PDA

View Full Version : University Admissions Interviews

WireHair
01-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I have not had the opportunity to attend an interview for college. If you have, I'd be grateful if you tell me about it. This is to add a little life to a scene.

I am especially interested in hearing about portfolio interviews for art schools. I know what my character has to bring, but not how the interview will go.

What was your interviewer like?
Had you talked to them prior to the interview?
What questions did they open with? What other questions?
How did you feel?
What was the room like?
If the interviewee had one strike on their criminal record, would this be discussed-- or would that person not be there at all?
Any other details, really, as I said I am inexperienced with this. :)

I'll probably flesh it out more with my imagination, but I feel uncomfortable going off of nothing in a real-world based scene. Thanks for reading.

Cyia
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
It wasn't art school, but when I went to my interview, it was at the interviewer's home. Mr. Lau was very courteous; he outlined specifics about the school that weren't included in the literature. I had only spoken to him on the phone once to get his address and arrange a time. He asked general questions about what my major would be and why I wanted to attend that particular school. He wanted to know if there was anything I was uncertain about as far as the school's policies.

It was a dining room, so it wasn't as nerve inducing as sitting in a conference room or office. He asked things about school records and test scores (which they had, but was apparently making sure I wasn't willing to embellish in person or something), and things like criminal record would have come up - but not disqualified anyone out of hand. If you've had troubles, most of them want to know how you overcame them and how it changed your life.

KosseMix
01-08-2009, 07:44 PM
This is for University of Chicago interview. Not an art school, but.

* What was your interviewer like?
He was very nice, but I did get a feeling of "yet another one" coming from him with regard to me. He was the dean of admissions, so I suppose that's a reasonable feeling, though I don't know how many interviews he accepts.

* Had you talked to them prior to the interview?
No.

* What questions did they open with? What other questions?
The chat started rather informal, with questions like "How are you liking Chicago?" and "What do you think of the Campus?" It slowly moved onto more important questions regarding career intent, major intent, and background academic interests.

* How did you feel?
I have a particular problem with being very intimidated by superior people. For me, the experience was tense, rigid, and not all that comfortable. I did my best to reply in a calm, fashionable manner, but it worked at my stomach.

* What was the room like?
It was one of the conference rooms in the admissions building. Nice, clean, and decently sized for about four people.

* If the interviewee had one strike on their criminal record, would this be discussed-- or would that person not be there at all?
I don't think we would have discussed it. Having your criminal background incorporated into your entrance essay somehow would help - a sort of enlightening "I know this was bad, but I have grown and here's how it regards to academics" thing.

Hope that helps. I wish I could be more detailed for you, but I don't remember it too clearly.

IceCreamEmpress
01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
If the interviewee had one strike on their criminal record, would this be discussed-- or would that person not be there at all?

No. Prior convictions, even on major felonies, do not automatically disqualify one from college or university admission. Some institutions are more open to admitting formerly incarcerated students than others, but if your student is of the traditional student age and has only a juvenile offense on his or her record, there should be no problem at all.

WireHair
01-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Lots for me to consider for my character!

It wasn't art school, but when I went to my interview, it was at the interviewer's home.
Wow, never would have thought that it could occur in a home. I'll probably toy with this a bit. Thank you.

* How did you feel?
I have a particular problem with being very intimidated by superior people. For me, the experience was tense, rigid, and not all that comfortable. I did my best to reply in a calm, fashionable manner, but it worked at my stomach.

Oh, me too! Good thing I have plenty of time to write my character's answers. She is my opposite when it comes to this I think :) That "yet another one" mentality- I know it well. Thanks for bringing that up.

No. Prior convictions, even on major felonies, do not automatically disqualify one from college or university admission. Some institutions are more open to admitting formerly incarcerated students than others, but if your student is of the traditional student age and has only a juvenile offense on his or her record, there should be no problem at all.

Good to know. Thanks.

Palmfrond
01-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I had one exceptionally weird interview when I applied to ob/gyn residency programs. I walked into the chairman of the department's office and sat down in the designated chair. He spent *four minutes* shuffling and reading papers on his desk. He finally looked up at me and asked, "What is your IQ?" I didn't get in.

WireHair
01-10-2009, 06:52 AM
I had one exceptionally weird interview when I applied to ob/gyn residency programs. I walked into the chairman of the department's office and sat down in the designated chair. He spent *four minutes* shuffling and reading papers on his desk. He finally looked up at me and asked, "What is your IQ?" I didn't get in.
Wow, that is weird... or rude! Geez, four minutes? :rant:

reenkam
01-10-2009, 07:33 AM
This wasn't for high school, just regular college admissions interview.

What was your interviewer like?

He was pretty much a normal guy. My school has alumni do the interviews, so he wasn't an official admissions person or anything like that, but I'm guessing there's some kind of process or something they go through...not sure, though.

Had you talked to them prior to the interview?

Nope. The first and last time I saw/talked to him was for that interview

What questions did they open with? What other questions?

He asked what I might major in and what other schools I was applying to. Then he just started asking me random things like if I knew certain people at my school and stuff. It was pretty random, to be honest. I talked to him about writing and how I come up with novel ideas and he asked a lot of questions about that, though not in an academic way. It was more like he was fascinated that someone would write something longer than a letter...

How did you feel?

I was fine going in there. As the interview went on, I got a little confused. His questions were kind of random. I wasn't nervous, though. I'm fine with interview situations, so that wasn't a problem.

What was the room like?

It was his office at his practice. He's a urologist, so it was in a big building.

I don't think my interviewer would have known about it. But the person could definitely be there. It might come up. I think it would depend on how the school does interviews and who's actually doing the interview.

WireHair
01-11-2009, 06:08 AM
This wasn't for high school, just regular college admissions interview.

What was the room like?

It was his office at his practice. He's a urologist, so it was in a big building.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding-- I did mean college :)
All your answers seem so varied (urology office? Wow) that I don't think it's likely that I'll be "called out" for something on this scene... What do you guys think?

MissKris
01-11-2009, 08:46 AM
I interviewed for my Master's program, but it was not art school. I do remember, however, my interviewer beginning with a compliment. She told me she really liked my red suit and thought it worked nicely with my hair.

Overall, it was a comfortable interview. We both knew that I was a shoo-in for the program (sorry if that sounds arrogant), but I can imagine how stressful it would be, especially in ultra-competitive art school, to sit for an interview and not know the outcome for days or weeks.

My interview took place in a typical university office: nothing special.

katiemac
01-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I didn't have an interview. Only the online application. (Not art school.)

reenkam
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe there was a misunderstanding-- I did mean college :)

Woops!

I meant to say it wasn't art school, just regular college.

Not sure where "high school" came from...