Do people ever put the AW in their book acknowledgements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
If I ever get published there are a couple of people in particular and AW in general who will be getting giant thanks in my acknowledgment section. Don't know where I'd be without y'all!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I did:

To the Absolute Write Water Cooler guys—without you I’d never have learned enough to get this book published. Special thanks to JCD, God of Query Hell, my betas Mumut, Paichka and Carmy for their time and insightful comments. Another thanks to Jennontheisland for explaining publishing thingies in plain English, and of course the BIC crew who whipped me and made me get it done, even when I thought my eyes would bleed from having to look at this one last time. Yo Anis! I did it!

Though of course Anis went and changed his name to Ken. Silly boy. :D

And why? Because without this place I'd be lost and unpubbed in a sea of words...

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
*puts Idiots on ignore*
Didn't see MY name in there....kidding :e2tongue:

In all seriousness, I've a slew of people that I'll be asking permission to list on my dedication page...though I'd prefer to use their AW name, versus their real name. Why? Uh hem...if I'm honored enough to have any AWans read my work, you'd all recognize Cray, Meerkat, Haggis, QuickWit, Ferret, Lady Jay, ToT, TurkeyLurkey, Don, Leuk....okay...lemme stop there because the list is pretty long...whereas, their real name, no one would know who the bloody hell I was talking about.

I hope they all say yes...if not, I'll have to begin cyberstalking them...or worse...send 'em nude photos of myself...THAT'LL probably land me in court, forced to pay for their therapy...

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Well ... I have my 'first pages' in hand and have one final say before it goes to print.

Now's the chance for bribes.

JJ

Reaction score
I definitely would mention AW if Mac okayed it; same for individuals, depending on whether they'd prefer their real or screen names mentioned.

I can't think of any other resource which has done more for my writing than AW.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
If I ever get published there are a couple of people in particular and AW in general who will be getting giant thanks in my acknowledgment section. Don't know where I'd be without y'all!

Make sure you remember to include your agent, publisher (in particular editors) and loved ones.

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Voices in your head would be fine. Nobody would know. As long as the acks go (in order) - agent, editor(s), publisher, loved one(s)(voices) and then all others.

JJ

Reaction score
Call me cold, but AW's done more for my writing than any so-called 'loved ones', given that I have no family bar a stepdad anyway...

I'm always intrigued when people say things like, "...without whom this book could never have been written." If I had a partner, no matter who they were, I'd still write. The book would be down to me, not them. I'd write regardless, so...maybe I'm missing something.

If I can write a book without a husband, surely that shows I don't need one's support to get it done?

Now. I must go get exactly that done, so I don't make a liar of myself.

*goes offline for a bit*

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think the point of including loved ones is a matter of saying "Thank you for sticking by me, even when I spend years writing and publishing a book on my own..."

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
For me, I dedicated the book to my wife and also included a bit about her sticking by me through the good times and the bad in the acks.

It wasn't all about just the writing time. She encouraged me and guided me through some difficult parts in my life. She gave me inspiration to write and spent many a night alone in bed while I learnt the craft here at AW and typed away on my MS. She shared in the moment I got an agent and the moment I got a publisher. She read my book cover to cover even though she doesn't normally read my genre. She changed the nappies when I had an inspirational moment and couldn't leave the keyboard. She told all of her friends about my book and how proud she was of me for writing it. She gave birth to my fist Son alone when I was busy in Iraq and cared for the boys when the Army needed me in some other place. She gave up a promising career so I could give mine a go.

So, this book could not, and would not, have been written without my wife. Absolute. AW taught me craft. My wife gave me the support needed to see it through. My book is dedicated to her. In the end, for the reasons above, nobody has done more for my writing than my wife.

JJ

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My wife gave me the support needed to see it through. My book is dedicated to her. In the end, for the reasons above, nobody has done more for my writing than my wife.

Same for my Old Man - w/o his encouragement I'd have given up long ago, or never bothered to start.

BTW, can I bribe you with that thing with whipped cream and glace cherries?

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You can put who you feel appropriate in your acknowledgments. In EQUINE LIABILITY my acknowledgments included some of the horses who taught me. Definitely when my novel is published AW will be listed generally and some people specifically.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
For me, I dedicated the book to my wife and also included a bit about her sticking by me through the good times and the bad in the acks.

It wasn't all about just the writing time. She encouraged me and guided me through some difficult parts in my life. She gave me inspiration to write and spent many a night alone in bed while I learnt the craft here at AW and typed away on my MS. She shared in the moment I got an agent and the moment I got a publisher. She read my book cover to cover even though she doesn't normally read my genre. She changed the nappies when I had an inspirational moment and couldn't leave the keyboard. She told all of her friends about my book and how proud she was of me for writing it. She gave birth to my fist Son alone when I was busy in Iraq and cared for the boys when the Army needed me in some other place. She gave up a promising career so I could give mine a go.

So, this book could not, and would not, have been written without my wife. Absolute. AW taught me craft. My wife gave me the support needed to see it through. My book is dedicated to her. In the end, for the reasons above, nobody has done more for my writing than my wife.

JJ
Being the military wife, I can relate to much of this and admire that you are aware of what we do. I too left a HUGE career so that he could concentrate on serving his country, furthering his education while I provided the 'nest' and nurtured the kids. It's not a choice for everyone, but it's worked best for our family. And for those times when I was a single parent, a career would have just been in the way. In return, all that goes into being a writer, he's been there for me--and HE'S the one that pushed me to put my stories on paper...and, oh how he goes ballistic when a rejection arrives from an agent...my hero, eh?
So, here's a portion of my dedication page that I had put in Shadows of The Keeper upon publishing:

...But the best is saved for last...my husband, Kerry.
When I said I wanted to write, you didn’t laugh. When I
wanted to quit, you refused. And I do so appreciate you not
having me committed when I laughed uproariously while
typing a humorous scene. For accepting all these characters
sharing our lives, being my sounding board,
and…uh…er…being my very own Prince Dezenial. I love
you!

Karey

{Prince Dezenial is/was the main character of said book}

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting that this topic should pop up. I've asked for and gotten guidance from AW members. I just posted [01/02/09] a thank you in the Story Research forum where I offer to include the names of those who have contributed to my WIP acknowledgment page when I'm ready to build it.

However, I won't be making a blanket AW reference.
C

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Great question, Barb D! The folks on this forum have helped me a lot. Of course, like other posters above wrote, with MacAllister and others' permission....

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I definitely would mention AW if Mac okayed it; same for individuals, depending on whether they'd prefer their real or screen names mentioned.
Uh oh, I never thought to ask for an okay! AW is mentioned in my upcoming book's acknowledgements in a generic way. I felt it was only natural because I got the contract as an indirect result of an AW posting, and the help here was invaluable.

Status
Not open for further replies.