On demons, Memoirs of a Geisha and Borrowing Ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
I’m not sure where to post this, but I think here seems appropriate, since it’s a general writing question.

My current WIP deals with ghosts and demons and death and many other foul things, but it’s a charming story at heart. Anyway, it so happened that a friend of mine had just finished reading Arthur Golden’s Memoirs of a Geisha, which he offered me to read since I told him I was trying to read more books. I haven’t finished reading it yet, but so far I think it’s a fantastic read.
However, what really caught my attention was something which one of the characters (Pumpkin) mentioned in one of the earlier chapters—she said she believed her mother had died because she had brushed shoulders with a demon she was passing along a road.
Now, I’d never thought of that, but it suddenly filled in a couple of loopholes in my own WIP; I absolutely love the whole idea that if you happen to brush shoulders with a demon, you die and I really want to include that aspect into my story. My question is, would it be considered plagiarism if I used this idea in my story, given that this demon theory was only mentioned once in Memoirs of a Geisha (as far as I’ve read), mid-sentence and in passing.
Someone on these AW forums once told me that no one ‘owns’ ideas, so would I be correct to assume that there is nothing ‘wrong’ with me borrowing that idea? I’ve got some pretty grand ideas on how I’m going to implement this idea in my WIP, but I need to be sure it doesn’t count as plagiarism. Any help please?

Last edited:

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I read Memoirs of a Geisha but I can't remember that line, hm....

I would look into Japanese superstitions, since I think there's a chance that is a Japanese superstition, not something the author made up for this story. Just like how you're supposed to die if you see your own doppleganger. If it's a real Japanese belief you could even reference it if you wanted to.

Also, look up Inu Yasha because your story sounds a bit like that anime... A charming story abundant with foul critters, as you put it.

Last edited:

rxvenomqueen

I wonder if this demon is their version of the Grim Reaper...

If you're unsure about the idea, why not tweak it a little so that it's your own?

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if this demon is their version of the Grim Reaper...

If you're unsure about the idea, why not tweak it a little so that it's your own?

That's what I intend to do, but I just want to be sure I won't get sued or something, y'know? :)

Thanks tomothecat. I think I should look into Japanese mythology a bit to see where it might have come from.

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not plagiarism because, basically, you are inspired by the idea; you are not quoting the author's words or stealing the plot of Memoirs of a Geisha. You're taking inspiration from a line in the story. No harm there.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it would be plagiarism (it's not really a plot point in Memoirs and, like tomothecat, I don't even remember the line).

As tomothecat suggested, though, I would consider looking into regional superstitions and legends - not because it would be consider plagiarism but because it would be good to know.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. That pretty much clears things up for me! Now its time for serious business. ;)

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
There are other superstitions that deal with an entity that if seen or touched spells death, so I wouldn't worry at all. Looking forward to seeing this in SYW!

Reaction score
Rent a DVD called Fallen. It stars Denzel Washington, so yay!

Anyway, it's about a demon that passes from person to person through physical contact.

My thoughts on the matter are, if I lift an idea from a book or film, that's a bit dodgy. But if more than one source discusses something along the same lines, then it's in the public consciousness and therefore, fair game.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Rent a DVD called Fallen. It stars Denzel Washington, so yay!

Anyway, it's about a demon that passes from person to person through physical contact.

My thoughts on the matter are, if I lift an idea from a book or film, that's a bit dodgy. But if more than one source discusses something along the same lines, then it's in the public consciousness and therefore, fair game.

Thanks scarlet! :)

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I’m not sure where to post this, but I think here seems appropriate, since it’s a general writing question.

My current WIP deals with ghosts and demons and death and many other foul things, but it’s a charming story at heart. Anyway, it so happened that a friend of mine had just finished reading Arthur Golden’s Memoirs of a Geisha, which he offered me to read since I told him I was trying to read more books. I haven’t finished reading it yet, but so far I think it’s a fantastic read.
However, what really caught my attention was something which one of the characters (Pumpkin) mentioned in one of the earlier chapters—she said she believed her mother had died because she had brushed shoulders with a demon she was passing along a road.
Now, I’d never thought of that, but it suddenly filled in a couple of loopholes in my own WIP; I absolutely love the whole idea that if you happen to brush shoulders with a demon, you die and I really want to include that aspect into my story. My question is, would it be considered plagiarism if I used this idea in my story, given that this demon theory was only mentioned once in Memoirs of a Geisha (as far as I’ve read), mid-sentence and in passing.
Someone on these AW forums once told me that no one ‘owns’ ideas, so would I be correct to assume that there is nothing ‘wrong’ with me borrowing that idea? I’ve got some pretty grand ideas on how I’m going to implement this idea in my WIP, but I need to be sure it doesn’t count as plagiarism. Any help please?

All writers borrow ideas from each other. There's a difference between stealing something small and something that will get you into trouble. For example, if you suddenly decided you wanted to write a book about a boy who goes to wizard school, you'll get alot of raised eyebrows from people. If you decided to use the idea that strips of wood from certain trees can be used as wands, no one will say boo, because that idea has been around for a long time. I don't think you have to worry about the 'demon touching shoulders' idea. It sounds like something straight from Japanese mythologly.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in Japanese mythology, but I've lived in Japan for almost 20 years, and I've never read or heard of this outside of the book. I asked a few well-read people, but none recognized it as a well-known story.

Japanese are just as individual as any group, so there will always be people who like stories of demons. Demons and sorcery have been a part of all Asian cultures, so it could just as well been adapted from a Chinese mythological story.

There is an old story of demons and dogs. Advisers to ancient Chinese emperors told them that if they wanted to paint pictures, paint pictures of demons. Never paint a picture of a dog. Everyone knows what dogs look like, so everyone can be a critic, but no one knows what a demon looks like.

That's why all these people like to write SF... :)

I think the idea that some encounter with a demon affects a character is fair game for you to use.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
The book wasn't written by a Geisha or a Japanese at all, if I recall correctly, so it's no wonder it's not that well-known in Japan, since it was originally published in the US. They made a motion picture out of it staring Ken Watanabe and a girl whose name always escapes me.

Anyway, I really don't think anyone in the world is going to even link your story to that one line in Memoirs of a Geisha. Seriously, it's too far a stretch. So don't even think about it.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
The story of brushing shoulders with a demon is not a well-known Japanese mythological story, not Memoirs of a Geisha. Just about everyone in Japan knows the book and/or movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.