PDA

View Full Version : Name That Magic Item

zornhau
05-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Help!

A Babel-Fish-like ring is standard - but costly - kit for nobles in my story world. Put it on, and you can speak and understand any spoken language. The magic is runic, so there's nothing obvious about the design to lend it a name.

So, what do I call it?

Ring of Tongues would follow the fairly standard fantasy nomenclature. However, there are some obvious problems with this name (if you have a well informed but... erm... dirty mind).

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Calla Lily
05-19-2005, 03:03 PM
EEEEW! :ROFL:

Actually My first 2 thoughts were of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" (and thanks SO much for putting that loop in my head at 7 am :-) ) and then of a bunch of Christians having a "speaking in tongues" party -- like a Tupperware party.

But I'm not normal.

But to try and help rather than make further smart remarks...how about

Spring (conflating "speaking' and "ring")
The Communicator

Okay, I'll quit now. I obviously need coffee.

- the Lily

zornhau
05-19-2005, 03:31 PM
EEEEW! :ROFL:
Spring (conflating "speaking' and "ring")
The Communicator

Okay, I'll quit now. I obviously need coffee.
- the Lily

Um. It's Fantasy. They don't have marketing departments, so naming conventions are medievalesque, e.g. a greatsword is a "greatsword" not a Smite-O-Matic, or Hands-On-Force-Application-Extension-Tool

Thanks anyway!
Z

whitehound
05-19-2005, 04:02 PM
"Ring of Tongues" is the standard description for this item in RPGs so it would be a little uninspired, as well as suggestive. How about "Ring of All-Speech"?

Or - depending on whether this is the standard sort-of-Mediaeval-Europe setting or not - a Blarney Ring?

Or (if you have a Celtic-y background) Ogma's Ring - since Ogma was the god of eloquence. If you *don't* have a Celtic background you could invent your own god of eloquence and then call the ring after him/her.

Even "Ring of Eloquence" would do at a pinch.

DaveKuzminski
05-19-2005, 05:03 PM
I think Whitehound is on the right track here.

zornhau
05-19-2005, 05:08 PM
"All-Speech." I like that.

I was considering "Dragon Ring" since dragons traditionally can hear and speak in all languages.

MadScientistMatt
05-19-2005, 09:17 PM
A polyglottal ring.

triceretops
05-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Language of the Ages

Truespeak

The interpreter (sp?)

The mouthing ring

The holy tongue

knower of voices

Triceratops

brokenfingers
05-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Or on another track - you could name it after the original creator:

Sissywand's Ring

or the ones who had it created originally:

Scribes Guild Ring

or have it become known by a shortened name (as usually happens to items over time)

The Ambassador of The (Lost) Empire of Kyrinia's Ring of Translation becomes Kyrinia's Ring or the Kyrinian Ring etc.

You could tie in a little anecdote about it's history, myth, creation or whatever. I find this type of thing always good for creating verisimillitude for a new world.

Just some thoughts...

Vomaxx
05-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Taking the easy way out with languages, huh? Put in different languages, for realism, then negate them all with a little magic. Bah.

The Guild of Translators will try to destroy those rings, whatever they're called. :)

whitehound
05-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Is a polyglottal ring used for talking to Cockney parrots?

I like the idea of naming it after the person who worked out the original spell - if you think of words like biro and hoover it's very common for the name of the designer of an object to become the name of the object.

DeeCaudill
05-20-2005, 07:01 AM
How about: "Grammarian Signet"

Okay, I admit it. I've always liked the word "grammarian."

Alternatively, I can imagine these nobles tell their accountants (all good nobles need an accountant) that these costly rings are for diplomacy but mostly use them to pick up foreign bar maids or stable boys as the case may be. In which case, I would call this item "The Ring of Many Slaps" since ability to speak another language doesn't necessarily improve one's ability to seduce.

azbikergirl
05-20-2005, 07:57 AM
"All-Speech." I like that.

