connecting with writers on Twitter

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
I wasn't sure where to put this request, and apologies if this thread exists (I couldn't find it), but....I really want to connect with other writers - especially freelance - on Twitter! I've tried a couple "find people with your interests on Twitter" applications, but they didn't work for me.

So if you're on Twitter, could we connect? Maybe you could post your username here, and we could have a Twitterfest :) ......

Also, I'm interested to know if Twitter has worked or is working for you as a writer. Is it encouraging, or a huge time sucker?

Thanks,
Laurie

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I'm there, jefletcher.
Doesn't suck my time because I forget about it, heh. I do get some traffic from it and have met interesting people. That reminds me, I have to Tweet Dawn to ask if she drank her water...

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
http://twitter.com/Adzmodeus

It tends to suck quite a bit of my time, I usually have it on in the background while I write, usually something of interest on there to read when I'm stuck/bored/procrastinating :)

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I am an Internet Marketer by day and I use twitter a lot for online marketing news, information, networking, promotion, etc. It is a great tool. Also, a lot of companies (like starbucks) use it to their advantage.

Now I am using a second account for my part-time freelance writing career. (/markkenedyw) - note the spelling

I think if you use it for about a month you will get a feel of how it works and how to use it to your advantage.

It's late, but I will check out all the Twitter accounts of those who posted tomorrow.

Good luck!

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Laurie. My handle on twitter is Heiddiz :)

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on Twitter as well. @KathleenRoberts

I find it is a great way to network and learn from some of the "big-wigs" in whatever industry you choose. You follow writers you admire, marketers you want to emulate and companies you support.

Um, and yes. It is a time suck. ;)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
There's a bunch of us; joint the Absolute Write Twitter Group, run by Jenn Nipps, with Mac's blessings :D

http://twittgroups.com/group/absolutewrite

Aha! So that's where Nita (ritinrider) got the idea I'm some kind of Twitter expert. lol

My ID there is the same as here. I'm either unoriginal or transparent, however you wish to label it. :) @jennipps

Here's the thing...A while back, I saw some Twitter groups being formed. I thought about creating one for AW, but since it's not my site, I didn't feel like it was my place. I thought about e-mailing Mac about it, but she set it up before I typed a single letter. :) We had a bit of a conversation about Twitter, Twitter groups, and the like, and she said, basically, I'm the Twitter liaison. lol

Thanks for the link, Laurie. I'll check it out. :)

I've actually got a couple leads for writing jobs from Twitter. I haven't gotten a job/assignment from it yet, but I think it will happen. I've found ideas for articles & short stories on Twitter, not to mention loads of potential sources. :)

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
I don't mean to change the subject, but do writers also use LinkedIn? I haven't used twitter. I had some initial good luck hooking up with former colleagues on LinkedIn and getting some business, so I'm happy there -- is twitter the same kind of thing?

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I'm on LinkedIn as well. The status report messages on LI are about as close as it gets to being like Twitter.

I've received more leads & information that I can actually use writing-wise on Twitter than I have on LI.

Speaking of Twitter...Something I've found very helpful is the Journchat they have every Monday night. It lasts a couple hours. There are some also talking about putting together a chat between writers & editors. There's enough preliminary interest that they're moving ahead with it. I'll let you all know more about it when I get more info.

Dominique

Practical Prose
Registered
Reaction score
I've only been on Twitter for a couple of weeks at this point.
My primary interest is regional (Midwest U.S.) travel writing, and I've already found a lot of useful links to Midwest organizations and info by just building a list of follows/followers that includes a lot of CVBs, museums, businesses, media outlets and other folks from the Midwest.

I'm @midwestguest on Twitter

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Does joining the group do anything other than give you a list of people in the group? Do I still need to find everyone individually and follow them?

You actually have to still follow them individually. The purpose of the group (so far) has been to keep AWers on Twitter (and others who might be interested) updated on chats & contests posted on the AW calendar and any problems/updates (such as the recent outage).

There are other groups, though, that have weekly chats on Twitter. If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to host/moderate one there.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is twitter like myface or spacebook? My son doesn't have the patience to help me and can't seem to explain what it's all about. I tried searching for a college friend on google, but had no luck. Another friend suggested I search myface, but I had to open an account first (IIRC). So I did. Still no luck. But I do have an account and what? What do I do now? How is twitter different? I guess it's time for me to retire my quill. Just kidding, I'm not that old - I've never sent a text message or an IM, but I do know how to email. :)