Cleaner first drafts: should I be happy or worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm revising a short story and am finding that it needs much less clean-up than my earlier WIPs. On the one hand, it could mean that I'm writing cleaner first drafts. On the other hand, it could mean I'm now overlooking my weak spots (I still catch plenty, but fewer than before). Should I be happy or worried?

Last edited:

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Ergh... I think all that matters is the finished product. As long as the finished product is good, it doesn't matter how you got there.

My two cents.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I find that over the years, my first drafts are cleaner, because I've finally absorbed the corrections to certain errors I used to make regularly. If I start to type the words just, even, really, actually, etc., I know to stop and delete. A lot of other old habits I've broken. Hopefully, what you're experiencing is something similar. You've identified your weak spots and you're learning not to make the same mistakes you used to have to correct.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It's good that your first drafts are getting cleaner. It means you're learning and growing as a writer. You know what your weaknesses were, you developed on them, and you aren't making the same mistakes you used to make.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I think it sounds like a good thing, not something to worry about. As others have said, perhaps it merely means you've improved such that you don't commit as many errors, so of course there isn't as much for you to clean up.

Best of luck. :)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should be happy. Your writing is probably "cleaner" so your drafts would reflect that. My writing has gotten cleaner since I started paragraph one to the final chapter thirty-one. I've seen a difference. Likely, yours is too. Enjoy the transition! Good luck with your WIP.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Thanks for the input, everyone! I think you're right -- it's a sign of improvement. Also, the mistakes I'm noticing now involve style and voice instead of mechanics. So I'm still making plenty of mistakes, but they're of a different kind. That, to me, is progress. :D

Reaction score
Definitely a good thing.

You'll still make mistakes, of course - but less of them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.