I was considering "Dragon Ring" since dragons traditionally can hear and speak in all languages.
Pilfered from the online etymology dictionary.

dragoman (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dragoman) 14c., from O.Fr. drugemen, from late Gk. dragoumanos, from Ar. targuman "interpreter," from targama "interpret." Treated in Eng. as a compound, with pl. -men.

can you do something with that?

zornhau
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Some great ideas so far - though I'm sure I saw Triceretops's mouthing ring on sale in Hamburg.

Taking the easy way out with languages, huh? Put in different languages, for realism, then negate them all with a little magic. Bah.

The Guild of Translators will try to destroy those rings, whatever they're called. :)

It all depends on what the novel's about.

I have a first contact situation where the culture clash is somewhat physical. I need the protags to be able to communicate between attempts to kill eachother, so will equip one of them with this device. The other characters will just have to struggle with the lovingly crafted language difference.

whitehound
05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Alternatively, I can imagine these nobles tell their accountants (all good nobles need an accountant) that these costly rings are for diplomacy but mostly use them to pick up foreign bar maids or stable boys as the case may be. In which case, I would call this item "The Ring of Many Slaps" since ability to speak another language doesn't necessarily improve one's ability to seduce.Somebody once said that the English language was the result of the efforts of a Norman man-at-arms to get off with a Saxon barmaid.

kaku
05-20-2005, 06:10 PM
I think we may be missing the point here. The ring wouldn't translate languages, it would allow the wearer to magically read thoughts and to convey one's thoughts to the intended audience. I'm thinking this might not be something you can pickup at your local Wizard's Walmart.

I wouldn't call it "ring" anything. How about "The Mind's Eye" (for seeing thoughts) or "The Ear of Merlin" (hearing thoughts) or "A Dragon's Tongue" (speaking telepathically). You really ought to consider thinking outside the box on this. If you've already defined a few "famous" magical types you might use their name in place of Merlin.

azbikergirl
05-21-2005, 12:52 AM
I think we may be missing the point here. The ring wouldn't translate languages, it would allow the wearer to magically read thoughts and to convey one's thoughts to the intended audience. I'm thinking this might not be something you can pickup at your local Wizard's Walmart.

I think this is Zornhau's ring and if he says it translates, it translates. :D

Anyway, mind-reading removes the possibility for conflict via lies/deception. Where's the fun in that?

preyer
05-21-2005, 11:13 AM
i can just see someone wearing so many rings that they can't move their fingers to the point where when attacked they can't grasp the hilt of their sword to defend themselves, their 'self-defense' ring still being in their purse, removed to put on the 'ring of seduction' and forgot to put it back on. a deft pickpocket could even replace the real ring with a fake that twists everything around.

somehow i think there's a story there, where magick is taken to ridiculous levels.

something just popped into my mind, doubtless three in the a.m. having something to do with it, but you see plenty of wizard duels, but you never see wizards play poker. pop a spell in there that makes 'em all dogs just for the helluva it. that's where you'd find the velvet art representation of such a game, hanging in a magick pawn shop (hey, wizards go bust, too, don't they?).

and, ya know, you'd figger a speech ring would have to worn on the tongue, no? like a speed ring would go around a toe, and the ring that made a man big where it counts, well, you get the idea. free ideas here, folks, get 'em while they last, lol.

and it stands to reason that a ring that throws fireballs from your hands is sold first, *then* it's mentioned by the salesman, 'and did you want the protection from fire ring to go along with that so you don't burn your hands off, sir?'

kappapi99
05-21-2005, 03:37 PM
LOL! Preyer, you should post at 3 AM more often... :banana:

As far as the ring goes, I am a big fan of alliteration, so why not Ring of Rendition? (rendition means translation or interpretation)

KP

Diana Hignutt
05-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Hmmmm....

Nope, I got nothin'...
diana

whitehound
05-22-2005, 02:58 AM
As far as the ring goes, I am a big fan of alliteration, so why not Ring of Rendition? (rendition means translation or interpretation)I'm a fan of alliteration too - but I can't help thinking this sounds a bit like something you'd use when plastering a wall... Circle of Speaking, maybe?

How about a "chattering"?

