McAfee

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Moving into the sixth week of trying to fix their system in my computer, the tech tongiht told me the problem was my connection, which oddly enough is the same one I've had for 7 years hre and 5 at another address. He refused to answer my quesitons. He told me run this program and restart the puter. I said you set that up in the hope that whatever happens you will never have to speak to me again, right?

he said, that is correct.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've known people who have actually sent McAfee software back, even though they only get partial credit for it.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get it in dowload form. They suggested I pay $60 to talk to a tech, but I told them that was what Norton costs. Okay I also told them they were extermely rude because they didn't read the email or answer my qustions. Not answring questions seems to be their gig. They have now downloaded new software. If this doesn't work, I'm going to uninstall the program myself. And install Norton. I've had McAfee since the mid-90s and it usually screws up once a year.

If if screws up again I just want out.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to look at Kaspersky instead of Norton. Norton works fairly well, but many have found it slows their computer considerably. I use Kaspersky myself, after using Norton for several years.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Norton sucks. My sister uses Norton and has to have her computer cleaned every six months because it's overrun by viruses. I have heard Kaspersky is really good.

I use something provided by my internet provider and it rocks. It is apparently F-Secure. I don't know, all I know is that between it and Spyware Doctor my computer is free of viruses and malware. love it.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if McAfee is slowing the computer. Yes, it's dial up any slower and snail mail might be faster.

Just got a note that not protected, does that with every frikkin' update now, that's what they won't fix and the last update took an hour to down load. "which you ought to expect when you have dial up." This despite it never taking that long before.

The software that was just installed does not appear to include the firewall.

sorry didn't mean to startle you'all with that scream.

have to restart now. This thread may appear twice due to download affect. Please tell moderator for me.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Stlight, I use Shaw. they're my cable company, they provide my internet connection. So you cant use their security unless you're a shaw customer but from what i understand F-Secure is available to the public, Shaw just uses it as a free bonus for their customers.

when you install it, the legalese thingie is from F-Secure.

http://www.f-secure.com/

I shut off all internet security from vista, including the firewall. Shaw secure (F-secure) provides the firewall and virus and spyware protection and spydoctor catches the rest which is the occasional cookie and spydoctor will block the occasional website when using uTorrent.

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I use AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy. Both are free over the internet, and they work very well.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I have had problems with McAfee.I changed to AVG , so far so good.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I used to use avg free but now use

AVAST

The reason I changed was that with the introduction af avg8 my computer slowed down quite a lot

I am very happy with avast as my computer is back up to speed

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I use ESET Nod32, which is a really effective AntiVirus so far. This is the first time I have experienced a software which hasn't ruined my pc in over a year. (I am using it on my laptop) Like you I also owned a license of McAfee and had the most amount of trouble with it. I also owned Norton at one time, and it was the same. I also had AVG, and had trouble with it eventually. I also had Avast too, and the same thing happened. Sypot Search and Destory ruined my pc too.

These anti virus softwares were used on my desktop pc, which reincarnated about 20 different times within a time span of 8 years. This pc originally was a packard bell, but we re-used all the parts and just got a technician to update the hardrive and import new parts in it over the years. The original computer is actually 13 years old, but that no longer exists since all the parts got replaced with other recycled parts. I did have the packard bell screen for a long while though, and only got a flat LCD screen about 5 or 6 years ago for it.

Overall am happy with this new Anti Virus, and interestingly enough it is also the main Anti Virus Software for the computers where I work.