Stupid is as stupid does ...

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
so there's no question about it: I'm Stupid. Notice the capital S. This post may not be helpful for the majority of AW members, but if you've ever questioned your intelligence and you're in a hurry, skip to the last paragraph - it may save you some money (and dignity).

Ten years ago, I was working for a church. A guy came up and started talking to my helper and me. About 15 minutes later, he said he was working for the pastor on the corner building and wanted to do a little cleaning up. He asked to borrow my backpack blower. "Sure. No problem. Take the push broom and shovel too." As soon as he was out of earshot, my helper said, "WTF are you doing? You just lost a 450 dollar blower." "What are you talking about?" I asked. "Didn't you hear him? He wants to help the pastor." My helper laughed. And when we couldn't find the guy, he didn't let me forget it.

Another helper wanted to buy my boat for 10k. "Sure. No problem." I drew up a contract. We agreed that I'd deduct 25% of his paycheck each week until it was paid off. He worked about a month before Katrina hit. When I got back from a two-week evacuation, he had burned up the engine trying to rescue people stranded on their roofs. When I asked about the boat, he said it was being fixed. This went on for weeks. Finally, I got tough and said, "Please, just tell me where the boat is." He gave me the name of the marina. Nothing had been done and the cost of repair was more than the boat was worth. My helper? Got depressed from the sights of Katrina and took his life.

Then there's the contractor. Got ahead of me by 16k before I had to fire him for shoddy work. After 1 1/2 years, my wife and I are still living in the den as we save to redo his work and finish our bedroom and master bath.

The latest happened yesterday. A guy walks up my drive and calls to me in my detached office/workshop. He wants to take a dent out of my daughter's car (compliments of a hit and run driver). We talk about replacing a mirror (compliments of a driveby), painting a few rust spots, and fixing her electric window. We agree on a cash price. After a few hours, I'm called again. The dent is fixed, but covered with globs of turtle wax. The window needs a part, which they will order and install when it comes in. Same for the mirror. I look over the car and see turtle wax in all the spots that they painted. I was told it had to dry before I removed it, and the paint would look just like new. I paid them all but a few bucks for the mirror and window part that they agreed to fix. I'm not stupid. If I paid them everything, they wouldn't come back. Well, when the wax dried, I wiped it off. Globs of it. Yep, to hide the rust spots they didn't paint and the pathetic dent removal job. And their telephone number? Yep, disconnected. I really hope this doesn't help any of you - I'd hate to think there are others as stupid. Sorry I don't have any cash for all of you, but you know what they say about a fool and his money...

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Oooo, my gosh. And I was laying here thinking what a loser I am for some of the choices I've made in my life. I think we are twins separated at birth. :D wait don't take that the wrong way.

Last edited:

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm too stupid to take it the wrong way, Cassi. :eek:

Hey, I was also too stupid to realize that my stupidity might make others feel like Mensa members. And that's good. I think. I don't know.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, Cassi, you light's burned out. I know a couple a guys who could fix it. Just don't pay them up front.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
It's surely time for things to go right. I hope so, anyway.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm with you except for the boat guy. That was no con artist looking to rip you off... he was trying to save people's lives. I know it sucks to be out the money, but I wouldn't count that in the same category at all.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think of it as bad reflection on you, more a reflection of the character, or lack thereof of those people who conned you.

But as Jenna said except the guy who was trying to save lives.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
((((((HUGS)))))) Moon. I agree with the others above. You didn't know these people were cons. We can't be too trusting today in RL, unfortunately. Sure hope from now on, things will be a lot better for you.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Moon Writer.

The first guy probably would have got me too, and I could belong to Mensa if I wanted to. The boat guy? I agree with the others.

For the third and fourth guy, and those who might come to follow: Use reputable contractors and business people. Go to their place of business, don't buy anything from people who come to you. Unless they're selling cookies or chocolate bard. :D

With contractors and such-like, check with the BBB, and ask for references. Follow up on the references. Don't do any transaction without a paper trail, and for things like auto repairs and house renovations, there should be a written contract.

And don't be so hard on yourself when you do get taken. You're talking four incidents over the course of ten years, which really isn't too bad. I'm sure, if I cared to recall them, I've had a similar record.

The problem isn't with you, the trusting ones. The problem is with the guys who betray your trust and promise what they don't deliver.

More hugs.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
It's not stupid- it's trusting. Sounds like you just want to believe that all people have as much integrity as you. What a shame they don't. :(

Last edited:

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The boat guy did a good thing and I still miss him. After 2 failed suicide attempts, he inherited over 50k when his grandfather died (about 2 years after Katrina). He had the chance to make good on his debt, but chose to p*ss away every penny in a few short months. For him, his third attempt was the charm. For those of us who loved him, it was a very bad day. Any addicts? Please get help. His addiction: alcohol.

Thanks to all for your kind words and to Yeshana for your advice. Funny thing, I'm a landscape architect and contractor. I've seen and heard the horror stories. That's why I never charge a penny upfront. My clients have to be satisfied with the complete job before I accept any payment. The good thing is, if wisdom comes with age, I'll be perpetually young. :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Funny thing, I'm a landscape architect and contractor. I've seen and heard the horror stories. That's why I never charge a penny upfront. My clients have to be satisfied with the complete job before I accept any payment. The good thing is, if wisdom comes with age, I'll be perpetually young. :)

Hmmmm. Makes me wonder if you shouldn't insititute this policy when you're the customer too.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I agree with DeleyanLee -

And with everyone else here too. Don't kick yourself for taking people at their word. Most people stand by their word, their work and their worth.

But next time, check 'em out before you fork over any cash. And don't blame yourself for what's past. Just plow ahead with the future and your new wisdom.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're only stupid if you don't change after past mistake(s). If you do, then you're just ignorant.