Albedo of Zero
05-22-2005, 08:40 AM
golden truth......... or (thought phone...but) "knell"

oh oh oh.... maybe something in a musical term because music needs no translation

i myself would choose something like thrig or linket or sfftch

preyer
05-22-2005, 09:59 AM
actually, i really like 'chattering.' it would be a good vernacular, if nothing else.

mdmkay
05-22-2005, 10:25 AM
you wouldn't have to call it a ring at all just call it by its name you would know it was a ring when it was given to the wearer. I liked the truthspeaker that someone mentioned earlier or if it has any "particular mannerisms or oddities about it" maybe use chatterling ........(whatever it's odd characteristic may be) or even chatterling transmitter/communicator/ or better yet the chatterling translator.

I need to go to bed I'm going from half decent to outright weird. night night all.

triceretops
05-22-2005, 10:32 AM
How about a movie called The Chattering. Doh!

Preyer you've got to stop giving me ideas all the time. Wizards with satire--I can see it. Like Little Nickey, they put boobs on heads, or steal each other's wands, replacing them with sticks.

Tri

whitehound
05-22-2005, 01:23 PM
There's a very mean trick you can do with someone's computer (which I've never actually done, I should say, only heard about) where you take a print-screen of the person's active desktop, make it their wallpaper and then delete all their real icons off of their desktop. Then they go barmy clicking on what are only pictures of icons...

Replacing a wand with a stick sounds similar and I'm sure there would be other things like that. Replacing the inevitable stuffed alligator with a live one under a stasis spell, so that it came to suddenly and bit you. Dissolving alembics. Serious-looking grimoires where the spells were really dirty limericks in some ancient language (there are probably some of those already in circulation).

[In reality, a wand is a means of chanelling your own energy so whatever you *think* is a wand is a wand. On that basis replacing it with a stick wouldn't work. But you could replace it with a length of charmed rope and have it go limp mid-spell - or even with a charmed snake.]

actually, i really like 'chattering.' it would be a good vernacular, if nothing else.Thanks. If the way the ring works is that you hear a little voice repeating the other person's words in your own language, it could also be a muttering or a whispering.

preyer
05-23-2005, 07:00 AM
sorry, tri, can't help it. :)

i've got a few star wars fanfics in mind since the new movie (pretty good, btw, if you're one of the eight people in an industrialized nation who haven't seen it). one involves a smart kid who stumbles upon an old (by then) warehouse of dusty battledroids and builds a command computer for them and unleashes them on his home to take control of it. it harkens back to a fanfic i started, and subsequently lost, about a kid who leaves his backwards and afraid village to see what's out there, along the way finding a derelict TIE fighter, rotten corpse of the pilot inside, both going to pot inside a stagnant pool, and finding a ghost jedi inhabiting a delapidated mansion ala a southern estate (what do you call those places? argh!)... plantations, that's it. a couple other ideas, basically using that universe as a built-in backdrop. i find a lot of macabre-ness and pathos in an empty suit of armour sitting in a corner of a cob-webby, deserted installation. or a derelict star-cruiser to explore. if anyone knows of something with a higher coolness factor than that, let me know, will ya.

anyway, it's remarkable, isn't it, how you can have rings that translate, and then the people go home to their hovels and sit in near darkness for the rest of the night. you'd think some kind of spell of incandescence would be a pretty good seller. not to start the debate up again, but if magick is on par with technology, why do these villages still live like they're a few rungs up from barbarians? if nothing else, the local lord would have magickal conveniences akin to lightbulbs and cars, no? imagine what a convenience a lighter would be to those people (just don't take it on any magick carpet rides else they're throw you in jail).

i wonder if when you're wearing that translation ring if you hear the translation of the animals around you, if there be any.

what kind of magick ring would i want, you ask? okay, so you didn't ask, thus i assume you just haven't had the thought of wanting desperately to know, so you're welcome. i think i'd want a ring that read people's minds. how difficult would it be to rule the world with such a thing? not too hard with some practice, i'd say.

as yet another aside, how do you imprison a powerful wizard? make him wear tin foil on his head?

Hummingbird
05-24-2005, 12:08 AM
This is interesting, reading everyone's different styles and ideas to name a ring. ;)

Since it translates, maybe you could use different words from different languages that mean translation and mix them? But since it's your own languages (I'm guessing) you could make up words in those languages and add them to the name of your ring.

