Video of Bay Area Rapid Transit Police Shooting Unarmed Man...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't see this anywhere. If I'm late, by all means merge me...

The video in a news story...

And an article about the situation...

I'd add an opinion but I dare think the video largely speaks for itself.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Since I live in the Bay Area, I've seen this numerous times and have followed the story closely.

I am unable to come up with any plausible explanation of what happened or why. It's incomprehensible, and it doesn't help that the officer involved has refused to make any statement about it whatsoever.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
there's nothing i have seen or read that suggests this was anything other than an intentional murder in front of witnesses. it's truly baffling.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'd heard the story (and its aftermath), though I hadn't yet heard much detail about it, and certainly hadn't seen any of the video. My first reaction is mystification at why these guys were being hassled in the first place, and I didn't see much to indicate "resistance" on the part of any of them. In fact, Grant is shown raising his hands in surrender before the police put him face down on the ground to cuff him. At no point is any active resistance obvious.

Then there's that unbelievably lame excuse that the officer might have mistaken his service revolver for a taser. What kind of dumbass like that could get hired as a police officer in the first place? I don't believe it for a heartbeat. Somebody is looking really hard for some kind of excuse to protect this guy and his companions.

From what I could make out, this incident is a far more egregious violation of common sense by police officers (especially the one) than the Rodney King incident, which was captured on a murkier video, and at least showed King not complying with police demands (probably because he was roaring drunk at the time). But nobody shot Rodney King.

caw

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Even thugs can become police officers. Let's hope the many who aren't don't suffer for the act of one.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Here in Turkey, on our military television stations, we heard the cop was put on administrative leave and then resigned. News station also tried to imply that he thought he'd grabbed his taser. Uh hem...are we really expected to buy this?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it a couple of different times, and I still don't understand. Why did this happen? It doesn't make any sense at all...there doesn't seem to be any reason for the officer to have done what he did.

Unbelievable.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Here in Turkey, on our military television stations, we heard the cop was put on administrative leave and then resigned. News station also tried to imply that he thought he'd grabbed his taser. Uh hem...are we really expected to buy this?

That's a possibility I hadn't considered though. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I can't watch the video here; Turkey has ban on YouTube and the likes. But what we were shown on news...why would he even need to grab his taser--as if--the guy wasn't fighting him. Places like the Bay area, L.A., and other cities, people don't usually bother fighting with the cops. Unfortunately, it's a given that there are too many bad cops that have no qualms needing little excuse to beat your ass/brutalize you.

Has there been rioting? After Rodney King, everyone went bonkers with fury!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
That's a possibility I hadn't considered though. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
I heard that bit of speculation. But you know, he stood up and drew his weapon, then aimed and fired. I can't imagine how he could have held, aimed, and fired a gun in that manner and thought it was a taser. Maybe in the middle of a struggle, pulling the gun and firing in one motion I could see it. But not like this. Imo, anyway.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Has there been rioting? After Rodney King, everyone went bonkers with fury!

Some relatively minor disturbances, but nothing akin to the Rodney King aftermath. Although the real bad Rodney King stuff happened after the acquittals of the policemen at a later trial, not right after the initial event. Stay tuned.

caw

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I heard that bit of speculation. But you know, he stood up and drew his weapon, then aimed and fired. I can't imagine how he could have held, aimed, and fired a gun in that manner and thought it was a taser. Maybe in the middle of a struggle, pulling the gun and firing in one motion I could see it. But not like this. Imo, anyway.

That does make sense from what the video portrays.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's right. Forgot about that acquittal madness. I remember that trucker being dragged out of his rig...jeeze...it was such a mess.

With this being so...well...Rodney was on film too...and that STILL didn't make the good ole' boys pay the price...

Any word on how the other cops responded? Does the film show that? I'd like to think at least ONE of them shoved him back, slugged him...SOMETHING????
I'd have lost my job AND gone to jail.
Why?
I'd have pulled my weapon & shot the dirty cop. Then claimed I feared for my life in the face of his obvious crazed state of mind. Bet I would have gotten off too. Oh, sure, I wouldn't be a cop anymore...but there'd be one less prick with a badge & gun.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, the idea that he thought it was a taser is total bullshit, imo. He executed the guy for no good reason that I can see. I suppose I should suspend judgment, but you know, it doesn't look real good for this guy, and a man is dead.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I always carry my video camera with me at all times now because of situations exactly like this.
Haven't been in the states in nearly 10 years--serving my country overseas--but we were watching this thing where cars can now have these cameras on board that record everything...I think it's for accident purposes, to prove which driver was in the wrong...I feel these should be mandatory, so when pulled over, that sweet baby-faced cop can be recorded as well...when he's spitting on you....

Anyway...Turkey has some major bans, but I'm going to Google and see what's happening with this. Though the cop resigned, are charges being pressed?
And, my God, what of the family? I'm sure they've been bombarded with lawyers seeing this as a sweet payday for them, not really giving a damn about the family. What a real crapper!