As my gramma says, "You can cure ignorance, but stupid is forever."

Seems to me you've got a choice. ;)

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
My mama always said to share my box of chocolates. So Susie can have half and the rest of you can share the remainng 90%.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
1. Ten years ago, I was working for a church. A guy came up and started talking to my helper and me. About 15 minutes later, he said he was working for the pastor on the corner building and wanted to do a little cleaning up. He asked to borrow my backpack blower. "Sure. No problem. Take the push broom and shovel too." As soon as he was out of earshot, my helper said, "WTF are you doing? You just lost a 450 dollar blower." "What are you talking about?" I asked. "Didn't you hear him? He wants to help the pastor." My helper laughed. And when we couldn't find the guy, he didn't let me forget it.

2. Another helper wanted to buy my boat for 10k. "Sure. No problem." I drew up a contract. We agreed that I'd deduct 25% of his paycheck each week until it was paid off. He worked about a month before Katrina hit. When I got back from a two-week evacuation, he had burned up the engine trying to rescue people stranded on their roofs. When I asked about the boat, he said it was being fixed. This went on for weeks. Finally, I got tough and said, "Please, just tell me where the boat is." He gave me the name of the marina. Nothing had been done and the cost of repair was more than the boat was worth. My helper? Got depressed from the sights of Katrina and took his life.

3. Then there's the contractor. Got ahead of me by 16k before I had to fire him for shoddy work. After 1 1/2 years, my wife and I are still living in the den as we save to redo his work and finish our bedroom and master bath.

4. The latest happened yesterday. A guy walks up my drive and calls to me in my detached office/workshop. He wants to take a dent out of my daughter's car (compliments of a hit and run driver). We talk about replacing a mirror (compliments of a driveby), painting a few rust spots, and fixing her electric window. We agree on a cash price. After a few hours, I'm called again. The dent is fixed, but covered with globs of turtle wax. The window needs a part, which they will order and install when it comes in. Same for the mirror. I look over the car and see turtle wax in all the spots that they painted. I was told it had to dry before I removed it, and the paint would look just like new. I paid them all but a few bucks for the mirror and window part that they agreed to fix. I'm not stupid. If I paid them everything, they wouldn't come back. Well, when the wax dried, I wiped it off. Globs of it. Yep, to hide the rust spots they didn't paint and the pathetic dent removal job. And their telephone number? Yep, disconnected. I really hope this doesn't help any of you - I'd hate to think there are others as stupid. Sorry I don't have any cash for all of you, but you know what they say about a fool and his money...

I numbered the incidents so I could refer to them individually.

1. You were working for a Church and the con-man threw the pastor's name around and won your trust. This is not 'stupid' of you to believe him...the con-man obviously played on your Christian heart. It's sad, but they really will stop at nothing. You did the right thing.

2. I really think this one has to be taken out of the mix because of the extenuating circumstances. This man was clearly deeply broken by what he experienced...before taking his own life he was probably racing with problems and his own inability to fix them...the boat being least among them but something that probably still weighed on him. NOT YOUR FAULT and NOT HIS. Just another victim of the disaster. Given normal circumstances, maybe this would have ended amicably.

3. 10 years ago I interviewed many contractors before choosing the one to renovate our basement. Not a minor reno...it went from nothing but concrete walls (new house with unfinished basement) to 2 bedrooms, laundry room, storage room, kitchen, full bathroom, living room and dining room. The one that I had carefully chosen based on history, referrals and investigation walked away with $30,000 of our money after about a month and some very flimsy plumbing/electrical/drywall work that had to be torn down. Was I stupid? NO. We researched and were still ripped off. These people are worse than publishing nightmares. I don't know how they do it, but they do. I finally got a legitimate guy in and we ended up paying $60K for the basement reno. I learned that you NEVER pay upfront. I even knew that going in...but the progress at first was rapid and they looked above board, etc and I fell into their trap. We expect honesty...that's not stupid...but in today's society, sadly, it puts you on the losing end of the stick.

4. I'm reluctant to come right out and say, "yes, this was stupid"...but one of my first rules of thumb is IF SOMEONE IS APPROACHING YOU, it's a sign that they are scamming you. I would never ever accept something like that...ever. I may just be smarter and more skeptical after the reno thing, but if I have dents in my car, I'm going to keep those dents until I GO SOMEWHERE AND GET THEM LOOKED AFTER. If someone comes to me, I'd tell them, "I like the dents just fine the way they are, thank you...get the hell gone, thanks."

Sorry that you were swindled. It's very sad that we can not trust people and take them at their word. There are crooks everywhere just looking for ways to take your money.

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, KTC, for taking the time to write a thorough response. I'm grateful. I now feel only 1/4 as stupid as I did. And I'm sorry to hear about your contractor problem. I hope the second one did such a good job, you don't give much thought to the rip-off artist.

Funny, I no sooner finished reading response #4 when the phone rang: a guy trying to sell me landscaping equipment. I didn't wait for him to finish before I said I wasn't interested. Is that a light at the end of the tunnel? :)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always say that I gave away the rest of my money to the last caller. If they say they take credit cards I tell them they were taken away from me. It aways ends the call.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Cool...you did the right thing. I didn't always feel that way, but now...I never take 'offers' from anybody. I always say no if they approach me...no matter what it is. I like it when the 'gas' people show up at my door trying to convince me that I will save money if I sign with them. "No thank you." "You mean to tell me that you don't want to save money?!" "That's right...I do NOT want to save money."

And, yes...I hardly think of that loss now. I felt really stupid for about 3 or 4 years...then, I thought, "I have to let this go...the place is great and it no longer matters." Letting go is the best thing to do...otherwise you just continue to hurt yourself and the bad guy wins more.

lol @ '1/4 as stupid'.