~Total rant~So I'm having fun...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
NOT!

Yeah so somewhere along the line despite having zonealarm on my pc and antivirus AND anti-spyware programs that I run often AND watching where I surf the net...my desktop got....

INFECTED. Oh sure, McAfee found the trojan and killed it. Spybot found the malware and killed it. But they deleted system files and so my OS wouldn't properly boot, it just kept going in circles.

So...

Guess how I'm spending my Saturday night. Lucky for me I have an old drive that runs for my back up and I installed windows on it and am retrieving my data from the C drive so i can then delete windows and do a fresh install but THIS is not how I wanted to spend my Saturday night.

I have NO idea where I got this from but this is what I get for giving away my hardware that I used for my linux stand alone firewall and counting on zone alarm to keep my computer safe.

I'm just going to say that all you peoples (assuming they bother to read AW) who write viruses just for the hell of it...can kiss my lily white BUTT.

yes, I know...this uncharacteristically of me but I'm really peeved. My life's work is on that PC. I'm glad I back up my work and can fix things but like I have enough to do without fixing problems because someone thinks it's great stuff to do malicious things like this.

So I say to those meanies out there who live to make our lives miserable just for the fun of it or even for the profit of it: A POX ON YOU! Oh and just so you know, you aren't bad people...you just do bad things.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sooooo...does that mean you're only cursing them with the chicken pox, then?

Cuz I'd opt for running sores, personally.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. That sounds like an appropriate punishment, for sure. :D

I hates those guys. Yes, I do, even though momma sez I shouldn't. They killed over 200k worth of my words this year. (We won't discuss my technofailures that allowed this to happen, though - BACKUP)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Well I thought they'd gotten 60,000 of mine plus all my papers I've written for my university studies along with all my photos for my business jewelry site but then I remembered that D Drive that is an old western digital drive. Tomorrow, I'm going to see if Costco is open and if it is, I'm buying an external drive to do all my writing and what not from. I am going to keep my files there.

I found a cool free AV software called Avast that is rating at the top of AVG and Antivir so it's checking the C drive. Who knows it may boot after that cleans it up but man this is a lot of work for no good reason and I have to sit and baby sit this for HOURS.

I guess I could ride my recumbent cycle while its doing it. I'd be in the same room.

ACK! now I feel guilty and have to work out.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those evil people...they made you feel guilty on top of it?! Eat a brownie instead, I say. You deserve it. :)

Hopefully, the stuff you bought will do the job, though. *hugs* I really do sympathize.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, here, then. Guilt-free, calorie-free double fudge brownies!

fudge_brownies.jpg

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Whining some more

but what kills me is what a waste of time this is. I can't even go watch my new High Def tv or play Call of Duty with my son because I have to keep watch on it and tell it what to do if it finds more stuff.

This is madness I tell you! madness!

I'm confined to my office and normally that would be fun but it's not when you HAVE TO!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They are pretty top-notch. :D

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just going to say that all you peoples (assuming they bother to read AW) who write viruses just for the hell of it...can kiss my lily white BUTT.

Sorry for the problems you're having, Cassi, but I was wondering where I could learn to write viruses. :D

I wish I could help you avoid this problem in the future, but I know as much about computers as I do about women - I can turn them on, browse a bit, get a little work done before it crashes, then pray for no viruses.

Okay, that was my MC talking. Me? I can still turn on a computer. :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the problems you're having, Cassi, but I was wondering where I could learn to write viruses. :D

I wish I could help you avoid this problem in the future, but I know as much about computers as I do about women - I can turn them on, browse a bit, get a little work done before it crashes, then pray for no viruses.

Okay, that was my MC talking. Me? I can still turn on a computer. :)
I have a mac laptop and trust me, if I had a job I'd be tempted to go with their desktop as well BUT, there are just somethings I like my PC for. So I'm going to confiscate BACK my pc I gave to a household member and I'm going to reinstall my linux firewall and that will put an end to this nonsense. :D

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a mac laptop and trust me, if I had a job I'd be tempted to go with their desktop as well BUT, there are just somethings I like my PC for. So I'm going to confiscate BACK my pc I gave to a household member and I'm going to reinstall my linux firewall and that will put an end to this nonsense. :D

Ah, something I can help you with. Let me know when the wall is up and I'll hang and float the sheetrock for ya.

Cassi, I'm glad you know how to fix the problem. I once paid a PC-Nerd 75 bucks to fix my monitor - the power supply cord had worked its way loose. But I watched him work for six seconds and I'm now an expert at plugging in power cords.

Good luck. :Hug2:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, something I can help you with. Let me know when the wall is up and I'll hang and float the sheetrock for ya.

Cassi, I'm glad you know how to fix the problem. I once paid a PC-Nerd 75 bucks to fix my monitor - the power supply cord had worked its way loose. But I watched him work for six seconds and I'm now an expert at plugging in power cords.

Good luck. :Hug2:
LOL...yeah the BF had taken his PC to a local computer store for a few problems and I had a hissy fit. Told him to go get it back. They were going to charge him $160 for something I fixed in 4 hours and I was doing lots of other things at the same time. He's sorted.

I'm just a bit annoyed because for the life of me, I don't know where that virus came from. I was doing some research today on Nelson Mandela and I think it was in a site where I looked because I got two pop ups and suddenly things started going nuts.

HEY! I have sound! Just installed my sound drivers! Next up the monitor drivers. Eish what a mission this is! I have only like ..oh a BAZILLION things to load tonight.

BUT ha ha! I saved my data.

Yes, I am the QUEEN of never say die. :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have been having problems with my computer following a virus attack which happened in JULY.

I've twice got everything clean and nice, following advice from online experts, reformatted my hard drive to make sure, reloaded EVERYTHING... only for it all to go haywire again.

I've never had a virus before. I'm really careful about not opening odd emails, and keeping antivirus software up to date and so on; and yet my computer has given me nightmares for months.

I feel for you, Cassiopeia. This is horrible. And viruses are so pointless: what are they for? What do they do? Why do people write them? Pah.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I say blast the damn thing with a double-barreled shotgun.

It will make you feel lots better, I guarantee it.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Well I've got everything but some of my software programs installed. I can't seem to get this driver for the monitor to load and I am pretty sure something is up because it won't scroll down a page without the the screen refreshing funny.

I'm so tired at this point I'm punch happy. I just might have to shoot this thing.