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
A video camera is a double-edged sword -- it can help you or hurt you. Use with caution.

I live in a fairly large city with three distinct ethnic neighborhoods: the "black neighbrhood," the "Puerto Rican neighborhood," and the "Italian neighborhood." As for the old Irish quarter, it's no longer Irish, it's now Puerto Rican. There's also some street racing, and easilly three fire alarms per day. I witnessed a gang of kids beating the crap out of a lone kid five months ago and I did not have my camera. I'm never without it now.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'd heard the story (and its aftermath), though I hadn't yet heard much detail about it, and certainly hadn't seen any of the video. My first reaction is mystification at why these guys were being hassled in the first place, and I didn't see much to indicate "resistance" on the part of any of them.
The BART police had been called to the station due to reports of two groups of youths fighting on one of the trains. They separated the groups, and the people you see on the video were some of those involved in the fighting.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
And, my God, what of the family? I'm sure they've been bombarded with lawyers seeing this as a sweet payday for them, not really giving a damn about the family. What a real crapper!
John Burris, who is the go-to lawyer in Oakland for these type of cases, has filed a suit in behalf of the family for 25 million.

Reaction score
I am told that as soon as the gun went off, the cop with the gun started shouting: "Oh my GOD! Oh my GOD!" in total surprise.

It was New Year's time, right?

Maybe he was drunk and really did think it was a taser.

I have no doubt that there are evil cops out there, but by just watching the video, I can't believe that any cop with all those people around, would just pull out his gun and shoot someone dead in cold blood on the floor.

I'm not saying he didn't, but I can't help believe that something went wrong in this cop's brain.

Maybe I'm naiive. Maybe he just felt like killing someone.

:Shrug:

Regardless, he should be going to jail for a long long time. Mistake or not.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i thought we were living in a post-racial world now?

that's what newscasters kept telling me on election day...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Some relatively minor disturbances, but nothing akin to the Rodney King aftermath. Although the real bad Rodney King stuff happened after the acquittals of the policemen at a later trial, not right after the initial event. Stay tuned.

caw
A protest was held January 7th at the Fruitvale BART station. Protesters gathered at 3pm and by 5pm the crowd had swelled to around one thousand people. At 6pm some of the protesters started marching down Broadway towards downtown Oakland. Around 6:35 there was a confrontation with a police car and a burning dumpster was shoved into it as people shook and jumped on the car. Hundred of police then moved in, shooting tear gas into the crowd. The protest continued into the night as dozens of protesters took over and blocked the intersection of 14th and Broadway for over an hour with several people lying on the ground to show how Oscar was lying when he was shot. A line of hundreds of riot police then moved in and pushed the crowd up 14th. The crowd pushed back and dozens of car windows were broken and a minivan was set one fire. The police then charged and as protesters dispersed windows were broken on a McDonalds and at least two more cars were set on fire.

8:30pm Two more cars near 14th and Madison are on fire and there have been more arrests.

8:10pm Crowd is dispersing. KPIX helicopter shows windows being smashed in on a McDonalds a block of so away.

8:07pm All cars on one side street have had their windows smashed and a minivan is on fire.

8:05pm Police are dividing crowd and charging at protesters. Several people are being put in police vans. An online feed from kpix.com seems to show police have dragged one person behind a police van and at least 4 police are beating the person with batons .

8:00pm A line of police is moving in and pushing the protesters out of the intersection. Many protesters are pushing back and several car windows are being smashed.

7:45pm Police just ordered the crowd to disperse and have told the crowd that anyone who does not leave the area in 10 minutes will be arrested.

7:40pmDozens of people are still at 14th and Broadway, surrounded by hundreds of police cars and police in riot gear. Several people are lying on the ground in the intersection re-enacting how Oscar Grant was lying when he was shot.

7:10pmPeople are blocking Broadway and 14th chanting “We are Oscar Grant”

7:05pm: 50 or so people now marching back up Broadway towards 13th

6:40pm: Police are using tear gas and rubber bullets on crowd. 12 cops on foot and an armored truck chased people on Broadway towards the freeway.

6:35pm: Reports of people jumping on cop car and dumpster on fire near 7th and Madison

4:00pm: The crowd has swelled to around 300 people. BART has issued an advisory announcing the closure of the Fruitvale station "due to civil protest." A bus bridge has been established at Coliseum station.

3pm: Protesters have begun to gather at Fruitvale BART.

http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20090108012120338

protest videos:

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/BART_cop_shooting_protests_escalate_turn_0108.html

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was New Year's time, right?

Maybe he was drunk and really did think it was a taser.

That was one of my thoughts after seeing the video. "Maybe the cop had been partying and was drunk or coked up." That obviously wouldn't excuse what happened at all, but watching the video it seems somehow more plausible than just, "Maybe the cop felt like executing a restrained guy for no reason in full view of dozens of people."

Allegedly BART officers were trying to confiscate camera phones and video recorders from witnesses after the incident. Again, allegedly...