One thing I've seen similar to this is on Digimon. (Yes, I love Digimon!) All the different creatures have names that are spliced, different languages, and misspellings of words. Like Gato, Cyberdra, and Guil. The creators just added 'mon' at the end of all their words. Gatomon, Cyberdramon, Guilmon. Gato is spanish for cat, Cyber Dragon with Dragon shortened, and Guil for guillable.

Good luck! :)

zornhau
05-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks folks.

I think I'll name by purpose rather than function. The civilised users now call the ring "Herald's Aid" but the less civilised manufacturers call it "Warmaker" for obvious reasons.

fallenangelwriter
05-25-2005, 05:53 AM
chat-ring

speakeasy

translator

traveler's ring

traveler's friend

ring of words

'chanter's ring (referring to the encahnters who created it, playing on "chant" as a form of speech)

whitehound
05-25-2005, 01:02 PM
anyway, it's remarkable, isn't it, how you can have rings that translate, and then the people go home to their hovels and sit in near darkness for the rest of the night. you'd think some kind of spell of incandescence would be a pretty good seller. not to start the debate up again, but if magick is on par with technology, why do these villages still live like they're a few rungs up from barbarians?Good question. One must assume that magic is much more expensive and/or dangerous and/or difficult to maintain than candles (the same sort of reason we still use lightbulbs and not arc-lamps powered by nuclear power). If magic were universally available and there was no cost to it then yes, you'd expect all houses to be lit by witch-light - but if e.g. magic-users are few and far between, and they have to be standing in the room to initiate a light-spell, and that light-spell needs to be renewed every few days, it would be expensive like hiring a plumber twice a week. But yes, you'd expect a rich lord would have a light-maker on the regular staff.

as yet another aside, how do you imprison a powerful wizard? make him wear tin foil on his head?Using an even more powerful wizard, probably: or several less powerful wizards working in concert. The usual assumption is that the wizard's magic can be bound or broken by some sort of trickery - you con him or her into coming within the ambit of a powerful binding-charm, for example. In Celtic stories often the mage has some built-in weakness - his soul and power are hidden in an eggshell buried under the threshhold, for example, and if you break the egg you break the power: or there is some taboo he must not break (for Cuchulainn it was eating dog-flesh), and if you trick him or her into breaking their taboo unawares then they become weak.

azbikergirl
05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
My novel uses certain kinds of gemstones to hold magic, like batteries hold electricity. Using magic has a cost to the spellcaster, but he/she can store it in the gems for later use or for use by others. (This is how they power 'freezing boxes,' for instance.) He/she can create these at leisure and even sell them at the market. Of course, some gems can hold stronger spells and for longer periods, too.

In my world, simply having the ability to use magic wouldn't enable a wizard to break out of prison.

DaveKuzminski
05-25-2005, 07:59 PM
There's a very mean trick you can do with someone's computer (which I've never actually done, I should say, only heard about) where you take a print-screen of the person's active desktop, make it their wallpaper and then delete all their real icons off of their desktop. Then they go barmy clicking on what are only pictures of icons...

Who, me do that? What makes you think I'd do that or put a copy of FLIP on someone's computer with a time delay to flip their screen upside down or that I'd preset one of their keys to send a flushing sound through the speaker every time it was pressed? Never! Never, never, never! Unless they were also doing it to me. ;)

preyer
05-26-2005, 09:01 PM
true about the wizard's prison. whenever i think about that line, i always see merlin being seduced by morgana ala 'excalibur.' then he's imprisoned, as it were, in a crystal stalagmite (or stalactite, whichever-- who can ever remember the difference?). the idea is a wizard's prison ain't going to be one with stone walls and bars, necessarily, it could be anything... like a lamp. cute children's story fodder, eh?, releasing a trapped wizard in modern day. probably been done.

DaveKuzminski
05-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Doesn't have to apply to just wizards. In one story of mine, a dragon is imprisoned in a sword that becomes known as the Dragon's Breath because it possesses special powers that can be utilized only by someone worthy. Otherwise, it's just a sword.