Toad Suck Road/A Real Road

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Nearly went off the road, in hysterical laughter, I did as I was buzzing down I- 40, listening to The Golden Compass, on CD (a Christmas gift from one of my cousins, and a wonderful story, too), when I saw the exit sign for, Toad Suck Road in Tennessee. I thought, you've got to be kidding! How in hell did that get by Town Council...wait, is there one?

Then, I got to wondering, what kind of gift would you bring to someone who'd just moved onto said street and was having a house warming...

Then, I thought it was an appropriate address for my bro, Chris who'd recently ripped me off. His addy should be: 666 Toad Suck Road.

When I arrived in CA, one of the oldsters in my mom's community pointed out that I needed to be careful w/ my pronunciation. Ha! She's in her 80's. I nearly choked on my dinner.

Ole' Fashioned Girl and that figment of her ever lovin' imagination and I had loads of laughs over this as did Lady Perks and her perky family. So, I had to share it w/ all of you.

It's making being in my mom's house all that much easier.

Go on, make me laugh some more :D

You have to admit, it's got to be the weirdest name for a road you've ever heard, right.

Back later, have to walk the pups while the house is being shown. Look forward to seeing the comments, later though.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
LOL!! The strangest road name I've seen was in Oregon: Horny Hollow Road. I had a good laugh over that one.

ETA: of course, there's always Big Beaver Road off of I-75 Exit 69 in the metro Detroit area. No joke.

Last edited:

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
LOL!! The strangest road name I've seen was in Oregon: Horny Hollow Road. I had a good laugh over that one.

ETA: of course, there's always Big Beaver Road off of I-75 Exit 69 in the metro Detroit area. No joke.

I live about five miles from a creek and a town both called "Beaver Creek".

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I read that as "Toe Suck Road," which would have been even worse...

That's got Noe Way beat as the worst road name ever.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live about five miles from a creek and a town both called "Beaver Creek".
In Colorado, near Vail, is another resort called Beaver Creek.

In a local shopping center, there's booze shop. It's called, naturally...

Beaver Liquors.

----

Probably my favorite snickerly places (and I have the road sign photos in a shoebox somewhere) were:

Just south of Cincinnati, a place called Big Bone Lick State Park

Somewhere on Cape Cod (near Dennis, I think), the Ram in the Thicket Restaurant.

----

Now, should anyone question my maturity - there is your answer.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There's 'Squirrel Level Road' near Petersburg, Virginia. I always thought that one was pretty funny.

psaluka

Registered
Reaction score
LOL!! Actually, I used to live in Arkansas, about an hour away from Toad Suck Park. We were near Atkins--former home of the annual beauty pagent for "Pickle Princess" (my secret name for my sister-in-law), and Booger Hollow (pronounced holler)--home of the infamous Booger Holler Tabernacle Church...You want snake handling? We got snake handling!

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Somehow, I knew you guys wouldn't let me down :ROFL:

I do believe Kola would love Squirrel Level Road. He does love to chase those things, even at almost age 12. He actually caught one a couple of weeks ago.

Hmm, I've known a few Nimrods in my day, too.

What are peeps smokin' when they come up w/ these names. Have to wonder. Then, you have to ask yourself, do I buy a house on a street w/ such a name? Gah!

SarahDavidson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I grew up in Sequim, WA, where there is a Kitchen-Dick road. A popular high school prank was to put duct tape over the K.

Also, they have a Hooker Road, named after the family with the surname Hooker which used to be pretty populous in the area. I did a title transfer for them when I worked at the escrow company, and in searching the title, I turned up a rather interesting former owner: Penny Hooker.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I grew up in Sequim, WA, where there is a Kitchen-Dick road. A popular high school prank was to put duct tape over the K.

Also, they have a Hooker Road, named after the family with the surname Hooker which used to be pretty populous in the area. I did a title transfer for them when I worked at the escrow company, and in searching the title, I turned up a rather interesting former owner: Penny Hooker.
:ROFL:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
There's Stinking Creek in N. Carolina. They have an "As Seen On TV" outlet store.

I've been down Toad Suck Rd. a couple of times. OK, I admit it, it was just to have the picture taken. hmmm I'll see if I can find it.

In Ashevelle, NC there's "Bat Cave Road". Hey, wait... maybe Miss Perks really is "Bat Girl". Bet she'd look good in the tights and cape.

I knew she had a secret identity of some sort. (Perks, not Bat Girl.)

:)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Yikes...I just want to know what the so-called founding fathers/town council of these towns, cities are thinking when they name these streets. And the poor people who have to live on the streets and the jokes that go w/ them...don't step in it, for example.

Jeez.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The meeting probably goes like this...

Joe: I'm out of names, man.
Shmoe: UGH! I just swallowed my chewing gum!
Joe: Good one! I'll write it down.