Seeking Hiring/Layoff Experiences from Age 50+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen1054

Hi, Everyone,

This is my first post on this site. I'm working on two articles for FiftyPlus, a monthly publication in Richmond, VA. I'm looking for good quotes from people who have had interesting experiences trying to get a job, or who have been laid off since they turned 50. Please feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]). My deadline for the hiring article is May 30, so speed would be appreciated. Thanks!

vtwordweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Two people

I am surprised that no one has answered you yet on this one. Both my father and a good friend of mine have had this happen to them.

My father worked for a major insurance company in Boston (in a very tall building) for over 20 years. They downsized (this was probably during the late 80s/early 90s) and cut his job. He tried getting another job, but was never able to. He was offered one job here in Vermont, but the pay was much lower than he had been getting.

My friend, who is 59, worked as a trailer mechanic. That meant he repaired trailers (travel trailers for vacations, etc). He worked 7 months out of the year and was laid off for 5 months during the winter. Well, this year, he called them to make sure everything was set for him to return to work on April 1st. They told him to wait a couple more weeks. He knew something was up and called later to talk with the owner. They told him they no longer needed him because they were going into boat sails. There is not a single boat on the property and his job has been advertised in the papers. He is having problems finding a new job. He might be willing to email you if you would like. Let me know. ([email protected])

Status
Not open for further replies.