Netbooks vs full size notebooks which do you use to write?

Desktop, Netbook or Notebook

• Yes, desktop all the way...

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Notebooks are my choice...

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I have and use a netbook for portable writing...

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other posting thoughts below....

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I am asking those of you using Netbooks like the acer aspire or Dell mini 9. I am wanting one of those netbooks but I want to make sure writing on one is possible. I know it's not nearly as powerful as a full sized desktop or laptop, so I ask you, can you install Open Office on it and use it successfully or buy the license to Word and Office for the trial software it might or might not come with?

With only one GB of Ram I wonder if it's a good choice for someone looking for something smaller then a desktop to take around to write in places that normally you can't when tied to a desktop. So what do you think? Is it a good investment or should I just wait and save up to get a full sized lappy with 2-4GB of Ram?

Thanks in advance. I know a lot of you use the Neo and love it, but I am afraid I like having a color screen too much to go that route. ;)

Reaction score
I have no idea what a 'netbook' is. Is that the same as a laptop?

I used to have an acer aspire. Now I have an acer travelmate 5720.

mab

Registered
Reaction score
A netbook is a small laptop, mainly meant for surfing the web.

I'm someone without much money, space or technical expertise and I love my cheap little netbook. I use asus eeepc (linux)for surfing the net, writing (using openoffice) and the odd game of solitaire. It is fine for these simple tasks, and perfect for me as I don't want any fancy software or anything. Very tiny keyboard but I find it comfortable. Small screen but I don't notice it. Absolutely fine for throwing in a handbag or satchel and writing on the go - not too heavy or fragile. The OS is a bit weird but horses for courses, you could get one with windows if you so wished.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
The travelmate (just looked them up) is a full sized notebook, and the Acer Aspire is a Netbook, netbooks usually have 8-9" screens and less Ram then a full sized notebook. Did you like the Aspire when you had it? That is the model I am seriously looking at. :)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10807113

That one has a travel bag and a flash drive combo with it so that's why its just over $400. Thanks for the reply Scarlet! :D

Wow mab! You have the Asus eh? It working well for you still? :D I don't think I could get used to linux but the thing that makes it most attractive to me is the lack of viruses and attacks you'd face while using it. Do you even have a anti-virus running and a firewall with the linux system? :D Thanks for replying! :)

Reaction score
Hmm. Doesn't look like my old one. It was an acer something. Inspire, maybe.

Heh. Shows how much attention I paid.

Well I have a full size laptop and it works fine for carrying with me. I don't often, though, simply because it's an expensive piece of kit and I don't want to risk it getting bumped or broken when I take it out of the house.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I've used most of them. The Acer has a really nice extended battery available (6-8 hours real battery life).

I'm using an MSI Wind Machine. Real battery life, with wireless on, 3-4 hours. Has both wireless and bluetooth, and a webcam. Same size as the Dell 910 and a little larger than the HP Mini. But a bigger keyboard and larger real screen size than both, and I like that.

For serious writing sessions I carry a roll up keyboard that plugs in USB.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
That's why I too would not want to take a laptop around outside the house. But one of these baby's would fit in my purse and would easily work with me at the library or here if we got a wireless router. :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I use a laptop, an actual paper notebook, and a desktop for writing. Notebooks are generally when I get stuck, the laptop is when I don't want to be stuck at my desk, and the desk is when the kids aren't home (rare) and I can really focus and dive in. So the majority of what I write in on a laptop, if I was writing outside of home a lot, it would either be the paper notebook or I'd look into getting a battery with a longer life. Mine's just under 2 hours and that runs out fast when you're focused on writing.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Wow Williebee, that machine is sweet looking! So do you like the USB Flexable keyboard? I wanted one but heard that they are hard to type on for extended periods of time because you have to depress the keys kind of hard. Does it work well for you on marathon writing sessions? That battery life on the acer is awesome! Even your machine with 3-4 hours of battery life is pretty flipping awesome! Thank you for posting Williebee! :D

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
Like mab, I use an asus eeepc. It fits in a small purse, backpack, saddlebags.... very handy. Open Office came installed and is easy to use. I really, really like my asus.

It's also handy for "next to the bed". If I have a thought, I can reach over and flip the switch. Since it has linux as the operating system, it takes 15 seconds to start up (instead of forever like windows). Shut down is even faster. 6 seconds.

A friend got a Dell mini a couple months ago and absolutely loves it.

It's just a matter of taste.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
We have two laptops. The first one has a 14 inch screen. I liked that, but then the next one I got has a 17 inch screen and a full-sized keyboard with number pad. I LOVE that. Smaller, with my hands, doesn't translate into better.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
A couple of other notes, related to the subject:

Have more than one back up, in more than one physical location. (Having two keys to the car doesn't help if they are both in a bag in the back seat.)

Entech Taiwan has a spiffy tool called irotate, that lets you, quickly, rotate the screen 90 degrees so that you can hold the netbook like a book, and read. It's currently free for personal use. As always-- your mileage may vary, use at your own risk, void where prohibited by parents, teachers, bosses or mittens.

