Laser Printers

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I only looked through the five most recent pages of threads before I posted this thread, so I do apologize if there is a page dealing with this subject before that.

I just finished printing up a manuscript on my inkjet all-in-one, and in the process I used roughly half my printer cartridge (it was a rather small ms).

Because of this, I am thinking about getting, some time next month if I can, a monochrome laser printer so I can print out my mss without using so much darned ink.

So the question I have for all of you is, what would you consider the most reliable monochrome laser printer that costs under $150.00? I've thought about Brother and HP machines, but aside from their own advertisements I really don't have any experience with the quality of their monochrome laser printers.

Oh, and before I forget: I'm using Windows XP SP3 Home Edition, just in case you need that information (for system requirements and the like).

Thank you all very much in advance for your help, and I look forward to your responses. :)

--Sean

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering a Brother, too (the little HL-2170w). I'd love to hear others' experiences with it or the HL-2140 (same machine w/o wireless).

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I have quite a bit of experience with long-lived HPs. The retail store where I used to work printed hundreds of signs (and thousands of reports) on theirs. The printers are about 10 years old now and would be fine if not for the abuse that angry people who don't understand that beating the printer does not unjam paper.

I have an old Lexmark that's on 93k pages. It squeaks like nothing else, but other than that it works perfectly.

My suggestion-- watch for when Staples/Office Max etc have super sales and rebates. We got three new HPs at school this summer for one-third price (If I recall correctly) because there was a sale and rebate.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
You can refill many if not most cartridges for about a dollar. I've gotten as many as twenty refills on a single cartridge that way.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my second HP laser printer -- the HP Laserjet P2015. I bought it on sale at Staples two years ago for about $175, I think. I just put in a new toner cartridge for the first time last month. The one that came with it lasted 23 months and thousands of pages.

My previous printer was an HP Laserjet 6L that I purchased in 1994. The only reason I replaced it was because it only prints 6 pages a minute and new ones are so much faster. It still works after 15 years.

I've had only good experiences with HP laser printers.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have an HP LaserJet 4, purchased in Mar 1994. It has needed servicing once. I easily go through 25,000 pages a year, most of them in the months of Feb-Apr. It is a workhorse. If anything ever happens to it, I will have a complete nervous breakdown. Then I will go look for the closest thing they make at the time.

MM

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so what I've read so far is that almost every one of you has had the best experience with an HP model. I'll see if I can't find a model that is within the price range I mentioned earlier.

Thank you all very much for your help. I'll continue to monitor this thread to see what other answers I get.

Thanks again!

:)

justsomeguy

Registered
Reaction score
After seeing several glowing reviews here on AW, I couldn't resist a Brother HL-2140 when I saw it at Staples, on sale for only $59.00.

I've only had it a month, but it's been great so far, prints ridiculously fast compared to the inkjets I'm used to.

I hooked it up, via USB, to my Airport Extreme (Apple wireless router) and can print from any of the three computers on my home network.

So I have no long term reports to offer, but am still awfully happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Staples has been taunting me with their ads recently. I think they even had it for $49 at one point, if you wanted to fuss with a mail-in rebate. I'm waffling between built-in wireless or not. Extra $ versus less cabling.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sean, another glowing report with an HP from me. I have an old LaserJet1200. I get at least twice the number of pages from a cartridge that I'm supposed to. I've had one paper jam. One! I've never serviced it. It likes every kind of paper I've ever fed it. I no longer remember when I got it, but I'm guessing 2001 or 2002. I'd buy another HP in a heartbeat.

Maryn, HP shill

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
HP color LaserJet 2600n here. Not quite a year old for us but it's a refurbished one we bought online through HP's site. Looks like new and we love it. Fast and quiet.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I've got an HP 1012. Had it for about 4 years and I'm on my second cartridge. No complaints. Next one will probably be network capable since I'm running two laptops and a desktop and will soon be adding a second desktop (DW will be working out of the house starting this week) on my home network.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Sean, another glowing report with an HP from me. I have an old LaserJet1200. I get at least twice the number of pages from a cartridge that I'm supposed to. I've had one paper jam. One! I've never serviced it. It likes every kind of paper I've ever fed it. I no longer remember when I got it, but I'm guessing 2001 or 2002. I'd buy another HP in a heartbeat.

Maryn, HP shill

Ooo I have the same printer....just keep chugging along.

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
I've got an HP1320. It is the most AWESOME printer I've ever owned (and I've owned lots). Going on three years, now, and not a single problem. I print a LOT, so for me the extra money made sense. It screams out about 22 pages per minute, has a toner that lasts forever, and does automatic duplexing (to help save on paper).

I replaced my HP Laserjet 6L with it. My wife still has the 6L and aside from being slow, it works like new. Must be over ten years old by now.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I have a very experienced HP1200, given to me by a friend. Works like a Belgian horse (as my German friend says). If you can find a used printer, don't despise it. Remanufactured (I think that's the word they use, lol) cartridges or generic ones are fine too, and a huge saving over brand-namers.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I have a Brother something, maybe the HL-2140 like people have mention it was less than $100(AU) and I've had it for two years without having to change the toner.

Honestly, Laser printers are great for writers. We often print pages and pages of text and just need to get it out quickly.

Not only do those InkJet printers use up heaps of ink, they take ages to print!

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I have an HP Laserjet 1020 which I've had about four years now. It's great. I paid C$200 for it plus an extra cartridge and a couple of bricks of paper. Great workhorse that takes anything I throw at it.