Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Story in SJR here.

Vote was 114 - 1
The unprecedented action sets the stage for a Senate trial on whether he should be thrown out of office for corruption and abuse of power.
Blagojevich becomes the first Illinois governor to be impeached.

Given the history of gubernatorial politics in this state, the fact that this is the FIRST one to be impeached? I'm not sure what it actually says. That he really was that bad? That he REALLY couldn't "win friends and influence people."

Or just that Illinois politics can learn from its mistakes, it just take a century or so.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Milton Patterson, D-Chicago. No comment from him in the story.

It was also noted that there is no requirement for a criminal conviction, or even a criminal case, for impeachment to proceed.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Or maybe the reason he is the first one to be impeached is because this is the first time the whole country is watching.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Or maybe the reason he is the first one to be impeached is because this is the first time the whole country is watching.

icon14.gif

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It was also noted that there is no requirement for a criminal conviction, or even a criminal case, for impeachment to proceed.
No, there isn't. But I think it was a foolish move on the part of the House. They should have at least waited for an indictment, since supposed criminal wrongdoing is the background, here.

It's a bad precedent, imo. And it's about nothing other than PR, right now.

Last edited:

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
The Senate "Pay for Play" scandal is just a part of the story. There are a long list of items that were a part of the impeachment vote.

House members found evidence that the two-term Democrat had abused his power, including improperly spending tax money, adopting programs without legislative approval and violating state hiring laws.

Also, this from SJ-R

11:10 a.m.: AP has an explanation from Rep. Patterson about his no vote:

During the House's 90-minute debate on impeachment, no one spoke up to defend the governor. But Rep. Milton Patterson, D-Chicago, voted against impeaching Blagojevich. Rep. Elga Jefferies, D-Chicago, voted "present."

Patterson said he wasn't defending anyone, but that he read the impeachment committee's report and wasn't comfortable voting against the governor. "I have no firsthand knowledge of any of the evidence," he said.

"I went by my own gut feeling, it's as simple as that," he said. "I read the report. If the government is going to indict him, let them go ahead and do that. That's their job and I'm doing my job."

Patterson, who had health problems last year, did not run for re-election to his seat and will be leaving the House next week. Rep. Jefferies, who voted, "present" is also on her way out. She lost her bid for re-election during the last spring's primary.

If I am reading this correctly, they (AP) would seem to imply that public support of impeachment, and a desire to get re-elected, played a part in all the yes votes.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Not really. The Blag's predecessor, Ryan, is currently in prison for a bribery conviction (I believe). Apparently the law got him before it became necessary for the legislature to do so. That's probably the reason there haven't been previous Illinois Gov impeachments. Remember, Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald sprang the arrest prematurely, hoping to preclude a later scandal if Blagojevich made a Senatorial appointment. That didn't entirely succeed, as we now know. But Blagojevich still hasn't been indicted, though the proceedings toward that continue, and will do so even if he's kicked out of the Governor's office.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If I am reading this correctly, they (AP) would seem to imply that public support of impeachment, and a desire to get re-elected, played a part in all the yes votes.

As they bloody well should. The sentiment of the public ought to be a major concern for every one of these legislators, and appears to have been so, with a single exception.

caw

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Not really. The Blag's predecessor, Ryan, is currently in prison for a bribery conviction (I believe). Apparently the law got him before it became necessary for the legislature to do so. That's probably the reason there haven't been previous Illinois Gov impeachments. Remember, Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald sprang the arrest prematurely, hoping to preclude a later scandal if Blagojevich made a Senatorial appointment. That didn't entirely succeed, as we now know. But Blagojevich still hasn't been indicted, though the proceedings toward that continue, and will do so even if he's kicked out of the Governor's office.

caw

I remember the Governor Ryan stuff well, (I live in IL).

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002936731_ryan18.html
Ryan declined to seek a second term after the scandal sent his approval ratings plummeting. He was indicted a year after leaving office.
And Ryan is the Third to go to prison. Neither Walker nor Kerner were impeached either.