Last edited:

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I can see how that would be annoying icerose, having a great scene and be in the middle of it away from home and then the battery gets ready to blink off. I use notebooks too-college ruled. I think I will see about the acer, it really is tempting and with how my son likes to use the desktop so much it would allow me to still write even if I wasn't online. :)

Thanks for replying icerose! :D

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I've used the eepc as well. I really liked it, in solid state form (Linux). Screen is a bit smaller, keyboard is a lot smaller.

The flexible keyboard works for me. But I have a heavy keystroke. Some folks don't like it. When I found it, I was looking for the smallest, full-sized keyboard I could find, to fit in the bag. It's bright orange, it's unusual, and it rolls up out of the way in the bag. So, it works for me.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
That's really cool Lakotagirl! I can see where having linux would be a benefit. Can you port docs from the Asus to a windows desktop and still edit them in say Word or something? Or is the Asus your only system? :) Thanks for replying! :D

that's really cool Shadow Ferret! I looked at several 17" lappys but the expense is what will keep me away. I bet it's awesome having a desktop replacement lappy (what they sometimes call 17 lappys with the numberpad full size keyboard) I would go that route if DH would agree but I can't see it happening. :p Thanks for replying! :D

I agree with you on the backup Williebee. You can never have too many since flash drives can fail it makes sense to have numerous backups. That sounds like a cool utility, but not one I would use. I would be too afraid it would be stuck like that. LOL! ;)

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Paper and pens are extremely cheap, light, portable, and have indefinite battery life as long as you bring enough ink.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
I use a netbook specifically for writing. One thing you'll want to do is find a demo one and write a short document with it (two paragraphs or so) to see if your fingers are comfortable with the position of the keys. On Acer's, for example, it can be irritating because the shift button is half the size of that on a normal keyboard's, and it can cramp (my) writing style.

I have a msi Wind Notebook. It's very nice, with its (almost) full sized keyboard. :) And so small and cute.

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
I can see where having linux would be a benefit. Can you port docs from the Asus to a windows desktop and still edit them in say Word or something? Or is the Asus your only system? :) Thanks for replying! :D

Open Office is great.

I use MS Word on my desktop and on my full sized laptop. Open Office on the asus.

I don't even think about the program. Open Office opens and saves the documents just like Word. I use a flash drive to save my writing.

The last thing I do before I shut down whatever computer I am on is -
Save the current file to my flashdrive. (A copy is also saved to the computer).

The first thing I do when I start writing is -
Transfer the writing folder to the computer I am on.

So, my flashdrive and one of the computers always has the latest copy. As long as I transfer the files from the flashdrive to the current working computer, I am working on the latest copy.

(Can't forget to copy to the flashdrive before I shut down tho or I would lose a day of work.)

But, to answer your question, Open Office handles MS Word files easily without you having to worry about it.

I actually like it better than MS Word and don't know why I don't install it on my other computers. Lazy, I guess.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya
Last year I bought an Asus EEE PC. I was excited about it, but it never worked (it reverted all my docs to blank unformatted files no matter what I did). i tried to reinstall Open Office, which was disastrous, then I tried to reinstall the OS which was even more disastrous. Now it's a really pretty brick.

I just got an Acer Aspire One. I love it! I want to dance around the room with it. I put Office 2007 on it, which works well. It's small and cute. I also like that it starts up in about ten seconds. One thing about it is that the keyboard is small. If your hands are much bigger than say, the average sized woman's hands, you might have a hard time typing. I do all right, but my hands are pretty small. (The keyboard for the EEE PC is even tinier) It also has a universal card reader, and a webcam, and great wireless reception.

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the Acer Aspire One netbook late November last year and love it. The smaller keyboard did frighten me a touch at first, but playing around with it in the store gave me enough confidence in it to move ahead with the purchase. It probably took me a couple of days for my fingers to get used to the smaller set-up, but I am pretty good now and near full typing speed.

It is super-light, which I also love, thus easy to carry around for folk like me who hate lugging a laptop. I installed MS Word 97 on it, so I am good there as well. It is pretty much a pure writing machine for me (trying not to add anything distracting to it).

So, netbook = love, love, love. Love.

:)

-Michelle

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a desktop (solely for writing) and a laptop (for writing & everything else). I also have a little QuickPad (think: knock-off of Alphasmart) that's supposed to be for portable writing, but is impossible to keep on my lap and type at the same time.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome replies everyone! I feel confident the Acer Aspire is what I will buy when I'm ready. Along with a portable (though I know they're bulky) DVD RW drive. :D Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with notebooks and netbooks. I wish I could afford it now but I have to wait awhile, but it will be worth it when the time comes. I can tell. :D

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome replies everyone! I feel confident the Acer Aspire is what I will buy when I'm ready. Along with a portable (though I know they're bulky) DVD RW drive. :D Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with notebooks and netbooks. I wish I could afford it now but I have to wait awhile, but it will be worth it when the time comes. I can tell. :D

I have a portable DVD drive as well, but I mostly leave it at home. It isn't something I really need every day, just occasionally.

:)

-Michelle

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Any netbook worth its salt should be able to run OpenOffice, no matter the OS. 1GB RAM is fine for word processing, which isn't that resource-heavy. Given the limited hardware, I do strongly recommend choosing Linux over Windows if you're given a choice.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Why is that? I have never used Linux and don't know the first thing about it, can you advise me on a page or site for info on how to use a Linux OS Ubuntu which is available on the Dell Mini 9 which would be the one I might end up with. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.