who I voted for afterwards, either. I usually PM the author to let them know, though. Except I forgot to do so last week, unfortunately.

The Justify Your Vote thread has been very informative. I wish more people would post their thoughts there.
Again, I'm hesitant to do so while voting is going on, and I don't want to criticize specific stories publicly, which is why I only make general comments. For this week, I found that all of the stories followed the guidelines, which was good to see. One story was good but I couldn't vote for it because of the grammatical errors -- this has prevented me from voting for this author throughout the contest. A few stories I couldn't relate to. One story I found confusing in a specific way and that kept distracting me, otherwise I might have voted for it.

The story I voted for flowed well, was interesting, had good characterization, and I could relate to it, but I can't say why or I'll give away which story I voted for.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
Brinkett...

I totally understand why you're hesitant to say anything while voting is going on, or publicly even afterwards.

Which reminds me...PM's to the writers who recieved your vote are much appreciated...and I don't know about everyone else, but I'm open to PM's about why people didn't vote, too.

I think the reasons behind the votes are fascinating. Some people are voting purely on mechanics, some on style, voice, and like Brinkett said, whether or not they could relate to the story. That's the most interesting part of the contest to me--learning what resonates with readers who are also writers, the toughest critics of all.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the slow activity on the various threads (Justify your Vote, Chatter) isn't a reflection of an even lower voter turnout.

William, if you keep eating my brains, it will do me some serious damage in this contest (not to mention life)! I logged on specifically to start a thread along the lines of "Hello out there?"

skc

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hello er... VoteBot.

I admire your goal, but I think your mission would be better suited to certain threads. The TIO and Office Party threads, the Idol threads, the Novel thread etc. are where the entrants have made their presence known and the members who frequent these threads are probably amongst the staunchest of voters.

Make your voice heard in places like the Freelance threads or the Screenwritng threads or the Conference Room threads or if you're feeling particularly frisky - the (gasp!) PA-related threads. Even I don't dare swim in those murky waters, but you can't deny they have a consistent massive following.

Just some thoughts...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
What about you, William?

it's been an interesting experience, to say the least. the first five months of this year have been among the most tumultuous of my life, so it's been both a blessing and a curse in many ways.

i've enjoyed the camaraderie more than the competition.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
And when you guys publish anything (books, articles, etc.) you have a lot of built-in fans now....

I never thought about it that way...very neat!

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
Why yes, it is very true that ya'll will have some "preordanied" fans.

As for the contest, I'll admit that I have my favorites (they probally know who they are), but all of the entires have been rather interesting. Each week has given me some great escapes from my fledgeling freelance gigs, my so-called disseration, and overall nice escapism reads.

So cheer up folks. They were all good . . . if you don't believe me I'll PM you with the phone numbers of my friends. They all know how blunt and brutual I am, and they can all attest that when I don't like something I say it outright.

So . . .

:D