Ryan was the third former Illinois governor in the past three decades to be convicted of federal felonies. Otto Kerner was found guilty in a racing-stock scandal; Dan Walker was convicted of corruption involving bank loans.
The scandal that led to Ryan's downfall began over a decade ago with a fiery van crash in Wisconsin that killed six children. The 1994 wreck exposed a scheme inside the Illinois secretary of state's office in which truck drivers obtained licenses for bribes.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
As they bloody well should. The sentiment of the public ought to be a major concern for every one of these legislators, and appears to have been so, with a single exception.

caw

I agree...isn't it about damned time politicians listen to the people they're supposed to be representing?

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I agree...isn't it about damned time politicians listen to the people they're supposed to be representing?

Not only that, but to just do the RIGHT thing. This is so clearly an issue centering upon the irrefutable expectation that these kinds of offices should be above reproach. Blago brought a LOT of reproach upon himself by "merely talking" about getting paid. And his crummy defense is "I was just talking. I didn't actually DO it, nor did I even really SOLICIT it. It was just talk. You can't cite me for nothing but mere talk."

Oh yes we can, and yes we did. So up yours, douchbag scumbag.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Gov. B appeared on TV a few min. ago. Here's an excerpt from the USATODAY Story:

the governor said the vote was an offshoot of his disagreements with the Illinois House over issues ranging from public-works programs, expanded access to health care and property-tax relief.

"From the very moment of my re-election, I've been engaged in a struggle with the House to try to get things done for people," he said.

Blagojevich introduced a young man who needed a kidney transplant but was ineligible for a children's insurance program because he was 19. He said expansion of a state program allowed him to have the life-saving surgery.

"Is that an impeachable offense?" the governor asked."I'm going to continue to fight every step of the way," Blagojevich said angrily. "I am not guilty."

He didn't take any questions.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
"From the very moment of my re-election, I've been engaged in a struggle with the House to try to get things done for people who could pay handsomely for it (snip) ...What do people think I am, a *%#$! charity?"
Bolded part mine...

:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
"From the very moment of my re-election, I've been engaged in a struggle with the House to try to get things done for people," he said.

Blagojevich introduced a young man who needed a kidney transplant but was ineligible for a children's insurance program because he was 19. He said expansion of a state program allowed him to have the life-saving surgery.

"Is that an impeachable offense?" the governor asked.
"I'm going to continue to fight every step of the way," Blagojevich said angrily. "I am not guilty."

No, you mother f'ing piece of shite. Pardon my French.

But selling a Senate seat is you absolute lunatic.

Oh do I hate this guy.

This guy is a guy I hate. I hate him to all levels of hate.

Oh I can't wait to see this motherf'er behind bars.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Billy, just my opinion here.

There's more to pity here than to hate, mate.

It, and he, just aren't worth the emotion, time and energy of hate.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
What's really funny is that when the new legislature is sworn in next week, they will probably have to vote to impeach him too. They'll have to cover all their legal bases to make certain that the impeachment trial can't be challenged on the basis of this vote coming from the legislature that wasn't seated for the actual proceedings in the Senate.

What a mess.

Reaction score

I have a lot of spare energy and time, do to my avoidance of hard work, that I can apply toward hating certain people.

I'm comfortable directing some of it at this schmuck.
:)

But good looking out.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
It's ****ing moronic. They acted too late to prevent the Senate appointment, so why the rush now? Wait for the new legislature and the indictment.

Because in the game of politics, the here and now is more important than reality. Take our bailout bill, for example, that was rushed through during election season more as a campaign manuever than a realistic application of resources directed toward dealing with the disaster. This legislature, which balked at preventing Blago from appointing a new Senator, is now trying to redeem itself by passing a measure to indicate their censure of the Governor they were too stupid to restrict from making that appointment. Now the mess has spread from Illinois to Washington--but since they've passed the impeachment measure their hands are proverbially clean and free of responsibility.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Probably correct, but that doesn't mean we let him off the hook. Although, at this point, I'm inclined to believe the original opinion of the IL Atty General that the guy is actually insane. Or maybe just plain dumb enough to be considered so.

Who's advising Da Blag, anyhow? Ain't there no Alexander Haig to tell him it's just time to go? The IL House voted 144-1 to impeach him. He thinks the IL Senate is not going to convict him and punt his ass out of office???????????

He could use the feeble leverage he still has, still being Governor, to make some kind of deal with Pat Fitzgerald, although that might be tough, considering Fitzgerald's history of prosecuting political miscreants. There's no indication he's even considered doing so.

Mepredicts he winds up a cellie with Ex-Gov. Ryan.

caw